How to Measure a Fish

Mike G

OK I think I know the ISA preferred way to hold a fish for photographs.

Now I have a question about measuring a fish. As background, the tournament circuits and DNRs have similar standards for freshwater fish. The fish is to be measured with a rigid ruler on a flat surface with mouth closed and lobes of the tail compressed. They specifically rule out using a flexible tape and measuring along the curve of the fish's body. Here's an example of their right way from a recent post.

settinglimits2.jpg

More background, this is really important. When (not if) Terry catches Brutus, he has to be sure to measure it correctly otherwise Jude will not accept it. Many of us are following that quest closely.

So I expect there is an ISA preferred way to measure a fish that does not violate the ISA code by laying it down. If not we need one or more ways that everyone can agree on.

Mike,

I saw one time but can't remember where, that a local fishing organization made available for all its members, a plastic or vinyl like "place mat" that had the club's logo and name on it along with a ruler printed on it, with the idea was that it could be folded up rather small in size and one could quickly wet it by dipping it in the water, spreading it out, laying the fish on it and then taking a photo. This probably protected the fish a little better showed an actual measurement, and advertised the Club's logo and name if the photo was ever posted somewhere. Maybe we could do something like that.

When I did fisheries stuff with electroshocked fish, it was always a wet wooden board with a vertical edge (stop) and a built-in ruler. They get very smooth with repeated use. But when I did insect work I took pictures of bugs with rulers or scale objects in the same frame and on the same plane. If the distance and angles are correct it is very easy to measure any point to point distance with free software, after calibrating to the scale object. Assuming: no measurement is error-free, and precision is not a huge deal, a picture of the fish with a scale object in the same plane should work. More trouble later on, but less stress for the fish if you can take the photo without laying the fish out.

Of course, SOME people will be tempted to put their scale objects much closer to the camera than the fish!

I am looking for whatever gets the ISA seal of approval. And it would be great if it also met tournament standards. The trough ruler that Mikea showed would be perfect if the measuring scale was printed on the bottom so that the fish laid right on top if it eliminating any issues of angles or perspective. A folding or telescoping version would make it easier to carry.

Rob' s mat would make a great ISA product. On the web I see they are called truth mats or bragging mats. The ones I found so far are all from down under and marked in metric. They do a great job of combining measuring and photoing into one. And they eliminate the hassle of a tripod. Oh yeah, we could call it the ISA Photo Mat.

So I am dreaming of the perfect fish measuring tool that meets three requirements:

1. Approved by ISA.

2. Meets DNR and tournaments standards.

3. Easy to carry.

If I were wading I don't think I would schlep around a board the size that I'm using right now. But for all the members that float and kayak I realy like it, much faster than digging out a tape, laying the fish, hold the fish still.........you get the idea. Using the "hawg trough" is much less of a fire drill.

I use one of those kind of plastic tape measures you can find in your wife's or mother's sewing box.

I cut it off at 25 inches and have 25" mark attached to a lanyard that is attached to the outside of my chest pack and dangles

off to my side with the beginning of the tape in the water. When I catch a nice sized smallie, I simply lip the bass placing the beginning end of the tape on the outside edge of the lower jaw between my finger, run the tape along the smooth soft body ( :blink: ) ( :o ) ( ! ) (TMI) (start over........)

.....run the tape down along the body to the end of the tail fin for a measurement.

I'm sure every catch and release fisherman tries to do what's right. You have to be able to be inventive with your CPR technique to find ways to

help you in your own unique ways in a safe and fast release. I made a camera mount stainless steal rod that I can stick into the the rivers bank or even

the bottom of the river itself depending on how deep of water is that I'm in. This allows me to take fast pics while usually holding the massive fish in the water

during the quick set up. This works well for me but may not work well for others. Develop a technique that best fits your abilities.

If we're talking just measuring a fish and not photographing, I simply mark my rod. When I build a rod that I think will be used for smallmouth or largemouth fishing, I always make sure my hook keeper wraps finish out at exactly 12 " from the furled butt cap on my reel seat. I then either put in decorative wraps at 1-2" increments or even just use masking tape for a quick measurements out to 18" If the fish is much larger than that, then out comes the tape, which I'm sorry to say, does not get used very often

I have 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20" marks on my rod. Super simple to measure. I don't usually put the fish up against it, just hold 'em up and eyeball 'em.

I get close enough for rock n' roll. And I don't have to carry any extranneous gear. I made the marks with nail polish after dropping 2 tapes in the river during the high water this spring.

I suppose you K3 guys might need a few extra nothches. ;)

-SB

I really like this idea assuming it would get ISA approval for photographing fish. The rollup feature makes it easy to carry and get out when Brutus comes along.

I am working on finding one that measures inches.

I know yours is smaller, Terry. I am looking for something portable that can be laid flat on the ground or boat deck to get a professional measurement yet protect the fish from the slime loss we all dread. So far the marked mat does that and the trough ruler comes close. While it is laid out I can snap a picture with a hand held camera. That eliminates fiddling with a tripod or equivalent or having to take Jim along to take my picture. Right now I use the marked rod system which brings in some undesirable eyeballing IMHO but at least the rod is rigid and does not flop around like a tape.

PS The 80 cm on the Truth Mat converts to 32" which could be trimmed down a bit. But that 32 sounds about right for the fish I am going to measure. :D

I use these, just lip the fish and within seconds back in the water.

http://www.rodrule.com/

Thanks Jim. That is another step toward meeting the "professional" standard for measurement. Holding a fish next to a ruler does not do it. But sticking one of these on the bottom of the Hog Trough that mikea uses would make it possible to lay the fish on top of the ruler as required by tournament rules and DNR practices. Sticking one on a Truth Mat would also get the measurement in Inches that I have been looking for. Of course the mat would have to lie on a flat surface. And as mikea says it would have to be wet to protect the fish. CMPR - catch, measure, photo, release. Now rich seems to think that the hog trough is ok. I am still looking for the ultimate ISA Photo Mat though I have an idea for a prototype.

Personally, I'm not laying the smallie down on any surface for any reason.

I don't need to see a measurement to know that a fish is 16-17-18-19 inches.
Just hold it up with wet hands without bending it's jaw and tell me, if you need to. Nobody is giving prizes here for your great catch. I believe you. Anything under 20 is just another fish....is it that important to know the length under that threshold?

I'm holding out hope for one of Norm's 21" beasts from a North Central IL stream..

time on the water, a hard thing to come by in your situation right now , Mike. You're a standup guy putting the needs of the family first and the needs of others ahead of what your desires are.

I use these, just lip the fish and within seconds back in the water.

http://www.rodrule.com/

Again thanks Jim. After seeing this I did some work with Google and came up with a video that shows a lot of options. A bonus is that it is keyed to kayaks-another favorite topic here.

[media=251]

[/media]

I think we should end this topic. I don't want isa to become more involved that just stating don't photo fish on dry ground and don't bend their jaws. we have made that clear. a friendly reminder may be needed occasionally with new members . lets keep it simple and safe for the smallies. anglers can pick the way they want to measure the fish or decide not too. rich mc