Sinking Tip

Terry Dodge

i have a couple of spooked intermediate lines.   i have used them in shallower water, under 3', with streamers.   it seems to me the streamer follows the line.  if your line is floating it is easier to pull the streamer to the surface. with a line under the water the fly seems to be pulled down to the level of the line. so, the posible advantage would be putting the fly st s different level.  timothy   

for Clouser's probably not but for unweighted flies they are often recommended for bass, I haven't spent much time with them.   I do have a poly-leader that I plan to try in still water for largemouth with surf candy style baitfish flies

My opinion, for what little it's worth.  To address what Mike said, full sinking lines are no fun to cast while sink tips are definitely a little easier because of less drag since less line beneath the surface.

Now I rarely use a sink tip on rivers or streams, because I'm generally not fishing my fly more than 4ft deep and a weighted Clouser can easily get down to that even on a floating line.  In theory it sounds good to carry a sinking line with you on a separate spool but as I move down a river, I'm often changing between a floating surface bug and a weighted streamer and I detest wanting to throw a surface bug only to have to change out not only my fly but the spool and reline the rod as well, only to possibly change back to a weighted streamer and/or spool in another 30 yards.  

So, the only time I use a sink tip line is when fishing ponds / lakes or when I'm bound and determined to use for longer periods a semi floating deer hair head fly such as a Zoo Cougar which has a hard time getting down lower than about 1-2 feet on it's own.  Again, this works for me and the rivers that I like to fish, where as the Kish might be much deeper and faster and therefore make sinking lines far more advantageous.    

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased an extra spool for the same reel and have float on one spool and intermediate sink on the other. Spring and fall with deeper water the intermediate sink has been a great addidtion.

• 1 month later...