Wader Suggestion

jrospopo

Hello,

I have been a member for the last couple of years but have not been active. I would like to join you in the upcoming fishing activities. I see that most of you fish using waders. I don't own a pair of waders so I'll need your suggestions on which one to get.

I see in the Basspro spring fishing classic sales ad that they have a pair of White River Fly Shop waders on sale. What do you think of these ? Or are there better ones out there ? Also what about wading boots ? I see some waders have them built in and others require that you purchase them. What are you thoughts and recommendations on these ? Also what fishing tackle do you recommend, for example reel/rod suggestions and tackle suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Jim

Hello,

I have been a member for the last couple of years but have not been active. I would like to join you in the upcoming fishing activities. I see that most of you fish using waders. I don't own a pair of waders so I'll need your suggestions on which one to get.

I see in the Basspro spring fishing classic sales ad that they have a pair of White River Fly Shop waders on sale. What do you think of these ? Or are there better ones out there ? Also what about wading boots ? I see some waders have them built in and others require that you purchase them. What are you thoughts and recommendations on these ? Also what fishing tackle do you recommend, for example reel/rod suggestions and tackle suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Jim

A guy from Alabama replying to a wader question. Yep, we have to wear em' down here, and I just did a "update" on mine. I have been extremely happy with the Simms products. I have a pair of the older generation River-Tek and the Guide Series. I am assuming your considering "breathables"? I look at "wear points" and try to make my decision on what's going to hold up. Check out the seam on the foot/booty -this area gets a ton of wear from friction caused by sliding around in a boot. Great candidate for a leak. I like built in gravel guards with a lace clip.. Built in wader belt or at least "attached" is nice. Dang, the more stuff I don't have to look for at 4:00 am before leaving to fish is just nice! As far as boots. The Cabela's 'Ultra Lite" wading boot is alot of boot for the $. The felt bed is nice and lofty. I do like my Simms aqua-stealth with spikes when/if I do find ice. Sierra Trading Post is a good outlet for awesome mark-downs on waders.

There are quite a few good companies out there. Cabela's Bass Pro, Simms etc.

Price is an issue but the biggest thing is fit.

I would go to One More Cast and get fitted properly and get some great wader advice.

Joseph Meyer, the owner, is a great ISA supporter but more importantly he is an expert as far as wader info goes.

A lot of guys will post about personal experience with brands etc.

I used Simms for a long time and now own a pair of Cabela's. I have had excellent experience with both.

I am also looking into new waders and boots. AIS (Anglers International Resources) on Dundee in Palatine has some nice waders by Wright and McGill, but not cheap ($200 - $300). But when I asked about Sticky Rubber wading boots, they drew a blank. This is really what we should be going towards, as felt transmits Whirling and other diseases. On the internet I only found Simms, Patagonia, and LLBean offering Sticky Rubber. Anybody have any experience with these?

Ron

Hi, Jim...for waders, I think the important thing is to go with breathable stocking foot waders. I'm not so sure there's a huge difference in brands, and as Scott F. likes to say: "There are two kinds of waders. Those that leak and those that will leak."

Breathable so you can wear them in warm weather comfortably. You can layer long johns etc under when it's cold out.

Stocking foot because separate boots give much better ankle support.

I have been browsing the spring catalogs for a pair of waders for a friend and Cabellas has a large selection.

In trying to pick something out for him I took a look at the features on my waders that I think are important.

Breathable waders are a must, no more hot neoprenes for me.

I want a pocket on the inside of my waders at chest level with a zipper. If its somewhat water proof so much the better.

Why? I carry my camera and my cars remote door lock there. I have slipped a few times and gotton water in my waders but was able to get the camera out without incident.

Built in rock guards. What a pleasure. I put on my boots slip the guards down over my ankles and fasten the hook on to my laces and forget about them until its time to take them off. Oh yes, with the attached guards you dont lose them.

Shoes get what you can afford. I like felt soles with studs. The studs really help on our muddy banks.

Dont forget a belt, most waders come with one, if yours didnt buy one at the store before you leave. Safety first. :)

Separate boots are also a lot more comfortable to walk in. You can spend $300 or $400 for waders but the extra money doesn't make them bullet proof. Thorns, barbed wire, or sticks will poke holes in the expensive ones just as easy as the more affordable ones. Just make sure they fit well. If they are too tight you'll stretch them at the seams (especially in the crotch area) which will make them leak.

I have various Hodgman waders, for several years now, and I haven't had any issues.

Boot foot neoprene hips, chest high neoprenes, breathable wade pants and breathable chest highs---they've performed flawlessly, and with NO leaks.

Good waders for the investment.

Hip boots for shallow wade streams, getting in an out of float craft, and walking thru muddy shoreline areas.

Wade pants are great for shallow water areas, fishing in the rain when wearing a rain jacket, and

chest highs for wading deeper waters.

Boot foot waders are the choice when only making short trips----getting in and out of waders quicker.

Wade shoes are a big plus, they give better ankle support for longer times on ones feet, and more comfortable.

Wade shoes with interchangeable soles are a great feature---changing to a sole for specific ground conditions.

Wades shoes with spikes are a big plus---entering, exiting and wading in muddy water areas. The spikes give added traction when climbing up and down embankments.

I try to avoid climbing thru or over barbed wire, to avoid the risk of punctures or tears.

The big box stores DO NOT make their own waders, they're made by others.

Several of Cabela and Bass Pro waders are manufactured by Hodgman.

I'd suggest buying the best waders you can afford, whatever brand you chose.

