FISH KILL on the Fox

Guest airbornemike

seen this on WGN news at 11am. figured it would get on here soon enough. some people, i don't know, you just can't explain it..

have they figured out the chemical yet? maybe those 2 should be made to take a bath in it themselves..

I want to know more and being down here I don't hear much. Can you keep me posted on this. That was my favorite river to fish. I posted this on my Ozark Anglers.com site here in Missouri and they are as must interested as I am and suggested that maybe it was chemicals from a meth lab. Several on here have my e-mail so if you would let me know what is happening.

They should get the harshest punishment. They should most definitely be made an example of.

Should we first find them guilty before we hang them? Not sure that we know just yet what happened, what these guys were doing, why they were doing it, and if there is some mitigating factor. Once we know that, then build the gallows.

Should we first find them guilty before we hang them? Not sure that we know just yet what happened, what these guys were doing, why they were doing it, and if there is some mitigating factor. Once we know that, then build the gallows.

they were caught "red handed" so that's pretty much enough evidence i would think..anything dumped in the water systems that kills that quick can't be good..

they were caught "red handed" so that's pretty much enough evidence i would think..anything dumped in the water systems that kills that quick can't be good..

I'll bite: What was it they were caught "dumping"? Why were they dumping it? Did whatever they dumped cause a fish kill? Maybe they were using red paint and got it on their hands. That would explain the "red handed" condition. Don't you just hate due process?

Has there been anything new printed on this. I wouldn't think it would take this long to find out what the Chemical was and get something in the way of Charges going. Hopefully it won't get swept under the table for some reason.

Hopefully it won't get swept under the table for some reason.

Why wouldn't it? It always does! The big fish kill on the rock last year....Nothing was ever done about it.

The Mega farm on the Apple nothing was ever done to change the fact that that's a disaster waiting to happen.

We live in a world of .."Oh Well!"

Guest airbornemike

Yeah the police acording to reports, catch them in the act and turn it over to the IDNR :blink: Um why not immediatly arrested on the FRICK'N SPOT?

What is it happened on the Potomac River in there back yards. Why not call the EPA they were illegally dumping toxic chemicals. I don't see anything coming from this. Send some letters to the IDNR demanding action against these perpetrators. The ISA has got pretty good pull with the IDNR.

I'll bite: What was it they were caught "dumping"? Why were they dumping it? Did whatever they dumped cause a fish kill? Maybe they were using red paint and got it on their hands. That would explain the "red handed" condition. Don't you just hate due process?

YES what they were dumping was an acid based chemical, a South Elgin recycling plant (D & Y recyling)was the plant it came from. they were there illegally to begin with as they didn't have an operating license. however they cannot file criminal charges, but ONLY A 50.OO FINE......just search "fox river fish kill" and you can see the whole story...

and you sir (no offense) are to naive....

YES what they were dumping was an acid based chemical, a South Elgin recycling plant (D & Y recyling)was the plant it came from. they were there illegally to begin with as they didn't have an operating license. however they cannot file criminal charges, but ONLY A 50.OO FINE......just search "fox river fish kill" and you can see the whole story...

and you sir (no offense) are to naive....

Followed your advise, search "fox river fish kill", not much out there. Seems the IDNR investigation is ongoing, but doesn't look as if they can recover what was dumped, and it dilutes. Did it get into the Fox, or just the pond and tributary? I didn't find stuff on the operating license issue.

......and I am "to naive...." as you are to guilible? ( no offense taken )

Guest airbornemike

What is it happened on the Potomac River in there back yards. Why not call the EPA they were illegally dumping toxic chemicals. I don't see anything coming from this. Send some letters to the IDNR demanding action against these perpetrators. The ISA has got pretty good pull with the IDNR.

Ironic the EPA ofices are right in downtown Elgin.

Ironic the EPA ofices are right in downtown Elgin.

