The Darkside

Terry Dodge

One of my goals for 2012 is to spend more time fishing with my brother, who is a fisherman, but spends most of his time fishing the lakes up in Wisconsin.

I'm not much for lake fishing myself. I'll take a small to mid-sized river over a lake any day. My brother told me today that he would like to go out and do some wading for smallmouth with me. If I can get him out on a good day, when the bite is hot, I think I can open his eyes to the best way of fishing.

I was just wondering if anybody has ever successfully got a person away from their preferred power boats and lakes (The Darkside) way of fishing

and opened their eyes to the world of wading for smallmouths?

I hope to have fun trying.

I was strictly a boat fisherman when I joined the ISA. I then started wading pretty regularly. Today, I seldom wade anymore except for short stretches when I get out of my pontoon. I never really liked wading but before I had a pontoon it was the only way to fish the rivers here in Northern Illinois.

Terry, I don't think there is a "best way" of fishing. How about a compromise? Enjoy lake fishing with your bro and hope he returns the favor by giving river fishing a try with you. A trade-a-trip type deal.

I fully agree with Eric,I was strickley a boat fisherman until I retired and discovered the quality smallmouth fishing in our local rivers.So much so that I sold my boat and spent the last ten years wading.But I still take fishing trips using boats and fishing with my brother in Wisconsin every spring.Also bought a kayak for local small lakes and ponds with an occasional river trip.

Guest Don R

My teen years were spent shore fishing ponds. In my late teens and early twenties I went on several boat trips in Minnesota and Canada. My thirties had me canoeing the Boundary Waters and Quetico Park. I started wade fishing in my late thirties. This last decade I've been on several boat trips in Alabama and two in Florida, kayaked and canoed the rivers of north Wisconsin and wade fished a lot in Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan and Arkansas. Writing that down makes me realize two things. I'm no doubt forgetting some things because my memory isn't that good. And I'm really blessed to have fished this much!

I kinda agree that there isn't a best way of fishing. I've enjoyed it all! That being said, I can remember right after I caught a 6lb 4oz smallie from Pickwick Lake in Alabama I thought to myself.....that was fun, but I'd much rather wade fish and catch a 17"er!

I pray I'll be able to wade fish for a very long time. I like boat fishing and I love kayaking or canoeing. But for me there's nothing like wade fishing. The 'one with the water' feeling. The angle, the approach and the feel just can't be replicated in my opinion.

So to answer your question Terry, "I was just wondering if anybody has ever successfully got a person away from their preferred power boats and lakes (The Darkside) way of fishing

and opened their eyes to the world of wading for smallmouths?"

Yes, I got myself away from it. At least for now.

I'm jus playin'.

There is no Darkside to fishing. Not even fly fishing.

I'm just a little excited about getting my bro out wading. I'm not sure if he has ever waded.

If he has waded then it's been 30+ since he's gotten his feet wet.