Anyone fishin' with glass ?

Rob G

Just curious if we have several Bassbuggers out there that fish smallies with fiberglass rods ?  About 5 or 6 years ago, I started fishing a lot more with glass, maybe a little out of nostalgia, but mostly for panfish such as bluegill, red ear, and crappie, but the last couple of years I have chased smallies with a glass rod as well.  I personally find that I have to concentrate a lot more on my cast, as any little hitch or error in my stroke is exacerbated and my hookset needs to be more pronounced than with fast graphite.......But they sure are fun when you get a good one on.

asd.jpg

About 75% of the time with glass. From 4 to 10wt. some older rods are more work but the right lenght & line make a big difference. Some favorites

Phiilipson 7' 6" wt,

Fisher 8'  6wt. S glass

Lamiglas 8'  6wt.

Orvis superfine (recent) 6 & 8wt.

I could go on but you should know I also like early graphite thats moderate in action

Sage RPL 7wt.

Scott Heliply 7wt.

Come to the Cast & compare in September, I'll have more than a few to try. Or maybe we get together closed to you sometime for a casting day.

John

I recently inherited a few vintage glass rods that appear to be 7/8 weights, but I have yet to fish with any of them. I have been thinking about picking up an Eagle Claw 3 wt fiberglass for panfish and tiny streams, but seldom use my 3 wt Cabela’s  Three Forks graphite  rod which I love. 

Greatly enjoying a borrowed vintage Fenwick FF756 but only in ponds.  I have not caught a smallie with one.  Judging by the fight a bluegill puts up it would be a blast.  

My goal is to find a rod that would ride the fence between bass and bluegills.  One to keep in the car all the time.   This is comming close.

I'm not sure if Fenwick had a FF765 or if this is a typo.  But I copied and pasted from Fly Fish Ohio and this fits the description. 

Fenwick FF765

A 7 ½ foot, 3 ounce, two-piece rod for a six weight line.  This is a most decidedly “unglass-like” glass rod. It has a crisp, fast action that is the equal of any mid-flex or medium action graphite rod in my collection. It has a unique tapered grip, a design proprietary to Fenwick.  This Fenwick also features properly sized guides for modern fly lines. There is a reason the Fenwick glass rods are among the most collectible in the industry. In their time, they were one of the best-designed and most effective fly rods available – and they still are!
I like this rod for use in my canoe. It may fly against popular opinion, but I believe use of a long fly rod “to keep the back cast off the water when fishing from a low canoe or float tube” is a fallacy. If your back cast is hitting the water a few casting lessons, and not a longer rod, is the best solution. 

The Fenwick FF765 matches very nicely with a Pflueger 1494½ reel and a 6-weight double taper line.  The manageable length of the Fenwick makes casting in small, brushy streams a delight.  The quick action and strong butt section means even the most feisty smallmouth can be subdued. 

Fly Fish Ohio is Gone, hopefully this link will work:

Fiberglass Fly Rods - Classic Beauty and Bulletproof Performance (archive.org)

Mark, not sure about the 7 1/2 ft but the 8 ft 6 wt Fenwick glass was extremely common.  Can't believe they're going for that much old and abused.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134152519538?hash=item1f3c1cff72:g:s38AAOSwXbRisfix

John, I knew you were a big proponent of glass for smallies but didn't realize you had acquired a bunch of both newer and older rods.  Have you ever owned or cast a Steffen 8 ft. 5/6 weight, many of the glass guys rave about that particular rod?

My 2 glass rods that I've been chasing Smallies with are both 8 ft. 5 wt. but fairly fast actions for glass. 

13 hours ago, Rob G said:

Mark, not sure about the 7 1/2 ft but the 8 ft 6 wt Fenwick glass was extremely common.  Can't believe they're going for that much old and abused.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134152519538?hash=item1f3c1cff72:g:s38AAOSwXbRisfix

John, I knew you were a big proponent of glass for smallies but didn't realize you had acquired a bunch of both newer and older rods.  Have you ever owned or cast a Steffen 8 ft. 5/6 weight, many of the glass guys rave about that particular rod?

My 2 glass rods that I've been chasing Smallies with are both 8 ft. 5 wt. but fairly fast actions for S glass. 

