Have Gas Prices Impacted Your River Fishing?

It cost me 56 dollars to fill up my tiny 22mpg truck yesterday.

I heard an analyst speculate that would not be suprising for oil to hit 200 bucks a barrel next year.

Just curious if those of you with a long drive are going to change any fishing habits due to gas prices.

I was thinking about it the other day. Most of my life I've had long commutes to work so driving long distances just became second nature and it wasn't a big deal to drive a long way just for a few hours of fishing.

I used to drive over a 100 miles just for maybe two or three hours of fishing. (incedently in those days, I did pretty well, probably fished harder).

That's pretty wasteful and, now that I think about it downright un-green. Pretty shameful actually.

The really ironic part is I work a stones throw from the Fox and the Dupe is sort of on my way home. I just like fishing the Kank mostly because I think it's prettier, cleaner and just a better experience. At 4 dollars plus a gallon, I think I'm going to have to lower my standards a notch. I'm not abandoning the Kank but I don't forsee a lot of all day marathon wades in the near future to justify the 30 bucks it will cost to get there, so I think a lot of my river smallie fishing is going to be on the way home from work. a stop for maybe an hour or two.

Probably end up fishing more ponds a even FP lakes locally too.

It's just gotten too expensive to drive any more and if I think to consider oneself environmentally responsible, you have to "walk the walk".

Might have a lot of fish pics with bridges in the background this summer.

Guest rich mc

i can see many more local trips [shabbona is 3miles from house] and i also see more anglers sharing rides to split the gas cost. also looking to run a few smalli hunter weekday evening events on the kish in dekalb after they spawn. rich

I now tend to walk/wade more in one area and do less driving spot hopping. It's a 5 to 20 minute drive to most spots from home to river so that's not bad. It's 40 minutes home to work, got rid of the van and got a 30 mph plus car so that helps. I carpool with a guy at work as well.

yes work far from home and spend $$$$ :blink: on that will walk to fish when and were i can fox close and duper ponds by my house have stop eating out and other other slimple things tax relife check goinng to pay bills might save a litttle for fishing goodies :(:(

The only things that have changed is where I fish. I don't fish the Fox anymore I now stick primarily to the

Kankakee and Dupage.I use to drive around scouting areas but now I do it by computer and messaging.

My Dakota gets about 19 mpg. so a single round trip to the K3 is about $18 and the Dupage about $13.

Two trips to each per week adds up to $62-not bad.

From 1984 -2000 there were only 2 years when I didn't drive to the Rockies to trout fish for 2- 3wks.After the financial beating I took when the market crashed in this millenium those trips are gone for good with the price of gas going forward.I'm even reluctant to go as far as Wisconsin or Michigan for trout or steelhead as I used to do a cupl times a year.Now about as far as I go is 30 miles to trout fish at the club I belong to in the Spring and Fall or to b-gill or lmb fish at Mazonia.Living in Plainfield I only have to drive 1-12 miles to fish anywhere on the Dupe,11-15 miles to fish the Fox in the Yorkville, Oswego or Montgomery areas,and 17 -20 miles to fish the Kank from Wilmington downstream.I own a '94 Chevie Lumina Euro which looks and runs like new and gets 28 mpg even at 148,000 miles.

From 1984 -2000 there were only 2 years when I didn't drive to the Rockies to trout fish for 2- 3wks.After the financial beating I took when the market crashed in this millenium those trips are gone for good with the price of gas going forward.I'm even reluctant to go as far as Wisconsin or Michigan for trout or steelhead as I used to do a cupl times a year.Now about as far as I go is 30 miles to trout fish at the club I belong to in the Spring and Fall or to b-gill or lmb fish at Mazonia.Living in Plainfield I only have to drive 1-12 miles to fish anywhere on the Dupe,11-15 miles to fish the Fox in the Yorkville, Oswego or Montgomery areas,and 17 -20 miles to fish the Kank from Wilmington downstream.I own a '94 Chevie Lumina Euro which looks and runs like new and gets 28 mpg even at 148,000 miles.

Wow. Sad. The flip side of the coin. A 2 week trip to the Rockies is far from frivilous. Man that is sad.

On the other hand most of the rest of the world would be pretty happy paying what we do for gas.

The mid 90's were good years for nice affordable cars.

My poor baby '95 Toyota Tacoma really needs a rest. With nearly 240,000 miles still runs like a trooper but she is straining. She needs to be "put out to pasture". I need to find the right caretaker.

Guest Don R

That a lot of miles Mark!

