Novice/Intermediate Streamer Tying Pattern Recommendations

Ryan S

Hey all,

When I started tying last year I got some great recommendations on some beginner patterns to start with. I was wondering if you all have some recommendations for some streamer and jig patterns that aren't too difficult to tie but can help build some skills as I start to build some boxes for my 6 and 8 weights. I have a pretty good general selection of commonly used tying materials (rabbit strips, hackle, marabou, deer hair, bead heads, eyes, lazer dub, chenille and estaz, UV rez, etc.) and hooks in size 8-1/0. Trying not to buy too many new materials. Some things I've already tied:

1. Standard Wooly buggers
  2. Clouser minnows
  3. Murdich minnows
  4. Deceivers

Thanks!

I agree with John, a popper or at least some noisy top water would be desirable.  Another to consider is a Hollow Fleye tied in either a synthetic material like craft fur (shown below) or bucktail.  I generally won't leave home without at a least a couple as their action of a wounded baitfish can often trigger strikes.  Great for the greenies as well.

bb.jpg

Looks like you’re in good shape. Those  recommendations are money. I’ll suggest learning to spin or pack deer hair heads for divers and muddlers and stuff. Not gonna lie it’s kind of a pain, and it is really messy. Looks damn good though and can give lots of action to streamers. 

7 hours ago, Ryan S said:

I’ve got quite a bit of foam lying around. Let me know any good patterns you recommend John

I use preformed soft foam popper bodies from WAPSI called perfect poppers. I believe there is a tutorial in the bassbugger forum on making blockhead poppers from craft foam. That may be something for you to look into. It may have been a few yrs back. There are a number of different popper styles mentioned in the forum.

22 hours ago, John Gillio said:

I use preformed soft foam popper bodies from WAPSI called perfect poppers. I believe there is a tutorial in the bassbugger forum on making blockhead poppers from craft foam. That may be something for you to look into. It may have been a few yrs back. There are a number of different popper styles mentioned in the forum.

I'll do a search. Thanks

The Hairy Fodder deserves honorable mention as it comes from Bass Bugger's founding father, Craig Riendeau. Just google it up for many instructions on how to.

Something along this line is pretty cool.   He says to use 6/0 thread and body hair.  I used gsp and belly hair.  Belly hair is more hollow so it floats more.

He says:

This is a relatively small deer hair bug. I would recommend using deer body hair rather than deer belly or elk hair. Deer body hair will pack much tighter in the small space allowed for the collar and head because it's not as coarse.

you do you. 

Divers and Sliders - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean

He has a lot of cool patterns on his site.  

4 hours ago, Mark K said:

Divers and Sliders - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean

He has a lot of cool patterns on his site.  

Agree, I've tied up many of the flies found on that site for many many years, a lot of basic no nonsense but very effective patterns.  Don't hesitate to venture into all the pattern categories, as there are some real gems there.

5 hours ago, Rob G said:

Agree, I've tied up many of the flies found on that site for many many years, a lot of basic no nonsense but very effective patterns.  Don't hesitate to venture into all the pattern categories, as there are some real gems there.

Thanks @Mark K and @Rob G. Already seem a few patterns on this site I am looking forward to tying. Already have everything for the basic fly rod tube fly. Also looking at the Carters weighted rubber legs.

http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns6.asp?page=16 

http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns6.asp?page=9 

On 2/6/2022 at 11:24 AM, Mike G said:

The Hairy Fodder deserves honorable mention as it comes from Bass Bugger's founding father, Craig Riendeau. Just google it up for many instructions on how to.

Thanks @Mike G haven't seen this pattern before. Definitely going to try tying one of these up. Some the creator tying on on youtube with an interesting "removable" dumbell eye technique.

10 hours ago, Travis Stafford said:

Bad Hair Day on a b10s size 2 , this one is slightly keel weighted.  I tried blending a few shades of craft fur but you can’t really tell.  Fairly easy tie and you can find it on YouTube.  I wanted to add some simple lil baitfish stuff to my box

209C021C-6DC6-4324-9113-A9D065215A2D.jpeg

@Travis Stafford great rec! Just what I was looking for. Found a solid step by step and have all materials and B10s hook in size 2 on hand. Thanks!

Nice tie Travis.  Some flies look great in the vise but fish poorly once you add water.  But wait till you see how this fly moves in the water on a quick strip and pause, excellent erratic action of a wounded baitfish.  To help get it down just a bit more, don't hesitate to use a sink tip line, or I prefer to just use my floating line but wrap a little bit of lead around the leader to get it down just a tad more.    

Excellent work Travis!  I believe the fly that Alan Sherman will be demonstrating tonight at the zoom fly tying session, the "Fuzzy Bug" was inspired by the "Harry Fodder" fly,  but I'm sure Alan will be addressing this tonight.  

I've been tying a ton of streamers  lately.  I have not been able to test them yet.  But I hope they will work.  Here is a list of flies I've been tying,  pollys pride,  one eye poacher variants,  clousers,  slump busters,   bucktail streamers,  and feather wing streamers.  These flies should work well out east for trout.   Some one of the flies was the  little brown trout. I actually took a class on bucktail streamers from  fly masters of Indiana  right before covid .  Ian Anderson of dressed iorns on you tube ( link below) . Ian and I  had a one on one class.  I was the only guy to show up.  It was a  load of fun and learned a ton.