I did a sold search.  There are some going for less. But yeah anything old goes for a. good buck today. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Fenwick+ff806&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=60455&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=60&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

So I wonder.  If it's desirable to have faster action glass rods wouldn't slower action graphite rods accomplish the same thing. Remember the Fenwick  eagle rods, they had green and gold wraps.

These old st. Croix rods too.  LOL I bet this whole outfit sold new for $150. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165545839103?hash=item268b4d09ff:g:siYAAOSwQjxitNYb

I got the glass bug a while ago when I was really turned off by some fast action rods. I've had the Echo 9ft Riverglass in 5w and the Badass glass 8w in the quiver for a while now and I love them. I use the 5w for driftless trout, smaller river bass and panfish, when larger fish bend that into the cork I get a cheesy stupid smile every time. The 8w is blue like a freaking lightsaber and handles tighter fishing in rivers for larger fish really well. It swings and loads faster, good for shooting heavy lines and flys, I've found an intermediate line that keeps the leader short and pulls down big bushy stuff is really sweet. It's not the lightest rod but has power for heavy weight forward lines, fair tradeoff. 

I also have an old white fiberglass wonder rod that needs to be tested eventually. metal ferrules make my elbow hurt to look at...

Funny you mention the ff809, I love that and planned a ff786? clone. I have a 7w blue halo blank in green, a sweet downlocking real seat, but I'm still looking for a proper fenwick handle.. Anyone out there build rods? 

Rich, I thought most of those Redington Buttersticks came in a sort of creamy yellow color, or am I wrong?  This particular glass blank that I built on is a fairly bright orange and was recommended by an acquaintance that is knowledgeable on glass rods/blanks.  There are a ton of glass blanks out there but according to him, most of course are made in China, and the few made in the US, go for really big dollars, like those Steffen Bros. blanks.  I'm not willing to spend almost $300 on just the blank if I can't cast the finished rod beforehand.   Yours truly, The Frugal Flyrodder

6 hours ago, Rob G said:

Rich, I thought most of those Redington Buttersticks came in a sort of creamy yellow color, or am I wrong?  This particular glass blank that I built on is a fairly bright orange and was recommended by an acquaintance that is knowledgeable on glass rods/blanks.  There are a ton of glass blanks out there but according to him, most of course are made in China, and the few made in the US, go for really big dollars, like those Steffen Bros. blanks.  I'm not willing to spend almost $300 on just the blank if I can't cast the finished rod beforehand.   Yours truly, The Frugal Flyrodder

The buttersticks were a black and off white with 70's retro logos.  Sierra trading post had them for $150 a month or so ago.  i saw a 4wt in the store. 

I think they changed the color to some outlandish flouro scheme. 

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

Mark, so they're not this anymore ?

13708-large.jpg

Sorry Rob, I got it wrong.  It's a different model.  It's the trailblazer.

I saw the 4wt Butterstick in person the older one. It was very short and slow action, but very nicely made. 

I saw the new Fenwick Fenglass, which is now discontinued.  They were nice too.

Fenwick Fenglass Fly Rods (fish-united.com)

On 7/29/2022 at 10:38 AM, Ben K. said:

Sweet! I always thought those medalists On a fenwick ff series where classy looking. How loud is it? 

It looks totally sweet, I have it on a FF755 that I think is the older one with the translucent orange blank. 

A little louder than Battenkills. But I don't have line on it. I think line will muffle it some.  

• 1 month later...

If you have time this Saturday morning join us in Batavia at the Cast & Compare. I'll have several new & old glass rods to cast plus some early Scott G series graphite & more vintage rods by Bob Rogers. Today from Jeremy at Dupage Fly,

We are bringing the following rods:

NEW Scott WAVE  7wt

NEW Sage R8     5WT

New Scott Centric 4wt

Glooms NRX+ 7wt

Among a few others

Details in events forum & on the calendar.

• 4 months later...

Another arrow in the quiver.  Just finished building a new glass rod intended for smallies, built on a Moonlit S-Glass 8'2" 6wt rod blank.  It is a tip over butt ferrule design and 4 piece.  It has a fairly fast action and is lightweight for a glass rod.  I have yet to fish with it but as to yard casting, I'm impressed.  

bb.jpg