I just saved money tonight. I decided to cut my own hair. It's not a huge savings because there wasn't much up there to begin with. ;) I did such a poor job that I'll probably not be dating for a while. :blink: And that will no doubt save me some money too. :P

But all seriousness aside. :rolleyes: I'll probably make less trips to the Macintosh River this year. I may even fish a bit more at a certain creek that runs near my place.

No, they haven't impacted my homewater fishing on the Fox. I live about 1/4 mile from a productive stretch so the car stays at home.

But...I will think twice about driving four hours to a fishing hole. I am also thinking twice about buying any gas powered "toys" like bass boats and motorcycles. I even use my lawnmower alot less. Got me acouple o' dem old-school push-reel mowers and let me tell ya' I'm becoming a fan.

If I do drive anywhere...I go the limit or maybe 5mph over. I take the expressways to work in Chicago (85mi. round trip) and my little Hyundai gets 350 miles to the tank if I go 60-65. If I go 80-85 like all the rest I'll get 250-275 miles to the tank. Let's see....14 gallon tank x $4.00 a gallon = $56 to fill it up :o

I just lost my lunch!!! I got rid ov my truck so I wouldn't have to pay $50 per fill up.

I cut my own hair , too.

This nation has changed the world...sometimes in good ways.

We can split the atom and put men on the friggin moon, we can read license plates from outer space, and drop a bomb on a fly. But I'm supposed to believe that we can't come up with a better way to operate vehicles??? What ever happened to the electric car???

Usually, when people screw other people there's dinner and a movie involved. I don't remember going on any date last night but, for some reason, it hurts to sit down.

Gee, thanks Uncle Sam.

This has impacted me on some levels. One thing I have been trying to do is always fish with someone. Splitting the driving is the way to go. I fish for greenies too and I have already opted out of one tournament since it is too far. Another thing I have been doing is driving the speed limit. But will it stop me from fishing the river less this summer when I am off from work? No. I go once or twice a week in the summer and that won't stop unless the gas gets quite a bit higher. I figure it was never free and am I going to let an extra $20 in gas stop me? No.

Hey Bill- we should definitely hook up this summer and fish midweek sometime. Paul

I will think twice about driving four hours to a fishing hole. I am also thinking twice about buying any gas powered "toys" like bass boats and motorcycles. I even use my lawnmower alot less. Got me acouple o' dem push-reel mowers and let me tell ya' I'm becoming a fan.

If I do drive anywhere...I go the limit or maybe 5mph over. I take the expressways to work in Chicago (85mi. round trip) and my little Hyundai gets 350 miles to the tank if I go 60-65. If I go 80-85 like all the rest I'll get 250-275 miles to the tank. Let's see....14 gallon tank x $4.00 a gallon = $56 to fill it up :o

I just lost my lunch!!! I got rid ov my truck so I wouldn't have to pay $50 per fill up.

I cut my own hair , too.

This nation has changed the world...sometimes in good ways.

We can split the atom and put men on the friggin moon, we can read license plates from outer space, and drop a bomb on a fly. But I'm supposed to believe that we can't come up with a better way to operate vehicles??? What ever happened to the electric car???

Usually, when people screw other people there's dinner and a movie involved. I don't remember going on any date last night but, for some reason, it hurts to sit down.

Gee, thanks Uncle Sam.

I had to drive to Wisconsin friday night. I returned yesterday evening. Zero traffic for most of the way. I saw lots of cheesehead state troopers so, I kept about 5 over the speed limit and there was a slight tail wind. I got 29 miles to the gallon, where I typically get 22-24 highway being my typical mileage.

The tailwind for sure will help, but yep staying off the lead foot can't hurt either.

Not sure if Uncle Sam is at fault on this. Actually, most of the world would love to pay what we do in gas.

We have several people that bike commute now where I work. They have short commutes. I did it when my commute was shorter. It was great.

I'm seeing more and more people doing it. Maybe we will get some more bike lanes built.

it's funny that it takes gas prices that are really not all that high, to even consider changing our driving habits. It kind of interesting that no one mentions or even considers air pollution and emmisions in this whole discussion, only the econmic impacts and this is a group of conservation oriented individuals. Imagine what regular people think.

Fact is if gas went down to 2 bucks a gallon, we would all go back to our old ways. Perhaps, we need 5 or 6 bucks a gallon?

When I Lived in Chicago, I rode my bike to work. And gas was $1.40 then!

Some of us got smaller, more fuel efficient cars because we care for the enviornment. But, I think when we get hit it the pocketbook, it gets our attention most. Now more people are getting in line for hybrid and Metra tickets.

