Baitcasters, what is your favorite reel?

Mike G

I have to go tell Santa what I want for Christmas. A new baitcasting reel will be high on the list. But I have a problem picking one since Cabela's, for example, has over 60 models ranging in price from $20 to close to $700. So what is your favorite, and what do you like about it?

Quantum Tour PT.7:3 gear ratio. This is the smoothest Baitcaster I have ever used. I have been able to cast Weightless Flukes and Senkos with this one. I have never been able to that with any other baitcaster consistently so far. I mainly purchased this because I throw a lot of Cranks and like to cover water fast. It's a very versatile reel. I have a Revo and a Core as well and they are both good reels but don't even compare in my opinion to the Tour Edition. Hope this helps! Good Luck in your Request from Santa!

I have purchased two BPS Carbonlite Baitcasters and love them both. They are light and smooth and priced at a reasonable point that makes them affordable for most people. I also have the Carbonlite Rods to match and are also very light and sensitive with a reasonable price.

I own numerous baitcasters and my favorite is the Bass Pro shops Johnny Morris Signature Series, they currently go for $119, I have three of them. They used to sell them for $169. Recently I spoke with a BPS salesman and he told me that they are changing the manufacturer of those reels for next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they're at close-out pricing in March.

I also have the BPS Extreme which is OK for the money. I believe the quantum KVD series, which goes for $99, will be on sale this weekend, at BPS, for about $50, I like this one better than the extreme.

You get what you pay for. If you fish a lot you'll be much happier buying a more expensive reel.

Which ever reel you buy, I would make sure you can dial in the magnetic brake on the outside. It's a pain taking off the cover to adjust the brake.

I have to agree with the Quantum Tour. I only fish with Quantum products. I use the Energy PT series 5:1 and 6:4. Both are very light and smooth. The 5:1 I use for cranking and for slower plastics. Can't beat this one for hard to reel in lures like DT14-20's. Feels like your reeling in a grub. It helps that it's a work of art as well. The multicoloring accents give it a real nice touch in photos and lying in your boat. I also have a Abu Revo STX that is very nice but it scratches too easily. It looks like it's 10years old. But only have had it one season. Very soft outside shell. Good Luck!

I like my older discontinued green Shimano Curados. You could probably find one on ebay etc. I believe the Citica is supposed to have replaced the older Curado after they changed it and have heard good things about it.

Whatever you get consider going with a higher/faster gear ratio. You can always physically reel slower if needed but you can't reel fast enough to keep up with current etc on the slower geared models (jmo).

60 models at Cabela's? Looks like you're going to get 60 different model choices here as well. I have several baitcasters but I haven't bought one in a dozen years. I use a Shimano Curado also and have found that many others on various fishing forums all have good things to say about them.

Figure out what your budget is first. You get what you pay for usually hold true with baitcasters. That should remove quite a few choices. Figure out what are going to use the reel for. Will you need a high speed reel? Syncronized level wind? Lots of line capacity? High profile? Low? That should narrow your search down even more. You'll probably get down to only 3 or 4 choices by that time. Then like the magic 8 balls says "Ask again later".

The KVD Quantum Series is on sale for $50 at Bass Pro as stated above. This is basically a Quantum Code with his Signature. I have a Code and like it very much! I just don't use it as often because I went and spent more money on reels that are about the same in performance. I.E. Revo! I guess I can't bring myself to use at as often as I should out of guilt or shame that I wasted the money on a couple of higher profile reels. This is a very good beginner Baitcaster and is a great price. I paid 89.99 for my Code about 4 years ago. It's easy to dial in and has a matte finish to it so it doesn't scratch like the more expensive models.

I think a bigger consideration than brand (as...there are a lot of nice reels out there) is whether to go righty or lefty. If you are going to do a lot of cranking, without imparting a lot of action to the lure. I would go righty (assuming you are right handed). If you fish a lot of lures taht require twiching or whatever. I would go lefty.

• 3 weeks later...

I had got a bunch of Revo STX when they came out. It is a good reel especially for the price and I was considering some around $400. I liked the reel better than the high dollar ones. Then I had a guide a shimano guy who had the cuarado 200e7. It is $20 less and lighter. I got a few of those. I alternate between the Revo and the cuardo depending on how I feel. I like the cuardo on the cumara rod it feels great and you could hold it all day. I rarely see a tournament angler on throwing a cuarado they are great reels.

For spinning I prefer shimano they seem to be made better. I have moved towards cheaper models lately. I was intersted in the stella when it was $500 but never bought it. Now it is $700. A good time to come out with a $700 reel in this economy. That is just too much and I think a spring is a spring and would break in any reel. I had some stradics but now prefer the symetre for a $100 bucks. I had a good few years of fishing using that reel on cumara and crucial rods. Light weight and dependable.

I don't own any quantum. KVD is a walking billboard. I do believe in two of his baits the finesse worm and the redeye shad. I always carry those with me. I don't care for his rods and the rest of his lures don't do anything for me.