waders and boots

WILLIAM C.

Anybody know if Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas have coupons going on right now,I'm desperate after a complete failure

at what is supposed to be quality equipment.My replacement pair of Simms boots didn't last any longer than the first

pair and my worn out back up pair of Cabelas failed on the same trip not to mention my White River waders.I have

come to realize that the life expectency is about one to two years.Thank goodness Dick G. and I caught a lot of big

fish,post to come later when I find time.

Much like you, I find myself to be very unhappy with the quality of the above mentioned items also.

I think some of us ISA members need to get together and design boots, wading shoes and waders that actually work and last.

The above mentioned items are not designed for "hard-core" fishermen.

Terry, I can't agree with you more. I will say that this last set of waders by Orvis are the most durable that I've owned and I've owned a bunch of different brands over the years. On my third or 4th year with no leaks but of course me writing this will mean that they will leak next time out. Ha Cabela's boots never held up well for me, 1 year max. if that.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0G2L&dir_id=758&group_id=777&cat_id=5593&subcat_id=7310&scrdr=1

Cabela's footwear is guaranteed for life, so they should replace the pair you wore out or offer you a partial- or full store credit. I went with Cabelas for my recent boot purchase for this reason. The price is one of the lowest around, too. LL Bean also offers a lifetime warranty, boasts the best customer service, and offers free shipping. Too bad you just missed a 15% off sale. You can always get a few bucks off (11%) electronic gift cards for L.L. Bean here: https://www.plasticjungle.com/gift-card/LL-Bean-gift-cards

Bass Pro does not guarantee their merch. I buy things from them occasionally, but not items that I know will eventually need replacement, like waders and boots.

Glad you got some fish!

I'll have to try out the LL Bean boots. I haven't had much luck with Cabelas, Patagonia,Korkers, Chota, or Dan Bailey boots. Simms boots have been mediocre in my experince with 1 1/2- 2 years average life span of the boot. I have had luck with SImms waders and their service. I'm on 4 years in a set of gortex guide waders. They have been sent into Simms twice. Once for a seam leak and once for a stocking foot leak and both times repairs were made that have held up.

josh,

I think it's great that Simms has serviced the waders but for the price of Simms products, you would hope that they wouldn't need repair so often. It's not fun to have to send them back and be without when you might really need them. My buddy had the same results with his Simms waders and stated that one time the turn around was quick but the other time it took forever and he missed out on a lot of good fishing.

Tim,

I didn't know that Cabelas had a life time warranty on their wading boots, that seems almost too generous. I'd be happy with 3 years of hard service.

If you all are getting 1.5 years out of boots you're doing great! I'm lucky to get a season! My last pair was cheapie Field & Stream from Dick's Sporting Good and luckily I got them on sale last autumn. After sale price and discount they cost me less than $20. They lasted from then until now, so I figure I got a good bargain!

I imagine the L.L.Bean boots are just about as 'good' as anywhere else. I do like their service and quick return / exchange policy. Like anywhere, their products evolve and change over time so sometimes when you try to return / exchange, you can't get the same item and have to settle for something else or pay extra $ to upgrade.

As far as waders, every pair I buy is 'the best pair I ever owned!' -- until they leak! :lol:

I sure wish somewhere with a 'lifetime gaurantee' sold baitcasting reels! I'd be all over that!

Besides the Simms guide wader, I never had another wader make it past 6 months of use without a leak! I have owned pair(s) of breathables from hodgman, cabelas, white river, orvis, patagonia, dan bailey, cloudveil and snobees. The Dan Bailey wader was the only one I would purchase again from that group as they were pretty good for the price (made it 2 years with minor patches before a seam failure). I had hassles trying to return items at Cabelas with a reciept more than once on Cabelas brand waders and boots.If you look into the Cabelas warranty it is 90 days with a reciept. Cabelas name brand is guarenteed against "manufacturers defect" for lifetime and the warranty does not cover wear and tear. This tells me I have 90 days for sure and depending on how the manager feels that day, may get me a pro- rated price on another item or nothing at all.

Thanks for the responces,always an interesting topic but I was just looking for a coupon or sale since I no longer have a pair that I could even

use.As far as durability of my past waders and boots my wife put it all in perspective when she said "if you figure the price of waders plus boots

divided by days in the river it comes to about $1.50 a trip".

Thanks for the responces,always an interesting topic but I was just looking for a coupon or sale since I no longer have a pair that I could even

use.As far as durability of my past waders and boots my wife put it all in perspective when she said "if you figure the price of waders plus boots

divided by days in the river it comes to about $1.50 a trip".

That's the best way to compare stuff. I grumble about prices ocassionally and my wife always says to break it down to cost in use. A lot easier to swallow that way.

Waders are going to leak no matter what, What ticks me off is that no one stiches the boot to the sole anymore. Like glue is really going to hold... stupid... you ought to be able to get a few years out of boots (unless your Norm, Don or BT).

That's the best way to compare stuff. I grumble about prices ocassionally and my wife always says to break it down to cost in use. A lot easier to swallow that way.

Waders are going to leak no matter what, What ticks me off is that no one stiches the boot to the sole anymore. Like glue is really going to hold... stupid... you ought to be able to get a few years out of boots (unless your Norm, Don or BT).

Chota boots have been the worst offender for soles separating.They now say they've begun stiching as well as gluing.

As for wader leaks they're an inescapable certainity of waders that are a compromise between breathability & waterproof durability.The old school lightweight non breathable waders from companies like Red Ball were much less leak prone.Cabelas still sells them.They're very cheap & fine for cooler weather allowing for the big$ unreliable breathables to be saved for the warmer weather when theyre really only needed. I own 3 pairs of waders: non breathable lightweights for floatubing & for wading in cooler spring/ fall weather,breathables for the heat,neoprenes which are the warmest sans the hassle of bulky layering in the coldest weather/water.

Bill, Orvis has a 50% off sale now in store or online (call before driving they can get in if still available) I'm on 3rd year with mid price breathables from them & they are as good as any I've used over the years including Simms guideweights. Simms for some reason puts a size 12/13 neo stocking on their largest waders. I'm in the market for size 16 boots if anyone knows of any. Good luck you should find some bargains in the next month or so.