mepps

rich mc

1 hour ago, rich mc said:

mepps has been around forever, with big and small sizes.   yet i have never seen a pro angler use a mepps  any reasons why?

I don’t know Rich, but I do know that Mepps in-line spinners have taken a number of record fish. I just saw some fellow caught a state record striper/yellow bass hybrid (paradise bass) from theHennepin Canal with a # 4 Mepps Aglia spinner.  Cool looking fish, Looks like a hibrid striper but yellow with darker stripes.

The Mepps is a great combo essox/smallmouth lure in rivers. I had an outing over the weekend were I caught 6 pike and close to 20 smallmouth on a #5 Mepps Aglia. It certainly can work in lakes but I think it really shines in rivers. The flash, vibration and the way it can slowly hover in current trigger a lot of strikes.  Pro anglers are fishing largemouth in lakes 90+% of the time.  They probably find there are better options to fish deeper and tighter to cover to catch largemouth. 

Paul, that sounds like an amazing weekend. It reminds me of a Saturday morning that I reportedly had, but didn’t,  in a booklet about fishing the Illinois River and Hennepin Canal.. Long story shorter, the fellow who wrote the booklet was interviewing me about something totally different when he asked if I had ever caught fish and what kind they were, on a Mepps spinner. I told him it was, at the time, my most used lure and gave him a list of different fish species I had caught on a Mepps. Some time later a friend showed up on my porch with a sports periodical that had my picture in it and a story in it about this fantastic Saturday morning I had on the Illinois river with this amazing multi species catch of fish all taken on a Mepps spinner. It was a total fabrication. It later showed up in his published booklet. Mepps had a major advertisement in it. I guess he figured he needed to write a story about their product. It seems what I told him wasn’t good enough, so he did some major embellishing. I had no idea what he was up to when we talked. As I said he wanted to talk to me about a totally different subject.

Paul, I hope my story didn’t sound like I meant yours was a fabrication. I totally believe what you reported. You’ve had enough photos posted that you shouldn’t be doubted. Your post just brought back the Mepps related memory. The Mepps spinner has produced some great fishing memories for myself and many other anglers, such as yours and Scott’s story above.

So offended John, actually I didn't take it that way at all. You commented on an amazing outing and then you went into a Mepps story. No offense taken. I would like to think I've established some fishing cred here over the years with my posts, pictures and outings with other ISA members. In case there are doubters, I do have some pictures. 

251.jpg252.jpg253.jpg254.jpg

Again, I do feel like the bigger Mepps is a great combo lure for essox/smallmouth in rivers or sections of rivers that offer good numbers of both species. I was throwing a #5 Mepps Aglia and was surprised how many 12-14" smallmouth jumped on the bigger spinner. The lure definitely works when thrown in the right locations. I have found two potential disadvantages for this lure. #1 It's not weedless or snag resistant.  Almost was a wood magnet but fortunately the water was shallow enough to get back all my snags. #2 Fish seem to come unbuttoned on this lure more than other lures. If a smallmouth jumps while shaking its head with a Mepps. there is a good chance the two will separate. 

An in-line spinner is a good search lure for unfamiliar waters (rivers and streams in particular) to get a rhythm going and help boost confidence. They can also lead to flirting with disaster. Large river smallmouth seem naturally adept at throwing an inline spinner with a mighty headshake. So if you want your heart broken, it's a great choice of lure. 

Edit: LOL! I wrote this before I read Scott's post. I agree 100%! 😄

Rich, bass professionals don't typically throw in-lines because they fish deeper and/or in cover.

• 2 weeks later...

Smallies throwing Meps trebles would be more about the hook used by Meps. I throw a lot of inlines and don't have that problem with smallies shaking off but 99,99% of the time Im throwing inlines I make myself.  I do so since I pike fish a lot and making my own inline with a skirt pattern I can make of my choice, weight, size, blade type, hook etc.  Glad this topic was brought up Meps are such a deadly river multispecies catcher due and run so great in rivers.  Plus they have such a variety of color patterns. They dont have much competition rooster tails are inferior, Blue Fox are quality but seem more targeted for trout and salmon in some respects.