Flood before and after

John Gillio

One more for those familiar to the area. This was taken from the porch of the cabin across the river from Matthiessen State Park, across from the old bridge pilings. Between the porch and the tree line would be the field. On the other side of the tree line would be the main channel of the river where the piling is laying in the water.
post-1215-0-92329600-1366329454_thumb.jpg
The white house to the west was flooded out.

I took this shot of the same spot today 4-29-13

post-1215-0-49557800-1367292111_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting, great pics and references. It always comes to my mind during significant weather events how little we actually control nature. We can bottle up a river by damming. We can erect great structures to defy gravity. Yet in the end it is the will of God and the natural world that can overtake us in a moment.

• 3 months later...

The Tribune noted today that in much of the Midwest Since July 1st it is the driest it has been in 69 years. The rivers are going down fast.

• 2 weeks later...

John, Can you now get acsess at cement plant in Ogglesby to old dam, and where else would you recommend to get shore access to wade.

Dan, I have had access to that area most of my life, but the mill has cut off access to all but a choice few. They have been fining people who are caught on their property. You may drift the river, but dropping an anchor or getting out to wade is a no no. They can do this because they own both sides of the river, thus they own the river bed. It was once an easy 5-10 min trip for me to some fine water. It would be nice if the DNR could somehow get ahold of the river to allow waders in, but that doesn't look very likely.

The only access areas,unless you know a land owner, are at the bridges and through Matthiessen State Park. Much of the park borders the mills property, so care must be taken to stay clear of it. Pretty much everything from just above the wildcats to a few hundred yards downstream of the narrows, downstream from the dam, is off limits to fishermen.

• 9 months later...

Only fished this area for smallies once this year. I had numbers but half were 8" and less. Only two over 11", one at 13" and one at 17". River has been a bit high until now. Have been spending my time closer to Oglesby. Game fish have been lacking so I have changed my focus to Grass carp with the fly rod.. Lowell area to takeout has been full of rafts, kayaks, and canoes.

Foiled again! Was hoping for a carp outing but rains upstream jumped the river back up a few feet from 8:00 am Sat. to 8:00 am today. The river is still rising. Bob at Vermilion River Rafting has a smile on his face today as he thought business may be ending for the season. I on the other hand :( . Check out the river level scale on the bridge in the photo above to the photos below.

post-1215-0-84068400-1402325839_thumb.jpgpost-1215-0-19225100-1402325866_thumb.jpgpost-1215-0-78887000-1402326004_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

(Cough cough). Been awhile since I logged on to this site. Glad to see everyone is still kicking.

John, I have only fished the V once all year. If the river drops a few more inches, it may be time to wade.

Manny, I was just thinking about trying to get in touch with you. The same thing was on my mind. I guess all fishermen think alike. The river here is all backed up by the high levels of the Illinois. I imagine it should be getting much closer to fishable upstream by you. Keep in touch and let me know when you would like to give it a try. I am itching to get back out on the river. Glad to hear from you.

And to think, just a few years ago was such a severe drought with crop damage, aquifer depletion, etc. Remember when there was talk about not fishing for bass because it would stress them out too much in the heat and low oxygen?

It sure has come full circle! My lawn has never looked better in July! But the mosquitos are enough to keep you indoors.