9/25 Wet Wading

Terry Dodge

Yup. Usually able to wet wade until mid-October..............sometimes later. But, I hate waders so I like to push the wet-wading envelope.

That's me too. I wet waded this past weekend and probably will if I head to the k3 tonight. I have never understood the need for breathable waders, but I don't put them on until the air is cold.

I have never understood the need for breathable waders, but I don't put them on until the air is cold.

Because there are creepy crawlies in the water that I don't like touching me,but am usually ok with clear knee deep water :D

I don't like to wet wade for the same reasons that Jim and Scott mentioned. I also had a poison sumac once while wet wading; and I don't want it to happen again. Some of the spots that I fish, I have to bushwack to get to them or to get out.

I've pretty much taken ticks out of the equation since wearing my waders all the time on the dupage. Before that, I would almost always find them on me, or in my car after fishing certain parts of the Dupage. Plus, Ill admit it, I'm a pack rat, and my waders have three more pockets to fill up! Tom, I too got poison something while wet wading in the Ozarks, not sure of what variety. Itchy rash from mid thigh to just above the belly button. Miserable! Ryan

Measured water temps down here at 60 degrees on Monday afternoon. I'm probably back in my waders for the rest of the season and the neoprenes will be donned shortly. Do be careful wet wading with open sores on your legs, since I've heard of a few staph or strep infections brought about by those conditions. When I do wet wade I always wear long pants to avoid those pesky plants, but I do use the newer high tech lite weight materials that won't absorb water and weigh me down. Also they dry very quickly walking back to the car.

I did some wet wading in CT yesterday while visiting with customers and really had a blast doing it. I invited the VP of Sales out with me who has been wading in waders while fly fishing for the past 20 years and he said it was something else to feel the water pressure and temperature changes again against his skin in this beautiful trout stream. He said it took him back to his noodling days when he was a poor boy growing up in Georgia. I looked a bit confused as I was naturally unfamiliar with this type of fishing, so he went into detail about the sport of noodling and the wet wade abilities it entails. I'll tell ya, I don't mind wading in suit bottoms in rivers up north or out east, with the cold, bugs, and bushes. But to trust the waters down south in nothing but your shorts takes some big bobbers!

Cast Away,

AC

It is fun for the whole family.

[media=256]

[/media]

That's me too. I wet waded this past weekend and probably will if I head to the k3 tonight. I have never understood the need for breathable waders, but I don't put them on until the air is cold.

when you take meds that make you susceptible to bleeding easily and have medical conditions that don't allow you to heal easily, you appreciate breathables. I would love to still be able to wet wade.

not matter how you wade cover any cuts, scrapes etc in a liquid bandage to keep any micro fauna out of your system

when you take meds that make you susceptible to bleeding easily and have medical conditions that don't allow you to heal easily, you appreciate breathables. I would love to still be able to wet wade.

not matter how you wade cover any cuts, scrapes etc in a liquid bandage to keep any micro fauna out of your system

This is something I had never considered, so thank you for pointing it out. I have never considered wet wading to be something I ought to be glad to be able to do. I really do leave the waders behind as soon as the air temp hits the 60s. Its a little bracing first thing in the morning, but it always feels like the season has really begun to me. This conversation has made me conscious that I'm lucky to be able to do it.

I'm currently working in the Milwaukee area and have been hitting up the Milwaukee river on a regular basis. I decided last week would be it for wet wading. Honestly though the temps are fine and I could have easily wet waded; however after my third leech

removal I feel much more comfortable in my waders. I cant understand how one would not like waders, the ankle support alone is worth it to me. I do wish I had some breathable ones, I just have thermal and got way overheated while fishing with Paul T. last fall on the Rock.

• 4 weeks later...