Advice on fly rod for beginner

NickKo

Hi all. I'm looking to get into fly fishing for smallies and was wondering what weight to get??? 90% of the time I'm fishing the Fox River and have been told 6wt or 7wt. would be the way to go. So I figured I'd go to the experts and see what you all use. Thanks in advance.

My 2 cents,

a moderate fast 9 ft. 6 wt rod will allow you cast most flies under most conditions. Many of today's 6 wt. rods might perform better up lined with 7 wt. WF fly line so in fact you're using a 7 wt rod anyway. The heavier 7 wt. rod is overkill (sadly) for the majority of smallies that I catch.

Now that being said, I fish for smallies almost exclusively with faster action 5 wt. rods as it fits my style (as if I had any)

A novice caster would be better off with a 7wt rod for the xtra casting power it provides. TFO's BVK series of rods is a good choice.Don't skimp on the line.A premium weight forward line is definitely worth the cost. No need for an expensive reel. I'm happy with a $35 reel(Blaze) from piscifun,com

My 2 cents,

a moderate fast 9 ft. 6 wt rod will allow you cast most flies under most conditions. Many of today's 6 wt. rods might perform better up lined with 7 wt. WF fly line so in fact you're using a 7 wt rod anyway. The heavier 7 wt. rod is overkill (sadly) for the majority of smallies that I catch.

That's pretty much what I was going to say, but being lazy, I figured I'd wait until someone else posted it. It worked! What he said ^

Hah! The search will continue! I'll check out that post too. I think I'm leaning towards the 7wt to help with the wind and ability to throw out some bigger poppers and what not. If anyone else has anything to add please feel free. Thanks for the advice.

A 7 wt. is a good start, you can fish lighter depending on the size of flies. There's a wealth of starter priced rods that are really very good. TFO BVK is a great value but St Croix, Redington, Orvis, & more offer good rods under 300.00. Find a shop & test cast before you buy - everyone is different & your casting will improve with time but you must be able to feel the rod load & unload to learn. Forget fast - start with something moderate, you will improve sooner. Orvis Yorktown does free casting 101 & 102 lessons they are worthwhile. I've helped instruct some of them May June July - check it out. Look for our annual Cast & Compare event in September on the Fox river - lots of rods to try & alot of help from members, rod reps & shop owners - plus its FREE. Come to the Blowout for a chance at a bargain plus more valuable input from the members. Regardless of which rod/weight pick one & stick with it, use it & you will learn, how to cast, which flies & where to fish. Come to some of our tying outings to visit & ask questions even if you don't tie.

If Smallmouth Bass is the key variable, an 8 wt is the answer with a 9 wt in the running if Largemouth and Pike are in the equation. 8 will give you the power to beat the wind on the big river, and the power to chuck big bugs and flies, and the power to handle the big fish. You do want big fish, don't you?

That being said there is no one rod weight for every situation. I use rods from 6 wt through 9 wt. I just lean toward the 8.

and the power to handle the big fish. You do want big fish, don't you?

I do agree with you in that those heavier rods allow to chuck more heavily weighted flies but I don't feel that the weight of the rod has much baring on the ability to land the fish (within reason), especially when we're talking smallmouth or largemouth bass. I've taken largemouth up to 6 lbs and smallies up to 4 lbs on 4 and 5 wt. rods. And for that matter, I've taken long nose gar and carp in the 20 lb range on a 5wt. To me it's no fun fighting a 15" smallie on such a heavy rod and the rod/reel/line are so much work having to carry with you and cast all day long.

For example, this 15 lb long nose was taken on a 5wt that I built and I'm sure was much more enjoyable to land than using any 8 or 9 wt. broomstick.

Just my opinion here and I fully realize it's not ideal for everyone.

59574ab1-53e1-4491-8514-830da8b98d7e.jpg

The most important factor is the size of the fly and type of presentation not the size of the fish. With smallmouth I think it is unfair to use less than a 6 weight as the fight will put too much stress on the fish. As for flies if you plan on lighter flies under 4.5 inches, I would would go for a 6 weight. I personally use a 7 and 8 weight because I like bigger flies(5-8 inches) and it makes it easier to bomb a cast out. I never have to revive a fish long and seen the fish leave mostly unharmed is more fun for me. I am a. If supporter of made in America and a 7 weight St. Croix Avid might be the best deal in this category.

I would have to agree with Rob about rod wt, fish size, and fighting a fish. I understand where phaaker is coming from when talking about stressing a fish. I feel that much of landing a fish quickly is in the fisherman's ability to do so regardless of rod size. An experienced or inexperienced angler will land a large fish faster on a heavier rod, though it may lengthen the learning curve on how to quickly land a fish if it were to be caught on lighter gear. I grew up using a light power spin rod.Then, when I finally could afford to do so, I bought an ultralight. Most of the larger fish I was catching in my youth were carp and bowfin. I guess I learned at an early age how to land a big fish with small gear, but I do not recall ever having to revive a black bass if it was kept in the water or instantly returned after a quick photo shot, unless it was badly hooked. That's just my take on things. That being said. I think it is probably easier to learn to cast with a heavier fly rod such as a 7 wt. I must say, I was a slow learner when it came to casting a fly rod.

Rob, You are right I've fished a 5 or 6 wt. alot of the time - a 3wt. will tame a big smallie. How easy it is to straighten out your line depends on the fly weight or size. I'll also add I fish slow graphite, Sage RPL 7 wt. or fiberglass & I agree many fast graphite rods are a broomstick in the heavier weights. Test before you buy & in the beginning stick with one rod for awhile.

My 8 weight Sage X is probably the best smallmouth rod I've owned to date. Newer rod technologies have improved the weight and feel. Plenty of feel and very easy casting all day. I like fishing big flies and big rivers and 7-8 weights have been most efficient for me. One thing for sure is I own way too many rods.

A 9wt rod is way too much for smb. It's often the recommended wt for fish like king salmon and saltwater battlers like permit etc. Although an 8wt is a good choice for lmb typically found in/near heavy cover and very adept at using it to try and escape it is is more rod than needed for smallies in most situations. I agree with John G that how long it takes to land a fish has more to do with how efficiently it's fought than with the equipment used. It's very annoying to see a good size fish being fought too passively which unnecessarily lengthens the fight.For that reason it seems to me that Tenkaras are real fish killers i'm glad to see that after making a pretty good splash when they 1st came out jnterest in them is fading away

Re rod vs fly size lighter wt rods like a 6wt wiil nicely cast the flies typical for smb if a good dubl haul is used to cast them. Learning to do it (well) is a must

• 3 weeks later...

Good advice and knowledge here for sure!

I prefer a 6wt fast action.

A moderate action 6wt with a Smallmouth bass line will give you plenty of power to land a large specimen, while still allowing plenty of sport for the little guys.

I use Rio's smallmouth line, (6WT Floating). The bass taper shoots large, bulky or weighted flies with ease. ronk spelled out an important point, casting with a double haul method.

Get on youtube and look up flycasting. casting is a skill and you will need some practice. hauling, mending, reach cast, roll cast. There are too many to learn all at once. focus on the basic cast at first. When you pick up the double haul, this cast will allow you to overcome windy conditions, as well as making large bugs easier to cast.

Going with a 7wt, so I can go for LMB too and possibly some carp. Kills me to see those pigs in the river and not being able to catch them... Just landed a good deal on a Ross reel and will be picking up a medium-fast rod in the coming months. Thanks for the tips and advice!