Nesting eagles

John Gillio

Here is a shot of some nesting eagles. The nest is on the west side of route 251 and is seen as you are heading north, just before you start down the hill toward the Peru bridge.

post-1215-0-60139400-1359320111_thumb.jpg

The river is frozen over and the eagles are congregating at the Starved Rock lock and dam. I saw about a dozen eagles on a single tree Friday at the Lock and Dam Visitor Center.

There are a good number of eagles up and down the river in this area.

Neat. Bald eagles have become so common around the Fox River (all year long) it's rare that I don't see one or two while out fishing. They certainly are easier to spot in winter, and if you ever hear ducks and geese going crazy and then taking flight, look for the eagle to fly through shortly thereafter. They love to glide up or downriver low and scare the heck out of everything!

Are they actually nesting this early or are they just using the tree a nest is in?

I'm quite sure there are no eggs yet. Occasionally one of the eagles is in the nest and appears to be making adjustments. Getting things in order I suppose.

There are a few other nests in the area along the Illinois and Vermilion Rivers. I haven't checked along the Fox near Ottawa but I wouldn't doubt their existence there too.

It is cool to see them year-round and on a daily basis.

John,

wife wants to head up north again even though I've got a mature bald eagle and an immature one spending some time right behind my house on the North Fork River. But to the more important issue at hand, we had a fellow from Troy Grove at this weekend's Fly Tie and he claimed Skoog's? is better than Duffey's, what say ye.

John,

wife wants to head up north again even though I've got a mature bald eagle and an immature one spending some time right behind my house on the North Fork River. But to the more important issue at hand, we had a fellow from Troy Grove at this weekend's Fly Tie and he claimed Skoog's? is better than Duffey's, what say ye.

I would say the Skoog burger is hard to beat. Their fish is also better. The rest may be up for grabs. I would give Duffy's more points for atmosphere. To confuse you even more: Canal Port also has good food and a friendly nice atmosphere. Just a mile or so out of town on route 6 east toward Ottawa is the Cajun Connection, Voted one of the best restaurants in the Peoria, WEEK Channel 25 viewing area, by their news team. Cajun food is their specialty. The best prices are at Joy and Ed's. It's probably the oldest establishment in town with the least atmosphere, but the food isn't bad, the soups are very good,and they serve breakfast. If you like to eat, Utica isn't a bad place to be. That's all I have to say about that.

John,

I lied, one more thing, Canal Port has very good steaks and is my wife's favorite. :D

They have a lot of shrimps, crawfish, catfish, frog legs, oysters, gator, cajun sausage, blackened steaks, chicken, jambalaya and much more, along with some good cajun beers. The dessserts are fantastic. The owner (and cook) is from New Orleans and will probably make time to visit your table to see if all is well. Website is ronscajunconnection.com

Hey Forrest,

if all goes well, we (Mrs. Lieutenant Dan and myself) might be heading up that way to view the eagles next weekend. If the weather is not hazardous, and you're available, maybe we can take in a burger or shrimp. Will let you know as we get closer.

Hey Forrest,

if all goes well, we (Mrs. Lieutenant Dan and myself) might be heading up that way to view the eagles next weekend. If the weather is not hazardous, and you're available, maybe we can take in a burger or shrimp. Will let you know as we get closer.

Hey Forrest,

Warning Will Rogers, Warning.

Utica Mardi Gras parade is Sat.Feb. 9 at 6:00pm. The main drag is closed for an hour or so, the streets fill with people, and the eating places all fill up after the parade. My honey and I will be there with her brother and sister-in law. It's not an elaborate parade by any means, but Sue likes to see it when she gets a chance.

Cajun conection hours are Fri.-Sat. 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Sun. Noon - 6:00pm, with live Cajun music on Sun. the 10th from 2:00 - 5:00pm. All other spots are open for lunch and dinner.

Just thought you might want to know.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that the eagles are sitting on eggs. The nest on RT 251 is close to the road and easy to see. It looks like a lot of cars do stop along the road. If you do please be careful. There is also an eagles nest on RT 71 just west of RT23 in Ottawa IL. Its on

an island north of the Cargill Grain elevator.

Bill S.

• 1 month later...

Took a canoe trip today and came upon this beauty. He was not camera shy and though there was something flapping in the nest, I couldn't exactly see if it was little ones or maybe the Mrs. I only wish I would have had a better camera with a longer lens on me.

post-485-0-01612900-1367895609_thumb.jpg post-485-0-17666300-1367895625_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...