Wading Staffs

Jay

I have recently been researching wading staffs and am particularly interested in Simms models, but I am open to other brands.  I am curious if you use a wading staff regularly and what your thoughts are with your experience using a wading staff?  I have never used one before and I am starting to think maybe it would be a good tool to add to my wading arsenal.  Thanks, Jay

wading staffs can be handy and can save you falls in some places.  i have used several but the one i like the best is a cross-country ski pole i adapted with a cork grip and tether. also i needed to put some silicone in the small end to keep the water out so it does not sink and get heavy.  some of the collapsible staffs do the same. this one floats. i have found this to be an advantage once i got use to it.   timothy

I tried a staff a few years ago and did not like it.  I felt that it presented a danger to me. I think falls are going to happen whether you have a staff or not. I’m legally blind and just make sure I wade cautiously especially in unknown waters.  Once I’m in the water I feel pretty safe just feeling with my feet. I fell hard once with a staff and almost pierced my face and that was before getting in the water. Maybe it’s the water where I wade but I really see no sense in a staff. I just didn’t see the staff being helpful once in the water. I just don’t take chances when getting in and out.

Really appreciate the replies.   This is helpful information.  Sounds like it is one of those tools that fits some fishermen and others not so much so a person just has to try it themselves to see if it is a good fit.  

When I see hikers use staffs it seems they always use two.  I am curious if waders always just use one or if they sometimes use two with one in each hand with their pole attached to themselves somehow?  I am thinking about the added benefit of just pushing through the water in addition to the stability with two, but on the other hand, sometimes you can have to many gadgets/gear and it can weigh you down and get in the way.    

Thank you,

Jay

I have an old foot injury which doesn't bother me much. It is does when walking on rocks. I purchased a Hammers Collapsible Wading Staff Fishing Stick a couple years ago. I like it a lot, it allows me to take weight off my foot when needed. It is most helpful when covering longer distances wading creeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I find myself casting as I am  slowly walking along so I am mostly looking for a staff to provide support when walking in fast current.  Currently, I think I am going to hold off for now on getting a staff.  

• 2 months later...

I use a cheap extendable hiking pole tethered to my wader belt by a 550 cord, kind of dangerous. It floats behind me while not needed and close to hand when moving through sketchy areas.  Cord can get really jammed up with piles of eelgrass sometimes. I like John’s wooden cane idea, multi purpose and a bit safer.

On 7/18/2020 at 2:46 AM, Gene Fisher said:

I use a cheap extendable hiking pole tethered to my wader belt by a 550 cord, kind of dangerous. It floats behind me while not needed and close to hand when moving through sketchy areas.  Cord can get really jammed up with piles of eelgrass sometimes. I like John’s wooden cane idea, multi purpose and a bit safer.

Attaching a carabiners ( spring snap link ) to your belt, belt loop, tackle bag, etc, allows you to easily slide the cane in and out and keep it out of the way when not in use. Or just slide it under your belt. Works for me anyway.

• 8 months later...

I hike and carry too much gear as it is front pack and backpack. But if i have a stupid river crossing or sketchy section i just look for a stout branch. Test if first make sure it doesnt break. Something caveman cool about using a big ass stick as a staff. When done toss it down and reuse on the way back. If you want you can use a heavy beast and it really plants good in the water.