Tying Tables

John Gillio

I'm curious, as many may be, about how people have their fly tying areas set up. Or, is your main setup portable? I'll start his off with my setup and would love to see others jump in with their own, or just add comments as to how tables and stations can be better organized, improved, etc. 

I am set up under the stairwell to the basement. My desk is in the center with supplies stored to the right, left, and above me. The desk was picked up from an old neighbor who was junking it.  Fur, synthetics, and stuff🙄 are stored in plastic on a bookshelf to the left (covered with a screen to keep the cat out). Feathers are in plastic in an old stereo system cabinet to the right.  Small items like beads, dumbbell heads, hooks, dubbing, etc are above hung from nails.        20200417_101218.thumb.jpg.364d14adedcbc14e78ffc05b6d9d222b.jpg

John, you couldn't have timed this thread much better as I just finished cleaning up my bench.   Behind my table, I keep all my materials organized in those plastic drawers.  I know, my work area is rather boring, not nearly as fisherman cool as yours.

John, I'm not a clean freak but I can't handle a lot of clutter very long.  Ha  

I almost tossed that out there that people could gain bonus points towards Mike G's prize if they knew what that apparatus is.   Suffice it to say, one similar to it served as my first fly tying vise  almost 40 years ago.  I know it's difficult since you're only seeing part of it  but any ideas ?   Timothy, you can't play in this one. Ha 

i took over one of my daughters bedrooms years ago. i use a tool chest as my desk  3big drawers on the bottom for craft hair,yarn,marabou then the smaller drawers for nail polish, markers. on top is a 24 x 48 pressboard .. it sits on a 2x4 frame that is in the well that a tool box would be .  the table top is about 42 inches off the ground. i have a 12x15 plywood extending toward me  like a diving board . this allows me to sit on a tall stool and gives me leg room. .   i really dont like tying at others venues as i have to pack up all my stuff and  they normally have basic banquet tables and chairs.  i have since learned that by putting leg extenders under the tables it does make it higher and more like at home.

• 4 months later...
50 minutes ago, Nickk said:

My daughter recently left the nest and I picked up a roll top desk on Craigs list for $75,  I don't have the tying station set up yet but I'm dying to get it done

That should be nice. I picked up a roll top a few yrs back at a garage sale and set it up in a room my wife is using as a storage room in her place of business. I'm right across from the main office near the entrence to the business. This is nice because I get to visit when clients come in. An elderly friend gave me a number of vices and a bunch of tying materials that I store there also. It all comes in handy as I have been doing tying demos for the BFAs fishing expo, a fishing rodeo for a sportsman's club, and other odds and ends. I'll try to remember to take a photo and post it here. Fill us in when you get set up.

This is my tying room at Music Suite 408 at the Fine Arts Factory. The other half of the room is storage space for office supplies and such. The photo above my desk was taken by a friend the artwork to the left was a gift. The rest is some of my photography that we use to fill in the gallery when no artist is on display. 

20200821_123422.thumb.jpg.b5ea883eb1dbdb11c70f41d8f64a4fe5.jpg

My station is very messy at the moment, I have been tying randomly through out this fishing season. This is my basement. It is a music studio, tying station, office man cave.

I like seeing what you all have going on. Rich you have to post a pic of your station, I am intrigued!

IMG_1861 3.jpeg

• 7 months later...

Nice Topic, I am one that enjoys seeing others creation stations also. I know after many years of tying you accumulate many items, and it also becomes an addiction! The big thing for me is I have to keep somewhat organized because the mice enjoy stealing materials to make there nest.

Fly_Tying_Area_1.jpg