Catching the same fish over and over again.

John Gillio

B14A42E9-6D20-46CC-ADC4-2E1BEBD63CFF.thumb.png.ce2ad4b4dccf05b8e8dcd19ac42f7eba.png13D1848D-7AAA-46C2-A60F-9E606396F796.thumb.png.8872cd3461dd2496a41fc9f78fdd5ffc.png

The first fish shown was caught on Sept 19, 2022. It was approximately 42”. The second was caught in exactly the same place on Sept 20, 2023. It was approximately 45”. I believe they are the same fish. Both have a grainy looking pattern on the skin and both have the same shaped white mark on their heads between their barbels. What are your thoughts on the matter? I have had many instances similar to this with other fish species, seeming to catch the same memorable fish over and over again from the same spot or area over the course of days, weeks, or years. Anyone have some good stories of instances like this? or maybe the same fish miles away from where it was caught before?

There was a one-eyed smallmouth that was caught several times by me and at least 2 other anglers that I know of from the same spot on the DuPage. I once caught the same small northern pike 3 times on 3 consecutive casts. I was on a remote lake in Canada walking the bank between two lakes. I stopped to fish a pool below a small waterfall and caught the little pike. When I released him, he stayed in the clear water right at my feet. I made a second cast to the pool. When my lure was coming back, I saw the pike shoot out and grab the lure again. After he did it a third time, I left the obviously starving little guy to find other fish to harass. 

Looks like the same fish to me, especially with that spot on its head.

The only time I feel like I've hooked the same fish is due the way it immediately swam over to the rocks to try to dislodge the hook(s). One for three on this fish.

On 9/24/2023 at 1:39 PM, Scott Ferguson said:

There was a one-eyed smallmouth that was caught several times by me and at least 2 other anglers that I know of from the same spot on the DuPage. I once caught the same small northern pike 3 times on 3 consecutive casts. I was on a remote lake in Canada walking the bank between two lakes. I stopped to fish a pool below a small waterfall and caught the little pike. When I released him, he stayed in the clear water right at my feet. I made a second cast to the pool. When my lure was coming back, I saw the pike shoot out and grab the lure again. After he did it a third time, I left the obviously starving little guy to find other fish to harass. 

That pike is definitely a slow learner. Or as you said, he was starving.

5 hours ago, Kev-mo said:

Looks like the same fish to me, especially with that spot on its head.

The only time I feel like I've hooked the same fish is due the way it immediately swam over to the rocks to try to dislodge the hook(s). One for three on this fish.

I’ve had that happen too, and wondered if it was the same fish. 

On 10/2/2023 at 10:41 PM, Joe R said:

The fish looks the same but the fisherman looks different. 2 different guys.

I caught a smallie on a crankbait,  2 minutes later I caught it again. It had a couple weird black blotches on it so it was a for sure thing. Crazy.

You are right, the fish looks the same, but I’m getting much better looking. 😂.

Interesting fish tale. Another slow learner. The only time I have noticed anything like that is when I kept having a fish hit and miss my lure cast after cast. I finally hooked it. It was a 36” long, skinny as a rail, pike. Its upper jaw was missing from right in front of the eyes forward. It had healed over. I figured it had been lopped off  by a boat prop.

29 minutes ago, Terry Dodge said:

I must ask how you hooked it?

On one side there was about a half inch of the  bone in  the upper corner of the mouth protruding out enough that after hitting the Mepps in-line spinner  time and time again after a number of casts it caught in the corner enough to hook him.