Gear Recommendations

pts9889

Fishermen,

So I have to say that I felt a little inadequate on Sunday when gearing up for the Kankakee river outing. Fishermen had these cool chest-pack type tackle boxes, dangling suncreens clipped to their vests, tools on lanyards, hats with material that protected the neck from sunburn, waist packs with places for multiple water bottles, and the topper were the tethered walking sticks.

All kidding aside, I do need to purchase a chest pack. Does anybody have a style they recommend? Anything I should stay away from?

Thanks for any advice. Good fishng. Paul

I've tried several different styles. I wore a TALS pack for a while, but I'm not crazy about chest packs. I think they get in my way. Right now I'm using a pack from Fish Pond that goes over the shoulder. I can swing it in front of me when I need to get in it, and then swing it around to my back when I'm done. It's got lots of pockets and loops to hang tools from. It wasn't cheap, but it is very well built.

3yfgo76.jpg

I also like a vest at times. The problem with vests and fanny packs is that when you wade into deeper water, they get wet.

No one pack is best for everyone. You may have to try a couple of different options and see what works best for you.

Even if you don't fly fish, check out fly shops like One More Cast in Countryside. They have all the best wading gear.

Check out the William Joseph Creel. It's also on the sling design; small chest pack up front and a larger storage bag that rides on back. Not sure if One More Cast carries these or not. The Creel is a 2006 and prior year model. You should be able to find some closeout deals. The new 2007 model is called the Equinox, I think. Might be on the pricier side, but well made and a great guarantee.

Minimize the amount of tackle you carry no matter what you use to carry it in . Your back and knees will thank you , you'll spend more time actually fishing rather than looking at all those lures and wondering what to use .

Pick out a couple different crankbaits , carry just enough of them to cover say down to 10 ft . You really don't need to worry about color , use what you have confidence in .

Pick out a couple different jig styles , I prefer Mr Twister Weighted keeper hooks but choose what suits you . I carry my jigs in a plastic Succrets box on the water with some extras in the car should the snags start having a good day .

For soft plastics I prefer a twister tail , a paddle tail and boot tail grubs [sassy grubs or Walleye assassains] . I'm not much on tubes although they work . A ziplock bag or two should be enough to carry with extras in the car if the fish start going good .

I also prefer singlespin spinnerbaits and carry 1 straight shaft buzzbait . See the spinnerbait blade discussion for for tips from others .

Lastly I prefer 6 inch Sluggos with a 4/0 EWG Gammie to various and sundry topwaters . It's much easier and quicker to remove a single hook than trebles . When a good topwater bite gets going you should have a lure in the water as much as possible as they usually don't last real long . If you want to fish this bait deeper get some suspend strips and wrap as needed on the hook shank .

A good hook sharpener , line clippers on a lanyard and a pair of needle nose pliers to facilitate hook removal are the minimum . Add other stuff as you feel necessary , something to tote liquids in really helps .

Prolly more than you were looking for but after 35 years of wading and toiling through the human pack mule stage , I can honestly say less is better .

Prolly more than you were looking for but after 35 years of wading and toiling through the human pack mule stage , I can honestly say less is better .

The fishers I know who catch the most and biggest fish (mostly of a size that would swallow a 20 inch smallie for a snack) use a rapala, a nickel and steel leader, some pliers and 80 or 100 pound line balled on a stick.

Less is much, much more.

got a good deal at gander mt on on a close out pack bu the fly area $65 pack for $26 but have found other nice over sholder bag at target for $10 just need to get out and look there was a arcical on a guy who yoused a shot gun vest and put all tackel in old pill containers who would thought :o

this year I am in to the less is more can keep some extra stuff in the car on theos days were a break is good when the fish are not biteing

use what fit's you and have fun :P

Paul, I too believe less is best, but I am also always guilty of not practicing what I preach.

I enjoy experimenting with various baits, so when your starting out don’t get hung up on worrying about taking one too many baits with you, after all you need to fish the baits in order find what works for you.

I have liked the Tals Pack, the price is reasonable and it is a simple design that works for me. The Tals and other similar chest packs are designed to stay high and dry unlike fishing vest. You can purchase storage tubes through Tals that stick to the lining by Velcro. I instead have two small plastic rectangular storage containers that I applied Velcro strips to the back side and they fit perfectly into the storage compartment of the pack. I keep hardware (jigs, hooks, weights) and lures (top water plugs, crank baits, spinner baits) in one container and smaller soft baits in the other. http://www.tals-fishing.com/

I picked up two cheap water bottle holders from Target that I keep on my wader belt. When I remember to do so, I throw a couple of bottles into the freezer the night before, on hot day it’s nice to have a cool drink. If it is going to be one of those marathon fishing days, I have a back pack that has a built in water bladder in order to take more water.

http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

Anyway, you are off to a great start by asking the questions. :)

If you really want to learn how a particular bait performs under a variety on conditions , bring and fish that bait only for a couple 3-4 trips . If you have a trib with clear water take it there , put it through it's paces so you can see and later visualize what the bait is doing .

Thanks everybody for all the advice. After careful consideratio of all the recommendations, I think I'll go with the Tals Pack. I might change in the future but any of the choices recommended would be better than the backpack I've been using.

Norm,

Your advice comes in handy as I sort through all my tackle to decide what goes in the smallie bag.

Good fishing. Paul

Some guys got to "lighten up".

Newbees have a tendency to carry more than is needed---I believe that to be normal.

Been there, done that.

There are just too many factors that need to be considered.

