If you only had one fly?

Steve S.

Still thinking myself..........

I'm not only inclined to think about its fish catching abilities, but also how its casts, how it fishes, maybe even how it ties. I've tried to narrow my selections down recently, not only to reduce the amount of gear I carry around but also to focus more on learning to fish select patterns. This past Sunday I got somewhat "burned" at the K3 as the bass went on a mayfly slurping craze (admittedly most seemed on the small size). Still, I wanted to get one so I practiced casting to them while rising. The Boogle Bugs I had did not seem to interest them one bit; even smaller sizes and different colors. I thought of the Chernobyl Ants I had tucked in another box at home along with a simple mayfly pattern I'd always wanted to try.

Clouser Minnow.........yes, what could be more fun then hitting your fishing buddy in the back of the head with one of these on a windy day! :lol:

I have to go with a diver of some sort. Lately it has been a 1/0 Whitlock's Swimming Baitfish. It combines a little of both of my favorite characteristics: semi topwater for the junkie in me and big, erratic "come and eat me" action.

No question - Hairy Fodder - with interchangeable weighting it fishes the water column, except for the top. Right behind the clouser in smaller sizes & the sparkle minnow, both as size 6 or smaller. The Fodder is a bit of a wet sock to cast but its produced when nothing else will. Confidence is a big factor on this subject - color is a whole other level to pick apart when they aren't biting. Chartreuse & white first, brown, olive & rusty orange up after that in no particular order.

DSCF0055.jpg

It is one of these. Since the rules say pick one, I pick the 3rd from the top-Whodat Fodder. The fodder's changeable weight system makes it great for fishing from near top to bottom. Terry Dodge's sparkly stuff replaces the bunny fur making it less of a wet sock.

First photos I attached to a post. This is new to me. (Thank goodness my lovely wife is helping ~ guess I'll have to take her to dinner tomorrow) These are the two biggest of 7 good ones caught tonight in my favorite north-central Illinois stream on a yellow and white Clouser.

post-1215-128581875002_thumb.jpg

post-1215-128581878046_thumb.jpg

You should've taped that smallie.Looks like a 20+.Same goes for the striper.

For the one fly I'd probably choose a murdich minnow only because it could be fished at various depths from just under the surface or deeper with a sinking line or a spltshot on a floater.

Guest airbornemike

First photos I attached to a post. This is new to me. (Thank goodness my lovely wife is helping ~ guess I'll have to take her to dinner tomorrow) These are the two biggest of 7 good ones caught tonight in my favorite north-central Illinois stream on a yellow and white Clouser.

post-1215-128581875002_thumb.jpg

post-1215-128581878046_thumb.jpg

Holy god those are some beasties, um I'm say'n a white and chartruese clouser.

Thanks guys. The smallie was just under 20 in. the striper was 26 1/2 in.

:( JUST UNDER 20" is the rest of the story too often. I still say tha 20 inches (50.8 cm) is like the sound barrier.

:( JUST UNDER 20" is the rest of the story too often. I still say tha 20 inches (50.8 cm) is like the sound barrier.

Who cares about 20", look at how solid it is! There are many 20 inchers caught that wouldn't thrill me one bit. It's an overrated stat IMO.

Guest rich mc

out west they have had a one fly contest. anglers can only use one fly, lose it and your out.the best fly always seemed to be one that can be cut apart to appear as several differant specie or stage of insect. rich