ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS

jude

We've had a very successful show season, so I'm hoping there are a lot of new members getting familiar with the forum. I'm starting this thread to serve as a spot for introductions. We want to hear who you are, where you live, where you fish, etc., etc. etc.! We know you're lurking, so now's the time to break the ice.

Not only do I want the new guys to chime in, but I think it would be helpful for the old salts to say hi as well. I'll start:

My name is Jude Torre, co-coordinator (no, I'm not stuttering) of the NW Region. I live in Cherry Valley (just S.E. of Rockford), and my home water is the Kishwaukee. My other home water is the Apple. I'm a topwater junkie with either the spinning or the fly gear. Usually, when wading I use the fly rod, but I'm still learning. That's why I use spinning gear when I'm in one of my kayaks. I usually fish two or three times a week between April and October, pretty much always for stream smallies.

I'm married with two teen-aged daughters and two labs.

There...that was easy. Now it's your turn. Welcome aboard!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had a very successful show season, so I'm hoping there are a lot of new members getting familiar with the forum. I'm starting this thread to serve as a spot for introductions. We want to hear who you are, where you live, where you fish, etc., etc. etc.! We know you're lurking, so now's the time to break the ice.

Not only do I want the new guys to chime in, but I think it would be helpful for the old salts to say hi as well. I'll start:

My name is Jude Torre, co-coordinator (no, I'm not stuttering) of the NW Region. I live in Cherry Valley (just S.E. of Rockford), and my home water is the Kishwaukee. My other home water is the Apple. I'm a topwater junkie with either the spinning or the fly gear. Usually, when wading I use the fly rod, but I'm still learning. That's why I use spinning gear when I'm in one of my kayaks. I usually fish two or three times a week between April and October, pretty much always for stream smallies.

I'm married with two teen-aged daughters and two labs.

There...that was easy. Now it's your turn. Welcome aboard!

Hi, I'm Dick Dragiewicz a new member of ISA. After reading Jude's note requesting introductions I felt I should do this now, because at the Bronzeback Blowout I won (actually bought) Jude's offer to take someone kayak fishing on the Kishwakee River. Recently I started thinking that I should investigate the pros and cons of fishing from a kayak/canoe. This trip is my opportunity to see what its really like. I've been fly fishing for a long time for trout/steelhead. Several years ago I was introduced to river bass fishing with a fly rod. Am beginning to think that I should give up the trout fishing and just focus on bass. Most of my bass fishing has been on Wisconsin rivers. Am getting anxious to fish the Kishwaukee with Jude. Now we just need the snow to melt, the rives to open up and the bass to start feeding.

Hey Dick! Nice to hear from you. I'll be keeping an eye on the river levels and shoot you a PM when things are looking good. I'm chomping at the bit!

Nobody special , just a guy who wades and fishes 200 to 250 days a year , also known as Creekyknees on other forums .

Starting to turn into a crotchety old fart like Gary L . :rolleyes:

Hi, I am a new member ISA. My name is Josh Sherwood, I live in Champaign and I am currently working on my degree at the U of I for Fish and Wildlife Conservation. I also work for the Illinois Natural History Survey, mainly on largemouth stuff but I plan on working on a stream sampling team some this summer. My home town is Hartsburg, between Peoria, Bloomington and Springfield. I like to fish the creek systems around home and even venture up to Powerton every now and again. Hope to get more involved.

Josh

I am a mellow fellow Norm and not crabby at all. Welcome to the ISA Dick. You will meet some fine folks here and some great fisherman. If you head for the Kankakee be sure to hook up with the Master of the Kankakee Norm Minas. He looks like Jerry Garcia from the Gratefull Dead so don't let that frighten you.

NormMKKKSmallie.jpg

I am a mellow fellow Norm and not crabby at all. Welcome to the ISA Dick. You will meet some fine folks here and some great fisherman. If you head for the Kankakee be sure to hook up with the Master of the Kankakee Norm Minas. He looks like Jerry Garcia from the Gratefull Dead so don't let that frighten you.

NormMKKKSmallie.jpg

One of my nephews used to follow the Grateful Dead around on their concert tours. Wonder if he'd like to meet Norm also? I'll look for Norm on the Kankakee. Dick.

Dick ,

I was on the bus so it's possible . I must admit I paid more attention to the women though .

If you see me on the river , slosh on over and introduce yourself .

Ken ,

I set records for the least amount of overtime worked . 8 years , 11 months to retire .

I would work less but who would pay for my fishing ? Contributions gratefully accepted .

Hey, Neighbor (Mr. Dragiewicz, this is) . . . you've made a great decision by moving from "walking your dog" along my corner lot to "walking a dog" in search of bass. Welcome to the ISA!

Once you get your feet wet paddlin' with Jude on the Kish (I hope that's all you get wet), let me know . . . you can try your luck once again fishing from my 17' canoe. Then again, let me know when you and Jude schedule your outing on the Kish. Perhaps I'll invite another smallie colleague to join me and we'll make it a foursome . . . subject to Jude's approval, of course!

Now . . . to reinforce Norm Minas' claim that there are also big bass in the Kankakee River just waiting for a hookup, check out this 17-incher that I caught on a spinnerbait on my first cast of last year while fishing with the ISA group during our April outing.

