Fly fascination

Guest Jim S.

Guest Jim S.

Interesting that my first post would be here, but I have alsways been intrigued by those who fly fish and all that is involved. So, I finally gave in to my curiosity and ordered myself a combo. Nothing over the top, something to get started with and feel it out. Have been trying to read a lot and get to know the "language". An old school mate of mine does some fly fishing, so he is gonna help me get started as well. In short, I am very excited with learning this art of fishing. Thanks, and glad to be a part of the ISA.

The best thing you can do to develop as a flyguy is to make use of the written & video instruction from experts like Lefty Kreh,Joan Wulff etal.Unless whoever you know is accomplished himself he could wind up doing you little good or even harm.

Guest rich mc

try to stop by the tying session with craig this saturday. its posted in the bassbugger forum. his flies are the cutting edge and fascinating rich

Terry

Thanks(I think) You should've seen me perform yesterday in the Driftless.I spent most of the time re-rigging due to frequent shoreline snagups& tangles from bad casting .Capped the day off by coming home a day early due to car trouble which I just learned is gonna cost almost $700.Not exactly the happy results from the Badger State Tom & Carl just posted.

The best thing you can do to develop as a flyguy is to make use of the written & video instruction from experts like Lefty Kreh,Joan Wulff etal.Unless whoever you know is accomplished himself he could wind up doing you little good or even harm.

Jim,

Ron gave you two good sources. Problem is that there are so many good sources. Even the two Ron mentioned have different casting styles. Joan's is more classic while Lefty rewrites the book. Personally I am studying Lefty's Longer Fly Casting because it makes a lot of sense to me. Definitely ask questions; just limit whom you ask.

I started with the Redington Crosswater package a few years ago, and let me tell you, if you catch the bug, you will be purchasing more rods. I have numerous rods now, but I still get use out of my first combo rod. Its an 8wt, and it makes a great saltwater rod when I get the chance. Their is so much out their to read and watch, but I can honestly say I have learned a lot from the guys on this forum, not only about fly fishing in general, but also about fly tying. Ask a lot of questions, lots of knowledge on this site, not just from the fly guys either. Ryan

Welcome Jim S.

There is so much info here, you're head is gonna spin. :lol: Seriouusly, The other thing to do is watch the forums for the "Cast & Compare"

If you attend This Event You will be able to try many different brands of rods in different weights as well as different lines from many of the

Manufacturers. Plus, the lessons and knowledge you would recieve in that time span (priceless). Plus usally afterward some of us fish.

As the weather warms, the events will begin. Also check out the "calendar" things pop up sometimes. Look forward to meeting you at one

of the upcoming events.

Jim

Some great advice here so far.Also on March 24th at Bass Pro Shops in Bolingbrook we are going to have Austin Adduci as our guest speaker.Austin is a very knowledgeable guide on both Lake Michigan and the Kankakee river. He is also well versed in fly fishing and tying.

Ed Buric

Guest Jim S.

Thanks everyone, really looking forward to a good 2012!

Ed, the 24th sounds like a great day, but that for me is "empty nest" day. Moving my son out, well, until he moves back in.

Thanks everyone, really looking forward to a good 2012!

Ed, the 24th sounds like a great day, but that for me is "empty nest" day. Moving my son out, well, until he moves back in.

Congrats on entering the AC period of life. The periods are:

BC, Before Children, great play time and great for fishing.

C, Children, very serious time with "bigger fish to raise."

AC, After Children, great fishing but you will miss the kids.

My best advice is last. Get a good pair of wrap-around polarizing sunglasses. They protect your eyes and provide great below surface vision.