Waders and vests

paullampier

Hey Paul,

The wader question pops up a lot, I would try a forum search if you wanted to pull up some old threads with lots of detail. The general consensus is usually buying a set of stocking-foot breathable waders that give you some room to move and layer up for the colder months. Lots of good moderately priced options out there, just make sure you're buying from a brand that has a good warranty. I was thinking about getting the Orvis encounters for my next set.

Can't help you on vests, I'm more of a pack guy myself. currently hoping to find the right sling.

I usually try to travel light too. I like a small pack. However, when I am going to be out for a long stretch of time I do like a vest. In my old age I need to rehydrate more often than I had to in the past. I also always have a pocket camera with me. The vest along with a small pack allows me to carry the liquids, lunch, and some fishing gear while making gear easy to reach and balancing the little weight there is, so I don't get sore. For reasons such as this I have a lightweight mesh vest with some larger pockets that can easily hold a couple bottles of water or gatorade and something to snack on.

Sign up for deal flyer with Sierra Trading Post and you can monitor them for deals on higher end and lower end waders. A decent low cost brand is Allen if you look they actually have decent buyer reviews. You have less options on sizes with Allen brand but I like the couple that I bought. I brought some breathable stockingfoot waders for $50 dollars and beat the heck out of them with long shoreline bushwhacking. I bought another pair that had a bunch more with extra oversized pockets for little over 100 dollars and those have been used also and no issues.

It depends what's considered a long stretch of time. If you arrive on a full stomach you should be able go for 6 or 7 hrs w/o eating anything more than a candy bar or 2 for an energy boost if needed.Water can be carried with a hip flask.I carry mine in a flask attached to a strap that goes around my shoulders unless I carhop from place-place which I do on most outtings.