Wading Pace

Terry Dodge

When going on ISA wade outings I have noticed that I seem to wade at a much faster pace than the good folks

I am wading with.

I would like to hear from other members on their wading pace.

I believe I wade fast because I like to cover a lot of water but (I don't know) maybe I should slow down a bit?

Faster wading works both ways. On familiar water it allows you to get to the "good spots" quicker, but one often bypasses water where the fish may be holding that particular day. Some guys power wade at an extreme pace throwing aggressive baits and cover a lot of water and catch a lot of fish. If you are pitching plastics, it often requires a much slower cadence to really search out the spot on the spot in most areas. Now the fly guys are a completely different matter. They often seem to be just as interested in their gear and technique as they are in catching fish. This is not to say that the fly fishermen and women do not catch a good number of excellent fish. I guess I fish at a moderately fast pace, for a plastics guy, but I always am eager to see what's around the bend. I always believe that there is a magic spot just beyond the next riffle, the next downed tree or the next eddy with a nice bubble line.

compared to Phil, I'm slow. compared to Kamala, I'm not moving. with my knees I just don't go real fast any more. when I'm on an outing with other ISA guys on my home river, I'd rather see them catch the fish, so if they get out in front, it doesn't bother me.

Sounds like I'm alot like Dick. I usually fish new waters much more slowly than those familiar to me. On new waters, I still seem to move faster than those fishing with me. I want to cover ground, see what's around the bend, and find aggressive fish. I am slowing down with age though, and on some days working the same hole a little longer doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

Faster wading works both ways. On familiar water it allows you to get to the "good spots" quicker, but one often bypasses water where the fish may be holding that particular day. Some guys power wade at an extreme pace throwing aggressive baits and cover a lot of water and catch a lot of fish. If you are pitching plastics, it often requires a much slower cadence to really search out the spot on the spot in most areas. Now the fly guys are a completely different matter. They often seem to be just as interested in their gear and technique as they are in catching fish. This is not to say that the fly fishermen and women do not catch a good number of excellent fish. I guess I fish at a moderately fast pace, for a plastics guy, but I always am eager to see what's around the bend. I always believe that there is a magic spot just beyond the next riffle, the next downed tree or the next eddy with a nice bubble line.

Dick

Fly guys by necessity pay more attention to technique because there's more of it involved in ffing.It's what makes it both more challenging & more rewarding.

2 things knees aren't made for,football & wading slippery rock strewn rivers.

This should be a hot topic. Hope to see everyone post. Good job Terry.

I personally tend towards jumping spot to spot, bridge to bridge. This year, I have been hitting historic areas and new ones. If I can't see the bottom where I need to cross, I turn around and go back the other way. Seems like my areas got washed out channels or silted in pretty bad. Smallies are typically not gonna let food pass by them within a foot or two without eating it. First cast to cover is usually all it takes. I have slowed a bit this year in my pace, as I've caught nice fish off bare banks power fishing. Rock has been very bad for holding fish on a couple flows. Wood has been the ticket. The amount of time you have plays a great role too. Typically there is a spot you want to reach before the time is up. That'll push you harder and faster.

Terry,

Now that you mention it, Sat you and Dale moved a lot faster than I did or Bill. Reminds me of a few weeks ago when we fished and you moved up stream, got out, left a note on my car that you went elsewhere, but before I ever got back to my car, you had come back and taken said note off my car after fishing the other area.

So, as for pace, yup, faster than most, but not necessarily wrong. We all have a style and pace that fits our needs.

Personally, I tend to work slowly or slower anyway. Maybe convinced that the fish I'm searching has always been there and I need to place my fly in the right situation/place? Maybe I too worked faster when I used my spinning gear, clearly more casts and water covered with it and I too would move on? Maybe we all just over think when in the water, out smarting ourselves while trying to out smart the fish?

I'm not really sure what to think is right or wrong. I do know this though, time spent in the river gives me a reward I can't fully explain.

I'm not wondering if one way is right or wrong. On ISA outings I too enjoy the other people doing most of the catching. I've noticed this before

on ISA outings, I always seem to get way ahead of people. I almost feel like I'm being rude.

I do take my time in certain holes with the soft plastics.

Everyone has their own style and urges to either stay at a spot for longer or move on. Over the years I have fished with countless other anglers. I have never seen two anglers who move at the same speed. Slow or fast, does not matter. It all depends on what makes you most comfortable. I would have to say that I tend to move faster than most. Usually, the river we are fishing is a river I know well. Since I know it well, and know what is up ahead, I usually move at a fair speed.

Plus, I am totally a type A individual. Many people (including my wife) have indicated that when I am walking, I move as if I am powered by a motor.

Fly guys by necessity pay more attention to technique because there's more of it involved in ffing. It's what makes it both more challenging & more rewarding.

I'd disagree there, Ronk.

