What is this stuff?

Terry Dodge

What is this stuff............

......and should I be hitting it?

This stuff is new (this year) to the Kish. In some areas it's all over the place.

Is this good for a river? Bad for a river? Good for smallmouth? Bad for smallmouth?

What is this stuff?!!!

If there is sufficient depth smallmouth will tuck under and use the edges and back for ambush points. There is a lot of it in the state park area of the Kankakee. When it starts breaking free it can be a pita. It can from floating clumps big enough to buckle your knee. I am having fun and games with it, that's most of what makes up the floating weeds in my reports.

Good for macros, small fish and can be good cover for predators. It is a hassle for fishermen when it starts breaking free and floating.

Thanks for your info Norm.

Now that the Kish has this stuff do you think it's something that will return every year, or do you

think it's just something that has popped up this year due to low levels and chances are it won't return unless the levels go low again?

since the kish has very little water weeds i would consider it a blessing.

Really?

i like using a buzzbait around these, and if i can, right over the top

Really?

I do have to admit that I did spook a fish out of one of these.

These rivers are a changing'. (sounds like a Bob Dylan song)

What is this? Nirvana. Should I be hitting this? Like its the last time you'll be fishing. Look for defined channels between patches even if a foot wide and follow those channels to there end. I had the best luck, on another river, fishing the shadier side of the piles. I was throwing a 3" black blue senko weedless wacky with a few little twitches now and then. Casting upstream and allowing to dead drift as close to edges as possible.

ithe root systems should also help keep softer sediment in place, that can be a big plus.

pike have also been known to use it.

on the kankakee in low, clear water the beds are definitely larger and more numerous . In years with higher and more stained water it's still there but not as prevelant.

I would think that once it gets established it's not going away.

Terry, I have noticed more of this on the Kish this year too. I think it has a lot to do with the drought and the fact that it has had all year to root and grow without a flood to wash it out. I have not been catching fish around them so far. The areas I see them grow are slower, sandier, silty, and shallow. My pattern for smallmouth this summer have been areas with current and rocks and access to deeper water. I don't find that stuff growing in current and rocks. I do think this stuff is good for the system providing much needed O2 during this hot summer. It also provides structure for forage and young of the year smallmouth to hide and grow. Maybe this fall when things finally cool down the bigger smallmouth could start using this stuff