Hey, Norm . . . if you want to float fish the KKK in my canoe sometime when it's warmer, let me know. It's equipped with sponses for added stability + a Minnkota trolling motor to allow us to make a run upriver and float fish coming back down to our cars. Otherwise, wading is also an option.

Steve (aka "The Paddlin' Man)

Welcome to the ISA guys!

Good thing Norm and I fish differents rivers. With all the fishing we do the smallies wouldn't stand a chance if we fished the same one.

It's also a good thing that Phil lives in Champaign and Gary in Misery , I mean Missouri .

Hi, I am Ron Grand, a new member from Palatine, and am looking for other members in my area. I fish both spinning and fly, depending on conditions and what the fish tell me, though my hearing is not that good. I have a 16 ft canoe, so that is another option. As a new member I also have a number of questions: Please bear with me.

Would most members in my area belong to the NW group or the Chicagoland group?

The outing on March 30th in DeKalb: which McDonalds are we meeting at? There are two on rt. 38.

Are there any members out there with experience and info on Lake Geneva? I've kayaked there, but intend to fish it this summer from canoe. Any tips?

I would appreciate any info on fishing Pere Marquette, Muskegon, and St. Joe rivers in Michigan.

How do I contact Rich McElligott?

Why am I blocked from replying on certain forums?

I guess that's enough ( or more than enough) for now.

Thanks, Ron

Welcome to the site, Ron. I can help you with the last couple questions. You can send a private message or PM (same thing) to Rich by looking up at the upper right where it says Members. Type in rich mc and you'll see a box with Rich's name in it. Bring your mouse cursor over towards his name and click on the arrow that appears next to his name and you'll see a dropdown menu. Click on send message. The message window will appear with his name already there. Make sure you add a message title, and type the content in the box below. When you're done hit the Send Message button. Sounds like a lot of work, but it's pretty easy.

The only forums that you can't reply to are the Event forums. Those are used by board members to announce events in their areas. Usually you'll find the same info in the Open Discussion Forum or the specific Regions Fishing Reports Forum.

As far as which region goes, most of the guys from Palatine fish in the Chicagoland region. The NW is more like the Rockford area. This doesn't mean that you can only fish in your region though. Most events are open to all members who want to make the trek.

• 10 months later...

Hey, Norm . . . since Don revived the old thread, let me update you. Last March when I offered to float fish KKK with you, I was gainfully employed. Now I'm gainfully unemployed. So Tuesdays and Wednesday on warm days should now be open . . . unless I land another job before it warms up. Having forgotten my offer . . . so let's connect at the Bronzeback Blowout.

BRONZEBACK BLOWOUT, DID I SAY!?! All you new members should definitely make a point of attending our special event on Saturday, March 7th. Great opportunity to meet a lot of great ISA members, dine 'til it hurts, learn more about smallmouth bass fishin' from a couple speakers, and partake in the innumerable raffles and auctions. An absolute blast with most of our related fundraising proceeds devoted to our many ISA conservation initiatives.

Word Up, the Blowout is a great way to meet us. Conservation events are a way to do some good, meet some folks and usually wet a line, watch the calendar for them as well.

Don't be shy about introducing yourself here either.

Steve, we'll get together and do the canoe thing with the outriggers. I'm still offering up prayers for you and all the others to find gainful employment.

Even if ISA's professionally run Bronzeback Blowout didn't have terrific, informative speakers, cool presentations, awesome raffle prizes, expert fly tying demos, and guided trips.

There is still the simple fact, a large gathering of frothing enthusiasts for the sport of smallmouth bass fishing in one large room for 6 hours. Throw in good food and beer and you can't help be entertained or learn via osmosis.

In lean times, it's events like the ISA Blowout right near your home that do a great job filling in for trips to Canada and Florida.

Hey, it goes to help the fish we love.

hey guys, I signed up this past saturday at your booth in the outdoor show. looking forward to fishing with some of you in the future. as far as myself. i live in schaumburg and fish the shores of dupage county forest preserves as well as the fox chain. and if im lucky i'll head up to wisconsin for some smallie action. hopefully I won't have to do a lot of that with you guys ;) . i'm a catch picture release kinda guy. I wont pick out fish to eat in our inland waters. and if i have a craving i'll just go to the local store for a nice fillet :D

can't wait for ice out and to meet some of you personally.

tight lines, al v

Hi All,

I joined at the show on Thursday. I also live in Schaumburg and shore fish mostly in Dupage County, although I have a decent knowledge of Shabbona and the State Park area of the Kankakee by boat. During the summer I fish 3-4 times a week and sometimes twice a day on the weekends. I have fished for LM with live bait most of my life but was introduced to wading by a friend late last fall in a small creek, I caught 3 crappie over 13" and had an absolute blast! Besides the fish, it was just a wonderful way to spend an afternoon away from everything and I can't wait to get back out there. I came across the SM Alliance while searching for wading spots on the internet and stopped by the booth at the show. The two gentleman(I believe one of their names was Tim, although he was wearing Don's name badge) were friendly, enthusiastic and seemed very passionate about what the alliance does so I decided give it a try. So far you guys have not dissapointed as Rich MC has agreed to let me tag along on Saturday and show me the ropes of ice fishing out at Shabbona. I plan on attending the Blowout and look forward to getting out for some outtings.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

I'm usually a catch and release guy, but I did let my buddy keep the last 2 crappie I caught...only 2 fish we kept all year.