A machine that dries out wet cell phones

Dick G

I saw an article today about a rental device called the Redux that can dry out a wet cell phone. They say it works like a microwave oven. It is available at Verizon Wireless stores. For ten dollars they will analyze your wet phone and tell you if it can be salvaged. For a fee ($80-$100 bucks) they can dry it out and recover all functions. Sounds like something a stream fisherman could use.

That price was for an I Phone. It was much less for a less technological phone. I just wish they could salvage cameras. I've dropped 2 of them in rivers. The article was in the Tribune's business section today. Check it out.

I looked into this option too since I'm on my 5th phone in 2 years. For 30 bucks I got phone drying/recovery service for two years, signed up figured it was a no-brainer with my track record. They have the machine at the verizon store on Weber rd in Removille.

Now I'm thinking I should have put mine in the microwave after dunking it in the Kankakee.....no?

Bag of rice NEVER worked for me.....

Your supposed to use uncooked rice. Not leftover fried rice from Tom's place.

First, don't ever put your phone in a microwave. The radiation will wipe out programming and then go on to overheat metal parts and melt plastic parts.

But here is something you can do at home, (though getting professional service like Ken talks about sounds better for more expensive equipment). The following is a true story.

About a month ago someone in our household left her Samsung "Penny " phone in her sweat pant's pocket and proceeded to wash the pants in our Whirlpool Cabrio, with Tide Fresh HE, regular cycle, warm wash, cool rinse, spin dry. When we found the phone, I removes the decorative case, dried the phone and popped open the battery compartment and wiped off the battery and compartment. Since a lot of moisture was visible inside the display window, I refrained from attempting to turn it on. But I did remember that years ago we dropped a hand calculator in a sink full of water. After a few days drying on the kitchen window sill, it functioned like new. So I thought I would try it.

I set the disassembled phone on a towel on the dinning room table hoping that the dry winter indoor air would do the trick. After a day there was still moisture visible in the display windows. I moved the phone to a sunny spot to see if low heat would help. It did, but there was still moisture in the windows two days later. Next I used a heating pad set on low to provide controlled low heat. My indoor thermometer read 100 F on the surface of the heating pad cover. After a day on the pad, there was no moisture visible in the windows. I gave it another day just to be sure. Then I reassembled the phone and battery and turned it on. Nothing happened. I resigned myself to buying a new phone.

In a dream that night, a thought came to me. "Maybe the battery is dead." Next day I plugged the charger into the phone and plugged in the charger. The dead phone came to life telling me it was charging. About 6 hours later it played a tune and told me that it was charged. To shorten the story, we tested all the functions and everything was fine. Lists were in tact, photos were still in memory, etc. etc. etc...

Faith and patience are important here. Faith, believe that electronic devices can be dried out and used again. Patience, resist the temptation to pass live current through the device until you are really really really sure it is really really really dry.

Ed,

A bit off topic, but I saw today that the Chicago Sun Times reported on your daffodils. Dale Bowman's column. A sure sign of spring.

Worst episode I ever had was when I dropped my cell in the Kankakee, then got lost in the woods on a death march with Rego. Couldn't call anybody to find my extraction point. Of course, nobody gets a signal in this God-forsaken dead spot anyway....but still.

Quite a while ago when mobile phones were first becoming popular, my buddy Kevin and I were drift fishing the Dupe in my kayak and my anchor caught some rebar in swift water and sucked the front of the kayak under, which quickly filled with water, dumping Kevin and I (and all our gear). Kevin's Blackberry got soaked and like Mike G., he very carefully dried it out and fully recovered it. I didn't even have a mobile phone at the time!

The good old days!

I was able to take the shoreline downstream and get ahead of all our gear and recovered all but one wrapped sandwich. We were both soaked and it was a cool mid-October day. We toughed it out the rest of the float and managed 5 nice smallmouth with two 18".

Worst episode I ever had was when I dropped my cell in the Kankakee, then got lost in the woods on a death march with Rego. Couldn't call anybody to find my extraction point. Of course, nobody gets a signal in this God-forsaken dead spot anyway....but still.

I wrecked one in the Kank also... lost my balance and the current took me down. Manged to dry it out by just letting it sit for a couple days. I did lose the star key so had to get a new phone despite everything else working.

A death march with Rego huh... I've been on several of those. You think I would have learned my lesson after the first couple :lol: always a good time and fish are caught so I guess that's why I go back.

The preferred camera of the ISA NW region.

I have one of those purchase a few years ago. The manual says that you should send it in each year to have the seal replaced. Do the newer models still have that requirement?

• 2 weeks later...