My first season on the fly

Ben K.

Last year Tom Loo posted a video from Todd Moen called Fall Run. I consider that the last little push it took me to step out of my comfort zone and try fly fishing, so first off, thanks Tom. I've shared that video with a lot of people, it really echoes a lot of how I think about fishing in general, fly or not.

Within a week of watching Fall Run, I found myself at Bass pro testing out rods, shopping on amazon, feverishly researching tactics and terminology, then finally gearing up and heading out for my first trip. I'm lucky to have some friends who are already experienced in most aspects of fly fishing and over our three outings I learned a lot. I was humbled and enjoyed every second of it. I also found myself behind my camera more, which brings me to this.

The Remedy Fishing Channel is a new project of mine, I'll be working with Anthony at www.trouterspace.com amongst others to bring all sorts of content to the channel. I hope to do some stuff with the ISA as well. This video journal is focused on entertainment, no tips tricks or advice, just a visual medium to remember the fall run of 2014 by. I hope you all enjoy it and subscribe for future videos. I plan to elaborate more on the channel soon, good things to come!

I love to fly fish but I sure have met a lot of fly anglers I could do without!! From a guy that has and still works on both side of the fence (fly and spin), fly anglers are an interesting bunch. Hard to figure out...................... there are quite a few out there that I would never fish with

Well done, Ben. There are some nice castings in the vid. I'm sure the next piece will be as good as Todd's.

Well come to the fly fisher fratenity. Just don't blame me when your bank account runs dried, a year from now. :)

I love your work, Mr. Ben.

The Fall Run video from Todd Moen is a master piece and you're not far behind.

The thing is, all these fly fishing videos are kind of the same.

I hope to see a video from you on the life of a smallmouth man (fly or spin) later this year.

Keep up the good work, glad to see you back, and always remember that I will always keep an eye out for that damn kayak of yours.

I appreciate all the feedback guys, very excited to do some more work this year and that will absolutely include the all mighty smallmouth. I also don't see myself putting down the spin gear just yet as I have so much to learn casting wise, I don't know how I'll ever replicate skipping sluggos up against banks with low hanging trees and branches, that technique is responsible for some of my largest fish. My bank account is already feeling it after putting together another outfit, a 7ft fiberglass 4/5w with an oldschool cortland click-pawl reel and some 4w rio line for driftless trout season. It's all new and exciting.

Good news Terry, I'm ready to float again. Two weeks ago I picked up a Demo model Nucanoe frontier 12 from Rocktown Adventures. I have another little boyo due May 14th and my oldest isn't too far away from tagging along so it was time for an upgrade. I still hope the feelfree moken will find its way back someday and I'm forever thankful for your commitment to helping me track it down.

I fished a Nucanoe two seasons, mine had a bow mount TM on it. It was the best yak I ever owned, one of the only yaks you can truly stand and fly cast out of, it's a battle ship.

I appreciate all the feedback guys, very excited to do some more work this year and that will absolutely include the all mighty smallmouth. I also don't see myself putting down the spin gear just yet as I have so much to learn casting wise, I don't know how I'll ever replicate skipping sluggos up against banks with low hanging trees and branches, that technique is responsible for some of my largest fish. My bank account is already feeling it after putting together another outfit, a 7ft fiberglass 4/5w with an oldschool cortland click-pawl reel and some 4w rio line for driftless trout season. It's all new and exciting.

Good news Terry, I'm ready to float again. Two weeks ago I picked up a Demo model Nucanoe frontier 12 from Rocktown Adventures. I have another little boyo due May 14th and my oldest isn't too far away from tagging along so it was time for an upgrade. I still hope the feelfree moken will find its way back someday and I'm forever thankful for your commitment to helping me track it down.

I also don't see myself putting down the spin gear just yet as I have so much to learn casting wise, I don't know how I'll ever replicate skipping sluggos up against banks with low hanging trees and branches, that technique is responsible for some of my largest fish.

"Sling Shot" is a well known fly fishing technique. Granted, it isn't pretty, but it can get the job done in the situation you described. If you have never seen how it is done and if I may use one of Todd's video (again) to demo the technique (pay attention @ 5:50). Just watch out for your ear, when you do this.

Another technique is "side arm cast, parallel to the water", if you have enough room for your backcast.

• 3 weeks later...