Finesse TRD Craw + Finesse BulletZ

Mark K

This combo is so effective even I am catching fish with it.  If you like the regular TRD give it a try.  I had my doubts but it does NOT get stuck in rocks on every cast. In fact it's pretty darn "rock-less".  I am only using the sizes roughly equivalent to 1/16 and 1/8 (they come in weird weights) and I only used them with TRD Craw- which in a river (not like this video) looks really natural in the water- more of a craw scooting accross the bottom horizontal.  If you rig it right the craw stays on better than any other jig I ever used.  I don't think it would work with a conventional (not Elastech) rubber craw as well, as you would tear it getting it over the keel thing.  They are 5 bucks a pack of 3 and the craws are like 5 bucks a half dozen.  If the plastic don't melt in your car on the way out and ooze all over the back of your car, like Zman stuff did to my car then it's a good buy.

I have some of these Zman hooks and craws and have used them but I need to be using them more because I agree it is very realistic combo. 

I appreciate you posting the video because I was wondering how well the hooks with the bigger weights could be rigged and have avoided buying the bigger versions. That Elastech material is amazing. 

In the video the hook was never texposed. I have been carefully texposing the hooks by just barely catching the smallest piece of material. I've taken the hook and ripped the material a bit to get just the right amount of catch. 

Anyone else have a preference on this or experiences to share whether to texpose or not with Elastech? Whenever possible I do prefer the more weedless approach. 

I go with texposed as snagging = higher costs, more pollution, and less time with your lure in the zone.  That elastech plastic is pretty soft so getting the hook through and into a fish is pretty easy. That does look like a good hook system. For my money I still like the value and effectiveness of the Charlie brewer slider heads.

16 hours ago, Terry D said:

I have some of these Zman hooks and craws and have used them but I need to be using them more because I agree it is very realistic combo. 

I appreciate you posting the video because I was wondering how well the hooks with the bigger weights could be rigged and have avoided buying the bigger versions. That Elastech material is amazing. 

In the video the hook was never texposed. I have been carefully texposing the hooks by just barely catching the smallest piece of material. I've taken the hook and ripped the material a bit to get just the right amount of catch. 

Anyone else have a preference on this or experiences to share whether to texpose or not with Elastech? Whenever possible I do prefer the more weedless approach. 

wonder if you could shave off some lead on the sides of the head of the heavier ones leave that big keel.  I am pretty sure the elastech would stretch over the keel thing on the larger one.

If you don't texpose it picks up weeds. 

• 2 weeks later...

I give a thumbs up for the Charlie Brewer sliders. I would guess I have some sort of plastic on a slider head more than 50% of the time while chasing smallies with spin gear. A friend of mine who was just getting into smallmouth fishing was surprised and delighted when I handed him a Charlie Brewer Slider to rig up with. Turns out he has an uncle named Charlie Brewer.