Carp Flies

Frank Briggs

When they are tailing, I have had luck with a size 8-10 black marabou leach tied with a black pull chain dumbbell head. Black rubber legs help. I have had them on other dark colored nymphs too, as well as small crayfish patterns. The trick is to time it so it moves near the carps head as it is feeding.  Hits are often hard to detect so a soft hook set if you see the fish turn its head often works and it doesn’t pull the fly to far away so the fish may strike again.

• 1 month later...

I've used a lot of different flies to catch carp, often when I'm not targeting them but I have more confidence in Clouser's Swimming nymph and/or a small woolly bugger than anything else.  This below is the one I often start out with as it mimics a small crayfish or swimming nymph.  I also like the upward hook orientation as I think it's maybe better at grabbing that fleshy upper lip. 

aaa.jpg

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

I've used a lot of different flies to catch carp, often when I'm not targeting them but I have more confidence in Clouser's Swimming nymph and/or a small woolly bugger than anything else.  This below is the one I often start out with as it mimics a small crayfish or swimming nymph.  I also like the upward hook orientation as I think it's maybe better at grabbing that fleshy upper lip. 

aaa.jpg

Oh Rob!  That looks like a good one. What size hook do you prefer for that one?

3 hours ago, John Gillio said:

Oh Rob!  That looks like a good one. What size hook do you prefer for that one?

John, as with many of my carp flies, tied on a Mustad 3366 size 6.  As you know, a cheap hook but plenty strong, unfortunately they often come with a poor point.  I always spend some time with my files making sure it is wicked sharp before it goes into my fly box. 

5 hours ago, Rob G said:

John, as with many of my carp flies, tied on a Mustad 3366 size 6.  As you know, a cheap hook but plenty strong, unfortunately they often come with a poor point.  I always spend some time with my files making sure it is wicked sharp before it goes into my fly box. 

👍