Global warming...some folks out there think it's a lie. Then again, some people still write to santa....

But, most middle-class blue collar Americans (quickly becoming an endangered species) who are struggling to put dinner on the table,

take notice when fuel costs, and the cost of living in general, get to a stupifyingly astronomical level.

People should feel angry about this...We work hard for that money and should be able to keep some of it.

Someone made the decision to increase the prices of everything.

I don't think any of the OPEC guys have to shop at Aldi.

I don't think the fat cats at Exxon/Mobil have to cancel their cable so they can sign their kids up for baseball.

How many ultra rich, big business exec's have to "brown bag" it to work??...or carpool?

See... the rich want to stay rich. They want to stay away from the commoners. And they definately want "our kind" to stay away from them.

So when working class americans fight and sometimes go on strike for better living wages and get what they deserve (mostly), the are then encroaching on the comfort zone of the rich. We can afford better seats at ball games, stay in the same hotels as them, and eat at the same restaurants as them.

The rich don't like this. They want working class America to stay away from their country clubs and resorts.

The rich attend political fund raisers and rub elbows with very powerful people...they give them their money, too. Not because the politician they support needs a handout. They want something in return. They want decisions made and laws passed so they can stay rich....and powerful.

So gas prices, among many other things, are not so high because they have to be. Someone wants it that way.

I care alot about mother earth (I should honestly show it more...but I do try). I wish I could do more for our enviornment like volunteer my time and donate money to good causes. I feel guilty when I don't make it to river cleanup projects or water willow plantings. But my family comes first!

Mark, that's a really good point. Honestly...If I could....I mean if it wouldn't put me in the poorhouse or suck the world's natural resources dry, I would drive a big 'ol diesel dually and haul a 5th wheel and a Ranger Z21 Comanche behind it. But, Logic, reason, conscience, and most of all my pocketbook won't allow it. I just wish they had a better way of keeping my attention.

I better get off this soapbox, now. We're going to need the wood....

The price of gas definitely has an impact on any travel plans, including fishing trips. There is, however, hope on the horizon, though it may be too far on the horizon to help us for a while.

Check out this link on the Air Car.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/demo/?friend=47...available-soon/

Make sure you look at the You Tube video in the middle of the page.

HA-

Check this out....

WBBM Investigation: Nearly Half Of Ill. Cong. Let Taxpayers Pay For Their Cars

http://www.wbbm780.com/pages/2193182.php?

Hmmm...

I don't remember being asked for permission to use MY money to lease a big SUV for Jesse Jr. or any of those other arrogant SOB's.

While they drive to church and the grocery store in cars paid for by us, my streets are crumbling, our schools are hurting for things they need, teachers are severely underpaid, etc.... They even want a pay raise down in springfield. Someone down there owes us dinner and a movie...

WOW...I wish I could say it was unbelievable....But I'm not all that surprised.

We should send them emails about the Air-Cars. And mention that while they are digging around in our pockets, they might want to rethink their priorities and remember who they work for...

There I go again...

• 3 weeks later...

I know my plans have changed. I'm fishing local and not going as far. I also don't buy anything new. I also avoid buying any more fishing stuff. I agree with some of the comments....for me to have a middle class life style, it takes my income and my wife's. We rarely go out to dinner and try to save money where we can. My wife is a teacher and in order for her to get to work she must take the express way and pay $5 per day in I-Pass fees because the local street is under construction. That's $40 a week that comes from our pocket...we're aren't reimbursed for this expense. That's over $1000.00 in cash (after taxes) for the year! She only makes $34,000. after taxes 34 thousand doesn't go very far...and don't forget union dues. Anyway, for people like us, $4 per gallon makes a difference. everything related to gas prices are increasing but our paychecks stay the same. the cost of living has increased but salaries and hourly wages have stayed the same.

I plan on car pooling more this year.

I maybe going to the Kank. R. this saturday...I will post a message if I'm going for sure to share the ride...I live in Naperville.

Let but it this way. I sold my little 4-cyl. ranger to my son and purchased a 6cyl. Silverado.

I needed a bigger vehicle to tow my 8 canoe hauler (or 16 kayak) trailer.

Then prices broken $3.75 I sold the trailer to a new livery in the reagional.

Nearing $4 I've postponed plans to fish IN and ILL. this year. I have plans to attend a RiverSmallies event in PA. this month IF the prices stay below $4.

Other wise I'm planning to stay home catch up the to-do list, finish my solar exchanges and limit my fishing to within a one-tank radius.

I have had more inquires to guide this season then past as people of looking at getting more regionally orientated.