How do you stop fish from jumping and throwing the hook.

Dick G

Yesterday I lost two really nice fish that threw the hook as they leaped entirely out of the water. I love the sight of airborne smallmouth, but is there a technique to prevent the fish from jumping while trying to bring the fish to hand. The bigger fish seem to know all the tricks: they pull upstream testing your drag; they bolt downstream faster than you can take in line or set the hook; they dive down into rock, weed or wood cover and tangle your line; or they propel into the air with a tremendous twist and shake of their bodies. To prevent the jump, do you let the fish play itself out in deeper water? Or do you try to get the fish to shallow water immediately? Or do you stick the end of the pole under water? Or do you just smile at the sight of a flying fish, and realize some fish are jumpers and some jumpers get off? Just asking.

I've found that the pole in the water pulling at a downward angle or at least the pole sideways pointing towards the water works. That has seemed to keep jumps to a big swirl/half a leap. Unfortunatley I haven't had that problem this year :( I have however had couple mid size fish (14/16) jump a nano second after they hit a crankbait. Nothing I could do but hang on and hope they stayed on.

Higher speed reel would help with fish racing toward you and of course adjusting drag mid fight can help. I don't like horsing those big fish too much.

It's good to see that even an old dog is interested in learning new tricks.I don't know how well sticking the rod in the water works.Could it result in a broken rod if you're in shallow enuf? Another technique is to pull the rod hard to the side to pull the fish back down to the water just as he breaks the surface depending on how fast he is & how fast you are.When fishing for fish big enuf to break your line falling on it following the jump you should instead create slack by dropping the rod tip down.Like Dan witnessing a jump is too thrilling to try to prevent it however disappointing it is to lose a big one.Maybe if it was THE BIG ONE.....

Interesting question and responses.

I too love the sight of a leaping smallmouth, but learned from my past tournament experiences to point the rod tip down and never let a fish jump. Of course, there was money on the line at that time so the decision was easy.

I guess the same ultimate decision could still ring true today for me.

I really want to know if my personal best is on the end of that line.....just 1/4 inch and I'm at my goal!

After that, maybe my outlook changes.

If you want to make sure that the fish won't jump and throw the hook, switch to walleye fishing. If smallies didn't jump, we wouldn't like fishing for them so much! Knowing that they are skilled at throwing the hook and the chance that they will do so is pretty good, adds to the excitement of smallmouth fishing. In the end, I don't think there is too much you can do to reduce the amount of bass who come "unbuttoned". Keep your hooks sharp, keep tension on the line and hold on!

I had the opposite problem today. Fishing at lunch. It made a great topwater smash, jumped twice then crawled under a rock. I couldn't get him out and I wanted my damn lure back cause it's a kick ass bait and I wasn't sure they still make them.

So I rolled up my pants best I could and waded in knee deep. It was a big rock, but I flipped over and he took off again. I got him in raced back to work a few minutes late and with my pants half wet.

I work in a pretty nice facilty,where they are walking customers thru all the time, so I cowered off into my corner wet pant legs and all. Just glad I didn't fall in.

Let 'em jump I say.

10cqgzs.jpg

Not first hand experience, but I recall a fly fishing show recently that instructed to "bow" to the fish with your rod. Not you just the rod since they are fun to watch! :)

Paul

That advice pertains to preventing big fish from breaking the line during the jump.Bowing to the fish ie lowering the rod won't stop the jump it'll create slack in the line to prevent line breakage and is typically done for steelhead,salmon'saltwater species or trout where very light 5-7x tippets are often necessary.

Btw Bowing to the fish doesn't mean sticking the rod into the water.It literally means bowing at the waist to create slack.

I always run after them and try catching them in mid-air. So far it hasn't worked out so well, but it definitely enhances the experience! B)

Btw.... sticking the half the rod in the water and keeping pressure on the fish DOES work quite well.

even if you catch them in mid air you still need to duct tape them to the lure

Plunging the rod tip down and applying downward pressure works very well, if that's your bag.

If a fish does jump, put more pressure on to keep the lure tight. Slack allows them to throw the bait free. Let the rod bend and drag cushion shock. Give no quarter.

Use razor sharp hooks and check them often.

For spinning reels, I go with fast retrieving reels (6:1:1, 6:1:0 etc) for just this reason. Catch up quick with 33-35" per handle crank.

Mark that is funny- wading in after your lure then going to the office.