Wet wading

SmallieJonze

From kend:

You "wet wade"?

Hope you only wet wade where it's "totally safe".

That got my attention, but now I'm confused :(

Is wet wading not safe? I've only been wearing my waders when the water is too cold. I've been wet wading the last two or three summers, sometimes in a group (all waderless), and have seen plenty of people wet wade in the Fox. I haven't heard any warnings on wet wading either, but I sure don't want to be risking my health or my safety.

What's the general consensus here? Is it safe? Or am I putting my health at risk?

You are definitely going to get some varied answers on this one John.....

Our local streams in the northern half of the state are still pretty urban in nature.

Lots of bacteria that is just itching to get into any open crevice or scrape on your body.

That's when big trouble begins.

From kend:

You "wet wade"?

Hope you only wet wade where it's "totally safe".

That got my attention, but now I'm confused :(

Is wet wading not safe? I've only been wearing my waders when the water is too cold. I've been wet wading the last two or three summers, sometimes in a group (all waderless), and have seen plenty of people wet wade in the Fox. I haven't heard any warnings on wet wading either, but I sure don't want to be risking my health or my safety.

What's the general consensus here? Is it safe? Or am I putting my health at risk?

Some think wet wading is the way to go, and even encourage it, during warm water periods.

ME?

NO WAY!

I primarily do not wet wade from a comfort standpoint - I hate walking in boot-sucking mud, shoreline grass and weeds and bumping into unseen elements under the water without waders. I would rather sweat, which I don't really feel as much anymore with breathables.

Our waters aren't the cleanest, but let's not forget the inside of our waders is a haven for all kinds of bacteria build-up. I don't know how well the anti-bacterial treatments inside waders work, but I have had the occasional sore when I wore neoprenes. The risk of exposure is always there, when we handle bass, weeds, rinse our hands in the water, etc. with a cut on our hand. I've wet waded before and never had any problems. It's just not my preference. In a "cleaner" waterway, I think its reasonably safe.

From what I've read, most ISA members prefer to stay on the safe side and wear waders if they are wade fishing.

I dont know Eric?? I think it may be wading wet over wearing the waders. I havent seen anyone in waders at Central outings.

How about it? A little impromtu survey.

Do you wade wet or do you use your waders?

Let us know what region are you most likely to be fishing in.

Speaking of unseen elements underwater...I've bumped into things such as rear quarterpanels, bicycles, buckets, bowling balls, and the ever famous car tire (rims too).

We all know my answer to the survey. Now, how 'bout everyone else?

In and out of banks all day through heavy brush? Waders.

Sewage treatment plant in the area? Waders.

Less than 80 degrees air temp? Waders.

Hot as blazes in a rural area with good water quality and staying in the stream all day? Wet wade.

Guest Don R

Sounds good Tim. If I was to ever wet wade again I'd buy a pair of 100% nylon quick dry pants and tuck those puppies into a pair of wading shoes. The pants protect you from some of the insects and brush on shore. They'll also help with the leeches and spiders swimming around where you're wading.

Just be sure to check yourself for any rashes, scratches or open wounds of any sort prior to wet wading (even if it's a rural stream with no treatment plants). If the skin is open in any way I'm assuming it would be more susceptible to infection.

I wet wade as early as possible in the spring and late as possible in the fall. There's just something about not having to jack around with waders and boots that appeals to me. Ain't kilt me yet.

Hot as blazes in a rural area with good water quality and staying in the stream all day? Wet wade.

In Illinois, "We all live downstream." :blink:

If we can agree that clear does not mean pure, the difference between urban and rural waters starts to fade. Sure the Fox has its treatment facilities. But find me a rural Illinois river that is not currently receiving runoff from septic fields, outhouses, cattle yards, and fertilized fields. Go for a swim in crystal clear Lake Michigan and you are at risk of being infected by a bug from the Milwaukee River. So relying on the antibodies that I have built up over years of slopping around in Illinois waters, wet wading in hot weather makes sense just about anywhere. :mellow:

Besides we have to remember the rule, "All brands of waders eventually leak." :(

Wet wade . even done total wet wade .

Now I know why you were wearing that big grin :lol: -----while standing in the middle of the river.

Up 'til now, I thought the carp, slowly moving along the water surface, were feeding on floating bugs---

hmmmm----

perhaps they were coming up for air.

If we can agree that clear does not mean pure, the difference between urban and rural waters starts to fade. Sure the Fox has its treatment facilities. But find me a rural Illinois river that is not currently receiving runoff from septic fields, outhouses, cattle yards, and fertilized fields.

...and don't forget swimmer's itch.

Let's just say given what I've seen in the Chicago area water quality data the effects from the things you're talking about tend to be less pervasive downstate. The Middle Fork and the lower end of the Salt Fork are pretty darn clean. There's a big difference between wading there and wading the Dupe or the Fox or even the Saline Branch coming out of Urbana.

That's just my personal risk profile (which also includes swimming with crocodiles and sharks). I'm not saying it's for everyone.

Can't believe this thread has gone as long as it has. Folks, I have fished alot of streams in Illinois, including the urban chicagoland rivers as well as most of the streams in my neck of the woods. There is a big difference between the streams around me and the streams up in the chitown area. Trust me, there is. Of course, do what you want, wear waders if you must. But many of us that are wet wading are wading streams that are much cleaner than many of the so called "dangerous" streams.

If you saw some of the streams downstate, I think many of you would change your wet wading stance.

I'm not sure if we are taking a poll here but put me down for wet wading April - October. The only reason I wear waders is if the water is cold. Generally I fish more rual waters like the Kish, Rock tribs and the Apple. I do wet wade the Rock River and it is not the cleanest.

What works for me may not work for you. I understand there are risks and I am Ok with that.

Can't believe this thread has gone as long as it has.

Oh, this is always sure to get lots of responses. LOL

Anyone wishing to see "exactly" what is in their flow needs only to click on the link below.....

http://www.scorecard.org

Enter your Zip Code, and you'll find everything you never wanted to know about your favorite haunts.

Happy hunting.