Removal of Dams

JOHN SCHENCK

I know this topic has probably come up before but I noticed that Dam # 1 in wheeling was removed on the Dupage recently. Also, the pitcher park Dam on hickory creek is close to being removed much to the dismay of many area residents. I was told there is an initiative to remove several more Dams on local rivers in the near future as we'll. I always figured anything enabling fish move up and down the river to spawn freely was be best for the fishery. But I'm very interested to hear what comments and opinions other ISA members have in this regard?

Thanks,

John

Broad brush: dams are not much good for smallmouth. Flow control is another problem: working together with levees, dams screw up the natural "flood pulse" that keeps rivers and wetlands connected and productive. Also add the terrible danger to canoeists and kayakers from low head dams, by far the most dangerous spots on most rivers around here.

Except. Against all the negatives, maybe two ecological positives:

1) Some dams keep some invasive species out of headwaters on some rivers... remove the dam and you open up the upstream reaches to whatever exotics are established downstream.

2) Sediment stabilized behind a dam may indeed be very toxic, but it's buried. Destroy the dam and you either have to move the sediment or let floods redistribute it for you. This can mobilize a lot of legacy PCBs, mercury, etc.

There is also the issue of the positive social and economic functions of dams, which do exist even if we don't all equally value them. Somebody else who uses the river for navigation, municipal water supply, power generation, or flat water recreation may value a dam. So might a downstream landowner whose property is protected from flooding.

In rare cases taking a dam out might do more harm than good. It's usually a moot point because they deteriorate and fill up with muck over time, so there isn't much choice with an old dam: either take it out or let it fall apart on its own terms.

1) Some dams keep some invasive species out of headwaters on some rivers... remove the dam and you open up the upstream reaches to whatever exotics are established downstream.
Quoting myself. Why? QUESTION: Has anyone clearly seen this pattern with Asian Carp? Do you know a dam where the carp stop, and if so, can you see a huge difference in the fishery upstream versus downstream? I'm thinking probably not given how well those things jump, but maybe the right dam in the right place...?

As far as I know, the high dam at Streator has stopped the movement of Asian carp to the upper reaches of the Vermilion. The lowhead dam in Oglesby, as well as the wildcats, have maybe limited migration to a point but have not stopped the flow of carp upstream.

I would say that bass numbers are down, in the lower stretch of river, compared to what they were before the arrival of the Asian carp.

My city is still fighting the battle of "should we" or "shouldn't we" remove the two low head dams in town on the lower Vermilion River system. This would not even be contemplated if not for the State giving us the funds to remove them both. I'm torn both ways but one of my reasons for not removing them has fallen by the wayside when last summer I saw for the first time several schools of Asian carp up in the North Fork River, they had made it over not one but two dams and the one is not tiny. They must have come thru during flooding or high water. If they do remove the dams, the river levels will drop and the present boat ramp will be available for use a lot less time of the year. Will it help fishing? Only time will tell, some biologists say it will, others point to the Mack and tout what's happened there.

I know this topic has probably come up before but I noticed that Dam # 1 in wheeling was removed on the Dupage recently.

Is there another Wheeling on the DuPage?

I used to be for removing all dams. With the appearance of Asian Carp, I am not for getting rid of all dams. Case in point, the North Vermilion River. The lower part of the river (below the Streator Dam) has many Asian Carp. Above the dam I have yet to see one. It is a tall dam (at least that is what I am told). Gotta believe the dam is saving the upper river.

But if not for tampering, we would not have the luxuries we have today.

There's good tampering and not so good tampering. For every non-native but desirable brown trout out there, you have a common carp, an Asian Silver carp, an Asian Bighead carp, a Snakehead, and the list goes on. Hard to believe we still haven't figured out not to transplant non-native species into our own ecosystem. (Oh and many Brook trout guys will even include the brownies in the non-desirables)