Float and Fly/Indicator Fishing for Smallmouth?

Ryan S

Has anyone tried fishing a float and fly or indicator rig for smallmouth. I know some conventional anglers use it in the colder months. I'd be interested in trying it or fishing an indicator rig this upcoming season. If so, I'd love to hear what your rig set up is! Thanks!

it has been alive with the isa ever since jonn graham taught us years ago at the blowout.    main thing is its for clear water.   fly anglers also use the balanced leech, minnow patterns below  an indicator. i use the round styrofoam balls with a toothpick inserted  , tip  put it in from the fly side!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had success mostly with spin gear and hair jigs, but I’ve had some with the fly rod also.  I’ve found it is important that the fly is hanging horizontally in the water. Bending the fly eye back toward the hook some makes this possible, as shown in the photo. Sorry about the flies being so beat up.

73BD587B-88FF-45FE-9EC6-127C948D8335.jpeg.0398869c19ca71a6087f9e01b674e2a2.jpeg

I've often wondered why this same technique is not often used during the summer months on days when the fish are more lazy and just not up for a chase.  Seems to me it ought to work but I never hear of anyone advocating this technique at any other time than when the water is cold and the fishes metabolism is slow.

And John apologizing because his flies have been so beaten and eaten up, you're killin' me here, Ha

9 hours ago, Rob G said:And John apologizing because his flies have been so beaten and eaten up, you're killin' me here, Ha

Rob my friend, a fly is like a person . The longer we are around the more beaten up we get. Old flies my friend, old flies. I sure hope I can get away to fish with you this year. It’s been too long.

John, you bet, we've got to get together and fish again as I so enjoyed our time on the water in the past.

Has anyone tied the type of fly where the fly looks like what John has above but has also tied on a piece of wire or a shank in front of the eye of the hook along with possibly some weight in order to ensure that it does ride level? In other words, the eye of the hook is more centered above the fly

played with some balanced flies today but used a size 1 hook 90 degree and some nails.    i loosely tied on the nail , put some mono thru the hook eye to check the balance. then secured the thread and added sally hansen.   added material after it dried.   these bigger ones remind me of a ice jigging rapala.    original balanced fly uses a pin and a bead,