I had a pair of White River waders. they are adequete. I'm sure the Cabelas are fine too. I have Gore Tex Simms Lightweights now. They are okay. My next pair will probably be Orvis, only because on the sizing chart they are the only ones made that will fit (sort of) a skinny dude with size 12.5 feet. Most of the ones that I tried on would fit literally three more of me.

Boot foot are better for getting in and out of quick. Stocking foot have a better footing.

Felt w/studs work great in the Kank.

Korkers make killer boots.

One of the biggest differences you will find between the BPS econo-grade is the cut. Simms and the like are cut much nicer. Maybe the higher grade Cabelas are too. I haven't found the "degrees of breathability" for lck of a better term, to matter. In hot weather you will be sweating your arse off regardless of what kind you are wearing. Gore tex is breathable, but still hot, so you may have a quart of sweat inside those waders as apposed 2 quarts.

I am totally uncomforatale in waders in Summer so I wet wade. Though you probably don't want to go in any urban streams doing that and with all the devolpment going on around my beloved Kankakee, I'll probably get away with it for only a limited time.

I layer my clothes under waders in cool weather and am fine. Poly prop and polar fleece. They are very comforatable.

Regarding leaks. Neither my Simms nor my BPS ever had a leak.

The main thing I totally dislike about my Simms Lightweights is the fact that they don't have a built in belt and no built in gravel guards. I would never-ever-ever buy a pair of waders without them.

Simms are made in the USA. The higher end ones are REALLY nice. If you can afford them, consider you are supporting one of the few companies taht actually makes stuff here.

I have both breathable and neo's by hodgemen. I have not had any issues with them either, they have performed flawlessly for me as well. I would buy them again if I had to. I would love to have the top of the line breathables from SIMMS. but at around $700 I could buy alot of gear for that kind of money!

Joe

I have both breathable and neo's by hodgemen. I have not had any issues with them either, they have performed flawlessly for me as well. I would buy them again if I had to. I would love to have the top of the line breathables from SIMMS. but at around $700 I could buy alot of gear for that kind of money!

Joe

I hear yah.

That is some serious coin.

thats the kind of bucks that you spend on waders (and other high priced things :blink: ) when you are Governor of New York!

got mine at bass pro last year still wearing them :P:rolleyes:

put maney miles on them like all their not bullet or thorn or stick hook proof :blink:

get what you feel speend what youu would spend ;)

went to a out of the way sports store found a nice pair of wading boots $ 70 --$20 on sale :P:lol:

Definitely get breathable stocking foot waders. If you are fishing mostly in Illinois, lug soled wading boots will work fine.

Before you buy waders, you need to figure out what type of wading/fishing that you are going to be doing. If you plan on busting brush or climbing down embankments to get to out of the way fishing spots, you will be better suited with heavy duty waders designed for hard use. "Heavy Duty" waders will probably be made out of four or five ply material and will have reinforced knees, legs, and seat. If you don't plan on being hard on your waders, you can get buy with lighter, less expensive waters made with three ply material and less reinforcement. The lighter waders will breath better and be more comfortable in warmer weather than the heavier waders no matter which brand you buy. If you plan on fishing in colder weather, make sure that waders have enough room to wear some extra layers under the waders.

In my opinion, Simms makes the best waders in terms of fit and durability. They are are not cheap, but they last a long time and Simms backs up their waders with good service. I have a pair of Simms Guide waders that are nine years old and still going strong. I have had to seal up some pin holes, but the seams are still in good shape. I know people that have purchased store brand waders at the big box stores and have had good luck with the waders while other people have gone through several pairs of the same store brand waders before getting fed up and buying Simms or other higher end waders.

As other guys have said, fit is very important. If your waders are too short or too long, they will not last long. Try the waders on to make sure that they fit. If you go to a big box store, be pushy and pull the waders out of the box and try them on.

It is important to buy waders that are backed by the manufacturer and retailer as all waders will eventually leak. If you get unlucky and your waders leak sooner rather than later, you want to make sure that your waders will be quickly repaired or replaced under warranty.

I own 4 pair of waders and each has its place.Since high quality breathables are much more expensive,less durable and more leak prone I only wear them in warm weather.When air/water temps are in the 30s-40s I wear 5mm neoprenes,either stockingfoot($60 Cabelas) for wading/floatubing or bootfoot($120 Cabelas) for the really coldwater wading as they keep your feet warmer than stockingfoot.A leak is annoying anytime but in extreme cold it's a deal breaker.5mm neoprenes are not only less likely to leak they don't require the hassle of multi layering and waddling around like that little kid in A Christmas Story.I floatubed for trout at the club I belong to til mid January with air and water temps in the low 30s and ice along the shore for 5-6 hours each time out and was perfectly comfortable in the neoprenes with just light layering on my legs and a pair of neoprene booties on my feet. They also have handwarming pockets which came in handy.In cool weather I wear lightweight nonbreathables. They're comfortable then and again less expensive($49 Cabelas) and less likely to leak. Finally in the really hot weather nothing beats wet wading for staying cool, refreshed and less thirsty no matter how hot or humid.In the long run having at least 3 waders(the bootfoot neos being highly optional)will actually cost less than always wearing expensive,less durable breathables which would have to be replaced that much more often.There'll also be fewer leaks to deal with and backups when a leak does occur.All waders should be felt soled as most rivers have slippery spots at times to one degree or another.I prefer studded felt soles.They give max traction and greatly extend the life of the felt soles as well.