But back to wading pace. Totally depends on the spot. Some places I need to cover a lot of water quickly to rule out dead zones and others I may make 3-10 casts on a single boulder. And there may be a set of a dozen or more rocks I'll hit in a 20' stretch.

-SB

I agree with Ron that fly fishing is more challenging. It's why I gave it up. I have enough challenges in my 9 to 5 job, I don't need more when I'm trying to relax.

As to the original topic, the pace I take is determined by the water I'm fishing. I don't wade as much as a lot of guys, but even in a boat, the speed that I cover water depends on where I'm fishing. As the old adage says, 10% of the water holds 90% of the fish. I try and spend less time in the 90% areas so I'll move through that quickly.

We agree to disagree, Ronk.

By that logic we should all be handlining. Much more hardcore than fly fishing. Handline a reef shark and tell me fly fishing is a challenge. Maldives '01.

But that would be silly on our waters.

My experience on the water are no more or less challenging or rewarding. I just use different gear and hold different goals. No less valid.

I mostly don't fly fish because the expense of getting decent gear is an affront to my fiscal sensibilities. And Zen is Zen. Gear doesn't matter.

I do appreciate your passion. I just disagree.

-SB

We agree to disagree, Ronk.

By that logic we should all be handlining. Much more hardcore than fly fishing. Handline a reef shark and tell me fly fishing is a challenge. Maldives '01.

But that would be silly on our waters.

My experience on the water are no more or less challenging or rewarding. I just use different gear and hold different goals. No less valid.

I mostly don't fly fish because the expense of getting decent gear is an affront to my fiscal sensibilities. And Zen is Zen. Gear doesn't matter.

I do appreciate your passion. I just disagree.

-SB

Going to have to agree with Sam, Ron.

Challenging? Yes, you have to set yourself up for a cast, etc, etc... People have their own ways to make something more challenging.

I dare anyone who has fished with me in Indiana to say it was less challenging than a fly fishing outing. No, far more challenging. I glide over river rock, climb on top log jams and cliffs to fish, sneak like a ninja, cast from any angle with any 5 or 6 likely lures I can change to in seconds, lay it where I want it despite any obstacle, I'm going for the risky cast from a long distance to prevent spooking. I move fast and still work slow. I study bass 12 months a year. Train for long 5 mile plus wades in the worst 90F+ heat. There's no weather I won't fish in.

I set my own challenges. Casting a fly rod is more difficult to learn than a spinning rod. Learning well takes much more time for both. There is casting, then there is casting. In a fly fisherman's case, he is limited in how far he can cast, backcasts, how he fishes overhanging cover, the bottom, and what flies he can tie on that line. It just isn't a flexible weapon. It's not a matter of not wanting to be challenged, but to take my own challenges to the fish. I don't want to be limited by a fly rod. We could say fly fishing is much more limiting. Not kind though. Fish, lots of fish, big fish, lots of big fish. All of it. I don't want to do that in comfort. I want to have climbed, kicked and feathered my way to insane accomplishments on the river if I can.

That's not to say you loving fly fishing and being proud of your skills is any way diminished. I think it is a great hobby. I'm glad everyone who choses to fly fish does so.

First time on a stretch? Go on a cloudy day so fish won't be tight under cover. Do a long wade. Move fast. Cover ground with topwater search baits, switching until you find the right one. Misses will uncover fish locations for a good finesse combing. Remember where you caught bass as well as were the misses occurred.

I fish fast but always test to see if I need to be fishing slow. If fast works keep going. The more you hit pattern areas the more big ones you'll get.

I've waded 4 miles plus in just under 5.5 hours. Slinging and catching the whole way. Glorious!

Sam

The agree to disagree thing is a discussion killer.So I'd like to do one more reply before agreeing to disagree.Chocalate or vanilla.Both must be tasted.Most guys who give both a SINCERE try find ffing more tasty ie rewarding ie fun.They don't gravitate to it because they think it's easier or more efficient/ productive because they soon realize that the opposite is usually(though not always) true.In addition to posing all the challenges of spinning/baitcasting ffing poses others not encountered in the othe two .That by definition makes it more challenging.Being a matter of fact not opinion there can be no disageement.

A good basic ffing outfit costs only a few hundred $, hardly a fiscal affront especially when you consider how many people spend much more for "stuff" that return much less. You don't have to drop a ton on the likes of that silly Abel reel from another topic. Admittedly you might spend a lot more than that over time. But most of that expense is made by choice not necessity & can be avoided if not afforded.

It's true thatSpencer Tracy faced the ultimate fishing challenge in " The Old Man And The Sea".But as I recall he wasn't having much fun. :)

Scott

From talking with you I think you may have gotten off on the wrong ffing foot years ago & hooking up with a type A guy who made ffing look more daunting than it is. If you can come to the Cast & Compare.It may give you a different view.At the very least it'll be a nice time with ISA guys from the Darkside.And afterwards you can spinfish the Fox.