Time for the ISA to start sending letters out starting with the EPA office in Elgin and the IDNR head man in Springfield as well as the Attorney Generals Office. Somebody has to be held accountable for this.

Attached is the article: A $50 dollar fine....can't even begin to say how that makes me feel.

May 21, 2010

By GLORIA CARR gcarr@stmedianetwork.com

SOUTH ELGIN -- The business at the heart of an illegal chemical dumping investigation did not have an occupancy permit or a special-use permit -- requirements for operating in the village, South Elgin officials said.

Officials said they discovered last week that D&Y Recycling, in the 600 block of Sundown Road, was occupying the building illegally. The discovery was made as officials gathered paperwork for another tenant in the same building, Community Development Director Steve Super said.

"We were in the process of verifying all the facts when they (the company) had the dumping incident over the weekend," Super said, adding code enforcement officers closed the business down earlier this week. "We went out and basically informed them they could not be in the village without the occupancy permit."

Neighbors called police Saturday evening after spotting bubbling foam and dead fish in a stream running into the river near Sundown and Route 31. Police checked the nearby industrial park and spotted two employees from D&Y pouring what is believed to have been an acid-based chemical into the storm sewer leading to the stream, authorities said.

The company is owned by John Zheng, according to reports. Calls to the firm were not returned Thursday.

"He's out of business; he is not operating there," Super said.

Code enforcement officers wrote six tickets -- two to the property owner and four to Zheng. The property owner, identified as Parker Scruggs, was cited with failure to obtain an occupancy permit and work without a permit. Zheng was cited with failure to obtain an occupancy permit, working without a permit, littering and illicit discharge, which relates to the dumping, Super said. The village cannot file criminal charges in the dumping case, but only issue the ordinance violations, he said.

Each ticket carries a $50 fine.

Both men must appear at an administrative hearing at village hall unless they pay the fines, he said.

In addition to an occupancy permit, D&Y Recycling was required to obtain a special-use permit because of the type of business it did, Super said.

Recycling lends itself to businesses "not always knowing what they are getting," Super said. "The village is concerned how they are managing it." The dumping investigation "is a perfect example of why we would require a special-use permit," he said.

According to its website, the company -- founded in 2004 -- handles waste plastic for recycling, and its main market is mainland China. The company's total U.S. sales were reported to be $50 million. Its company slogan is "making the world cleaner."

No one appeared to be working at the Sundown Road business Thursday. Zheng reportedly was removing his property from the building this week, Super said.

Illinois Department of Natural Resources spokeswoman Januari Smith said Thursday there were no new developments in the state's investigation of the chemical dumping. The IDNR is the lead agency in the probe. It is awaiting test results to determine what was dumped into the storm sewer at the business.

D&Y Recycling hired a private company to clean up the stream earlier this week.

50.00 fine, a slap on the wrist. pathetic. :angry::angry::angry:

By God, now, they'll go out and never do it again ! that'll teach'em. (sic) actually i wonder how much profit they made off the chem they dumped? i bet it was more than 50 bucks.

"Graspin' Capitalist Bastards!" - nicholas voelker

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Don R

Heard on the radio yesterday that charges have been filed against two individuals in this case by attorney general Lisa Madigan. If convicted they could each face up to three years in prison.

I know many are upset about this case and similar abuse to our resources. Unfortunately, history seems to repeat itself over and over again. ISA is an organization that provides members with volunteer opportunities to help the resources we care about. I urge ISA members to do what they can to volunteer to help our resources whenever the opportunities are available. Environmental improvements take time, effort, and most importantly, volunteers. River clean-ups, supporting legislation that benefits the environment, contacting your local congressman, volunteering for kids' events, participating in group activities, completing river watch training, sign postings....there are many ways to fight back! Water willow planting is scheduled this month. I too was upset about the dumping...in response I urged my congressman to increase the minimum fine for dumping, asked him to support the EPA and communicated my personal disappointment with the $50.00 slap on the wrist.