Saved a life today

Norm M

I originally took the day off work today to go to the private pond outing but some family business came up so I rsvped. First thing this morning cat got sick so took it to the animal hospital then back to family business. Later Zach and I did some cleaning up and then home for a late lunch.

I decided to go out for a little fishing -late afternoon and evening bite - hopefully. I hit a few spots and was on a decent waterwillow pattern. I was moving to go hit a couple other patches when on a whim I decided to hit a point pool below a popular tributary. I was working a crankbait from the seam in and got one fish before I heard a lot of screaming and yelling from around the bend by the creekmouth. Next thing I hear a voice yelling I can't swim and see a head out in the main current flow. I yelled at the person to try to kick over a few feet and get into the slower water and she just yelled back she couldn't. I fired out a cast with my crank, it fell about 3 feet short. She yelled to throw her the line again, I was already wading out further as I reeled in. Next cast , I was out far enough and lead her enough that the current swept her right into my line. She grabbed hold and wrapped it around her arm. I started pumping and reeling and tightening the drag as much as I dared. I got her in far enough where the current was slow enough and it was shallow enough that she could stand up. I kept wading out to her and grabbed her and walked her onto the shore where someone from her family got her.

The local Fire Dept showed up and checked her out. Ok except for being scared. The family was advised to take her to a doctor if she had any intestinal trouble develop from potential waterborne parasites.

I don't know why I decided to stop there but I'm glad I did. Also something to be said for using medium heavy spinning tackle and 17 lb Trilene XT as my regular gear.

I just wish folks didn't let thier kids swim in rivers that are about twice the normal flow for this time of year.

Well done Norm! I'm sure that you're decision to stop there was not by chance.

Heavier gear.... I always use it, no matter how many people disagree with me. I've never had to put it to the use the way you did, but figure it might get me out of some sticky, silty situations that I get myself into.

I am sure glad you were there at that time and were able to save that very precious life. She was sure lucky you were around when she needed someone.

wow, i can't even think what was going through your mind..quick thinking in a life or death situation..Norm you Are the man in more ways than one...great job. i only met you once and i got the feeling you not only do what you do because it's good for the environment and our river system but YOU ENJOY DOING IT..my hat is off to you.. :D

scott

Thanks guys. With the string of events that took place that allowed me to be there, I'm sure some force was at work to get me there.

I now know who I want to fish with when wading 3K. So far over the past three years I've slipped and fallen in both the Kank and Fox. That's why I endorse John Graham's approach of floatfishing in my canoe.

Paddlin' Man (aka "Klutz Kollmann")

Incredible story Norm. You never know when that opportunity comes up to be the hero. Some people freeze, panic or just don't know what to do. Others seize the moment without hesitation and know exactly what to do without thinking about. Instinct just kicks in. It's a good thing for that young lady that you knew what to do.

Norm, as I read your chilling story I was thinkin' the same about the outside force and couldn't agree with you more. Big high-five to you and you will be blessed in another way that you have know idea about. Nice job and see on the water or in the water I should say. GOOSE ;)