Btw Anyone thinking of taking up ffing or needing casting help should know that Master Caster "Doc" from The Dupage River Flytiers aka DRIFT still as far as I know gives regular free casting lessons which I believe he holds on the Fox in Batavia.He's as great a guy as he is a fisherman.Check out their website.

BT

Just read your post. I don't agree with your style It's fishing not a triathalon.But I admire your ability to do it.Otherwise I agree with what you say which basically is that ffing is generally less productive/efficient and readily stated so above.On the other hand there was last year's tournament winner........

Back to Terry's original question please. For the record I fly fish, spin, and use a baitcaster depending on my mood. I fish from the bank, wade and fish from a kayak. They are all enjoyable, rewarding, and challenging at times. It's all personal preference.

I have noticed on various ISA outings I tend to wade faster than most. I'm usually looking for the aggressive fish. If I'm not getting very much action or the fish are small I will slow down bit. Basically I let the fish tell me what they want. Most of the waters I fish I know pretty well so I move at a good pace.

Moving ahead of others on outings makes me feel like a jerk. I have to force myself to slow down and let others fish the upcoming spots first. I enjoy watching others catch fish. Except I will occasionally cut Jude off and fish a spot ahead of him;)

I've seen guys burn through spots and catch nothing and then someone else moves in and lands some nice fish.

I've also seen guys work a spot so long that I imagine the fish (if they are there) laughing at each presentation.

For me, I just don't have the time or the patience to wade real slow most of the time. There are just too many good spots to fish.

A good basic ffing outfit costs only a few hundred $

A few hunnies is a lot of hunnies for me.

Tell ya what - take me fly fishing. Loan me some gear and change my mind. ;)

And I acknowledge that the "agree to disagree" is a conversation killer. Sorry about that.

-SB

Sam

Nothing oersonal but I'll have to decline loaning any of my beloved flyrods.If you're sincere come to the c & c & also take advantage of Doc. i'm available for a hookup anytime. Flycasting lesson included.From our respective results on the Fox you know it a helluva lot better than me.

I have to agree with Tim about the personal preference thing, as well as all else he said. I've used cane poles, bait casters, spinning gear, and the fly rod. All hold a special place in my heart. I can only speak for my own personal preferences. Number one, it is fishing, and rivers that are the true addiction for me. I had a flyrod for many years before I was in the right state of mind to use it much.. I had to be in a slow down, relaxed mode, thinking more about my casting and whatnot than on catching fish. This was very difficult for me at first. Frame of mind was the key for me. Now I love my flyrods. I have also become proficient enough that I can think more about the catching of fish than the cast. I move along much faster with the flyrod these days, as I said earlier, I usually like to cover some ground. This said, my spinning gear is still my favorite. This may be due to the fact that I feel most comfortable in my ability with this gear.

As for the wading, once again, I like to move along. When with other anglers I do hold back. I too feel it would be rude to jump ahead. When with friends that don't get out as much as I do, I get a bigger thrill out of seeing them land a nice fish than landing them myself. When alone I am usually in a keep it moving mode.

Not a long-term loan. Just something you can show me how to cast with while we're out. A private lesson.

I wouldn't say I know the river any better at all. I just like to write, hence the website and river reports, etc.

I do put in a whole lot of days, but most trips are under an hour. Eric knows the river a helluva lot better than I, and I have to guess Gary Pack knows a bit more than he does. Not sure Eric would disagree.

Well, I'm off to get rigged up and out there before Eric or Gary beat me to the spots. See y'all on the water.

-SB

Not a long-term loan. Just something you can show me how to cast with while we're out. A private lesson.

I wouldn't say I know the river any better at all. I just like to write, hence the website and river reports, etc.

I do put in a whole lot of days, but most trips are under an hour. Eric knows the river a helluva lot better than I, and I have to guess Gary Pack knows a bit more than he does. Not sure Eric would disagree.

Well, I'm off to get rigged up and out there before Eric or Gary beat me to the spots. See y'all on the water.

-SB

Being retired i can make it just about anytime with a few days notice.Just let me know when via email.One caveat.Ive done a lot of bassing lately and think the Driftless would be a nice change of pace for a cupl days this week.Come to the c& c & I'll be happy to give you a casting lesson bearing in mind that one lesson won't make you a caster. It does takes practice.

Terry,

Here's a story they tell in Lena. About 100 years ago two farm boys got into an argument about which horse to hitch to the wagon to carry them into town for the Saturday dance. One brother thought the gals at the dance would like the fast one best; the other favored the slow one. They argued through the night and never got to the dance. As a result three generations of children, grandchildren,and great grandchildren were never born. The bachelor brothers died without heirs. The farm was sold at auction, proceeds going to the county.

MORAL:

Make up your mind! Future generations are depending on you.