Millions of Dead Fish and Birds

The sky is falling!

But why?

In case you haven't heard, 2 million dead fish wash up in Chesapeake Bay alone, and hundreds of thousands more globally.

Birds are dropping from the sky all over the world as well in recent days.

The internet is buzzing over this......

http://news.google.c...+birds+and+fish

I can't help but wonder why we don't have millions of birds committing mass genocide on themselves every July 4th.

One would think if that was the case, we'd have quite a mess on our hands every year!

Hmmmm......

I can't help but wonder why we don't have millions of birds committing mass genocide on themselves every July 4th.

One would think if that was the case, we'd have quite a mess on our hands every year!

Hmmmm......

Yeah... I'm calling B.S. on the firework theory! dry.gif

I wonder, if one of those July 4 fireworks, arial bombs, set off in the middle of a flock of birds would kill birds just with the concussion from the blast. You know those bombs that you feel in your chest when they go off. I know blackbirds don't fly at night, but if the flock were startled by the fireworks display, then flew into the area where a bomb went off, maybe the shock wave could do some damage.

This sounds like something Myth Busters should investigate.

There's no doubt that there was some kind of acute traumatic event that caused the kills. Any sickness, virus, or disease wouldn't trigger that many birds to die all at once. It's odd that it only effected a certain species and not others. Also, the numbers of birds are numerous and localized which gives the scientists some clues to go on. Another clue that they may consider is if the event occured before or during flight. The dispersal pattern of the dead should explain at least when the event occured.

Fish are a bit different...the kills can be due to stress factors brought on by mother nature. But again it's a bit odd that it effected only one species. A quick acting virus could be a plausible explanation.

It'll be interesting to find out.

If most of those birds were starlings & grackles I'd welcome a repeat performance of whatever killed 'em.Although they don't pose the same threat, as far as I'm concerned grackles are to the bird kingdom what asian carp are to the fish kingdom. I keep a bb gun handy thruout the summer when they invade my yard.The opossum that lives under the shed disposes of the carcasses for me.