Weather, season, water temp, water depth, location, structure, just to name a few, moving waters, still waters,

that will dictate the appropriate lure(s).

Day in and day out, the beginner or novice should just stick with a jig and grub, or the like.

Focus on using lures/baits that replicate real life critters---baitfish and crawfish.

Single tail grubs to imitate baitfish, and twintail grubs to imitate crawfish.

Slider head jigs, or the like, are the best, which are the least snag-resistance.

As one gains knowledge and experience, they have a better understanding of the fishes habits,

and then its easier to chose or select a bait or lure, that is suitable for the specific day or conditions.

I chose to select a lure or two, fish it often, under various conditions, catch fish on it, and learn to fish it well, and become proficient with it---instead of making frequent changes.

By fishng the lure often, I learn much more about how that lure performs, and what I need to do to trigger a fish into taking the offering.

Sometimes moving it SLOW or even SLOWER, and other times moving it faster---finding the speed and retrieve, that triggers that fish into taking the offering.

Time on the water is a big factor---the more you go, the more you'll know.

Some are not fortunate to fish often, therefore, they want to be productive as possible in the short amount of time on the water. Therefore, keeping it simple is better, and it'll be more productive.

Structure fishing is more important than the lure one is using.

Focus on structure, followed by the lure and presentation.

Select a lure for the structure one is targeting.

Structure fishing is more important than the lure one is using.

Focus on structure, followed by the lure and presentation.

Select a lure for the structure one is targeting.

Great lines.

Basically location and presentation.

I've always thougth it is better to be in the right place with the wrong lure than the wrong place with the right lure. LOL- Doesn't matter to me because I'm usually wrong on both accounts!!! Paul

Lots of wisdom in these fellas, that's what I love about the club! I listen and learn more.

I have also found tremendous results and less snags with the Weighted Keeper Hook

as well as the Sliders. Both are staples of mine.

I have victimized myself year after year by being a pack mule rather than an angler.

I cover toooooo many what if's!

With that said, I believe I will be widdling down the tackle I pack and keep the tried and

trues, along with a couple new baits like buzzbaits and small spinner later on (operative word being couple).

I didn't buy the Cabelas wadin/back support belt for no reason. It's because I'm too stubborn to change

at times (call it the Irish in me) That vest right now must weigh over 5 pounds, easy.

The best investment by far has been the River Quiver because an extra rod and reel is handy. It also beats

the extra tackle I don't need to lug around.

Some days I look the part- complete with waders, fishing vest, clippers around the neck- the whole enchilada.

Others (like at the last outing), I bring a whole box of "stuff" down to the river's edge, set it on the bank and look over what I might be fishing...then decide what might entice them to bite.

Or something to find the pattern on a given day.

This comes from leaving that one special bait back in the truck and having to hike back for it. I'm not getting any younger, that's for sure.

Vests are nice- but not when it's 100 degrees out, for my interest anyway.

Even revisited the idea of wet wading (on the Kankakee). Wouldn't do it on some flows around here, but I "feel" comfortable on this one doing it- did it Sunday as a matter of fact, after not having done it for at least a few years.

Hell, I might find a few plastics that work well..stuff them in my front pocket and carry a small box of weighted hooks in my back pocket.

It isn't rocket science.

Oh, right.

I can hang the rat from my hat...if ya know what I'm sayin'.

Use what you feel most comfortable with, Paul.

Only time on the water can tell you what that will be.

Quick tip for cutting the load , if it hasn't got wet in 3 trips , cut it . It's prolly not going to get wet in the future no matter how long you tote it .

After you put some time on the water you will notice a tendency to use the same few lures most of the time , those would be keepers . The lure or lures you turn to when the going gets tough , keepers . Many times , in both cases they are the same lures .

Paul ,

You are correct any lure in the right location is better than the best lure in the wrong location .

Check out Dan Gapen's How to Fish River Smallies for starters . Pm me if you want more book titles to check out .

Scott ,

A few years ago , I did an article on Recommended Reading . If you have that in the archieves , feel free to reprint it if you desire .

Jim ,

I'll check my files , I think I added some video recommendations . Unfortunately the best In Fish video , Stalking Stream Smallmouth didn't seem to make the transition to the DVD stage .

I believe the two Dan Gapen Riverrat videos are still availible thru his company .

Those three are the best videos in my opinion , so I guess you could go with what you have .

You find any other blasts from the past , use them if you want .

Norm,

Yeah, I'm going to check out that Gapen Book. I've already seen that the library network has it. Also, the library had a Tim Holchslag book a couple years ago that I had checked out. I photocopied just about the entire book. It had fantastic diagrams about how to fish all types of structure. Naturally, I can't find the diagrams and the library network doesn't have it anymore. LOL- my summer reading list is getting bigger and bigger. Good fishing. Paul

Paul ,

The Oak Forest library had a copy of Billy Westmoreland's book back about 8 years ago when I lived in the 'burbs .

If I remember correctly the Midlothian , Blue Island and Homewood libraries had some good stuff . You maybe able to get it thru interlibrary loan .

Paul,

You might want to consider going to One More Cast, a fly fishing shop, in Countryside to see what they carry. Joseph carries several packs that would work for spin fishing as well as fly fishing. If you do visit the store, take along the small tackle boxes that you use to make sure that they fit OK in the packs that you are looking at. It is nice to be able to try on a vest pack or fanny pack to get an idea of how it will work for you.

After all that reading and researching, I think I'll take a fanny pack the next time I go and see how that works. After reading all the advice, it seems that less is more. I can definetely do that. But thanks for the idea. I'll check it out. Paul