Dupage Wading Regulations outside FP and Naperville

Ryan S

Hey everyone,

I know wading regulations on Illinois waterways have been discussed on here and many other online forums, but I had a specific question that I can not find through a back search. I am aware that wading on the Dupage is allowed in Dupage County forest preserves and but NOT allowed in downtown Naperville. My question is whether wading is allowed in other parts of the river particularly in other town's  park district parks such as Plainfield and other towns along the river. 

I try to pride myself on staying within the regulations as a sportsman, so I want to make sure I understand those regulations.

Thanks,

Ryan

27 minutes ago, Ryan Staudt said:

Hey everyone,

I know wading regulations on Illinois waterways have been discussed on here and many other online forums, but I had a specific question that I can not find through a back search. I am aware that wading on the Dupage is allowed in Dupage County forest preserves and but NOT allowed in downtown Naperville. My question is whether wading is allowed in other parts of the river particularly in other town's  park district parks such as Plainfield and other towns along the river. 

I try to pride myself on staying within the regulations as a sportsman, so I want to make sure I understand those regulations.

Thanks,

Ryan

I've waded there many a time.  I think you are okay, but best bet is to call the police department and ask.  Jeez given how many freaking float tubers there it's hard to imagine it wouldn't be.  

I was just looking at Will County FP. 

Fishing - Forest Preserve District of Will County (reconnectwithnature.org)

FISHING REGULATIONS

Fishing is allowed year-round, weather permitting. Ice fishing is not allowed. Only line fishing is permitted. Anglers may use a maximum of two poles, with no more than two hooks or lures attached to each. Taking frogs, turtles and mussels is prohibited.

Swimming, wading and float tubes are prohibited. Persons must be entirely secured in watercraft.

All statewide fishing regulations apply, including daily creel and size limits. Illinois fishing licenses are required for everyone age 16 years or older who fishes on a public waterway, and may be purchased at the Monee Reservoir's Visitor Center. All statewide fishing regulations apply, and may be obtained from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

Additional regulations apply. For more information, download the District's General Use Ordinance No. 124 or call 815.727.8700.

On 12/9/2020 at 7:48 PM, Scott Ferguson said:

As long as you are not trespassing on private property, you are fine. Lots of access points from Naperville all the way to Channahon 

good to know! thanks for the info. Look forward to exploring and finding new spots this spring!

5 hours ago, Mark K said:

I was just looking at Will County FP. 

Fishing - Forest Preserve District of Will County (reconnectwithnature.org)

FISHING REGULATIONS

Fishing is allowed year-round, weather permitting. Ice fishing is not allowed. Only line fishing is permitted. Anglers may use a maximum of two poles, with no more than two hooks or lures attached to each. Taking frogs, turtles and mussels is prohibited.

Swimming, wading and float tubes are prohibited. Persons must be entirely secured in watercraft.

All statewide fishing regulations apply, including daily creel and size limits. Illinois fishing licenses are required for everyone age 16 years or older who fishes on a public waterway, and may be purchased at the Monee Reservoir's Visitor Center. All statewide fishing regulations apply, and may be obtained from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

Additional regulations apply. For more information, download the District's General Use Ordinance No. 124 or call 815.727.8700.

Thanks! Its interesting how difficult it is to find wading regulations for Cook County with a quick internet search but easy for Dupage and Will. From what I can understand so far...

Dupage County- Wading is allowed in FPs in river and creek but not lakes and ponds

Will County- No wading allowed in FP

Cook County- No wading allow in FP

Town/City Park Districts- Fish at my own risks but probably not an issue

I see in the regs that wading isn’t allowed in Will County forest preserves.  In the 20 years I’ve been involved in the ISA, I’ve never heard of a single person who was ever asked to stop wading in the DuPage in Hammel Woods in Will County. We have held several outings there over the years and it’s always been a popular area to wade. Wading in the forest preserve lakes isn’t something I’d recommend and understand why the rules is there for those.

10 minutes ago, Scott Ferguson said:

I see in the regs that wading isn’t allowed in Will County forest preserves.  In the 20 years I’ve been involved in the ISA, I’ve never heard of a single person who was ever asked to stop wading in the DuPage in Hammel Woods in Will County. We have held several outings there over the years and it’s always been a popular area to wade. Wading in the forest preserve lakes isn’t something I’d recommend and understand why the rules is there for those.

I have heard of people getting hassled for wading  in WillCFP , but not on the Dupe. 

For all the FP with a river they specify "shoreline fishing" .   I think that, with no wading rule specified in the regs  implies it's a no-no, but yeah does not sound like it's being enforced. 

19 hours ago, Ryan Staudt said:

Thanks! Its interesting how difficult it is to find wading regulations for Cook County with a quick internet search but easy for Dupage and Will. From what I can understand so far...

Dupage County- Wading is allowed in FPs in river and creek but not lakes and ponds

Will County- No wading allowed in FP

Cook County- No wading allow in FP

Town/City Park Districts- Fish at my own risks but probably not an issue

Off the top of my head is there any wadeable river other than the Des Plaines in Cook County?  Large stretches of that are boot sucking mud, right?  I wonder , if it's a navigable waterway do they have any say in the matter? Des Plaines is navagable in the whole channelized section.

1 hour ago, Scott Ferguson said:

Awesome thanks. Good to know. 

1 hour ago, Mark K said:

Off the top of my head is there any wadeable river other than the Des Plaines in Cook County?  Large stretches of that are boot sucking mud, right?  I wonder , if it's a navigable waterway do they have any say in the matter? Des Plaines is navagable in the whole channelized section.

Off the top of mind I can't think of any other. Growing up near the Des Plaines, I can attest that there are many wadeable stretches and I know many who do well fishing it. Overall, its quite a bit tougher to fish due to the faster current but quite a great fishery overall if you can crack it!

22 hours ago, Ryan Staudt said:

Off the top of mind I can't think of any other. Growing up near the Des Plaines, I can attest that there are many wadeable stretches and I know many who do well fishing it. Overall, its quite a bit tougher to fish due to the faster current but quite a great fishery overall if you can crack it!

I've been working on cracking it.