Really Need Some Rain.........

Terry Dodge

Careful... I remember some previous complaints about dry conditions and some people on this site started doing some funky rain dances. I seem to recall some torrential downpours and blown out rivers... not saying the two are related, just saying... ;)

Here's my sure cure. Let's start tradin' information on how to fish in dry low water conditions. Where do you fish? What do you use? How do you present? If Kevin's right about the jinx, our waters should be brimming over in no time.

I'll start by suggesting that surface lures in low light conditions should really be productive.

I have been finding my fish in either very shallow water with very high current or at the upstream base of riffle pools with deeper water. All have been decent fish for these flows but very difficult to find. Gotta work ur tail off.

For whatever it's worth over 50% of the next 25 days will have temps in the 90s with only about 1.5" of rain in all that time according to accweatther.Reminds me of that hellish summer of '88 when everday seemed to be in the 90's with some 100's thrown in for good measure.

I fished the main branch of the Kish on Sunday and the river was low and was full of floating green slimy foam that is shown in your picture. The water had about 12 to 18 inches of visibility. As the day went on and the sun came out, the slimy foam increased. Eddies that that were about 20 percent covered with the foam in the morning were 90 percent covered in the early afternoon. My fishing partner's tan colored waders turned green, and my rod, fly line, and reel were covered with green slime. I washed my waders thoroughly when I got home and the water in the utility sink had a green tinge to it.

I have seen the Kish turn dark like this in low water summer conditions, but this is the first time that I have seen green slime make the river look like a lake. The river could use a charge of rain to clean the slime out of the river.

Most of the fish that we caught were caught in high current areas. My partner caught more fish on swim jigs and spinner baits than I caught on on flies, probably because the vibration of his lures was triggering the fish in the stained water. I had quite a few short hits on flies, but I did catch a couple of sixteen inchers along with some smaller fish.

Real nice going! It's been real tough for. This picture is of the north branch, the south branch has no slime but does have a heavy rusty color look to it.

I fished the north branch on Friday and the branch looked fine then. On Sunday morning I hit the area around I-39 and couldn't believe all the foam that was collecting in that area. Then in the late afternoon I returned to the river and took the picture you see above and then got my but kicked on a 4 hour wade.

Defiantly tough fishing out there.

Our rivers down here are also hitting those 1988 lows, the Middlefork that normally has about 200 cfs flow is down to 15 cfs, meaning it's become a series of ponds. The good news is that one stream that is normally too deep to wade is now more accessible.

Fish early at daybreak and then at dusk would be my helpful hint, seems they may be a tad more agressive at those times and less easily spooked.

what rain dance ? I'm taking the 5th.

we got rain last week, 7 to 8 inches in less than 24 hours. I hope you get some, just spread out a little better.

rain dances availible, clothing optional. you supply the virgins.

I hit the south branch yesterday and was

surprised by the water color/clarity. I did manage one 15 in smallie and several missed hits on top water. Last week the water was clear and I was sight fishing with ease.

what rain dance ? I'm taking the 5th.

we got rain last week, 7 to 8 inches in less than 24 hours. I hope you get some, just spread out a little better.

rain dances availible, clothing optional. you supply the virgins.

This is exactly the kind of irresponsible, damn the consequences, powerful rain dances I'm talking about. I think that Terry guy in the NW region did some funky dance too. ;):D:lol:

Guest rich mc

someone did a rain dance good downpour came tonight thru shabbona. may save the crops for the farmers look for the south branch to push some water north. rich mc