Talked With Paul T

Terry Dodge

I Talked With Paul T. today on the telly-phone, and he said......

"Now that the polar vortex has moved into the area, smallmouth fishing is done for the year."

Just thought some of you might like to know so you can get on with your holiday shopping,

family events, watching football (Da Bears don't count), fly tying and cookie baking, and other such things.

Jude - You may commence your knitting.

Keep warm Everyone.

Knock yourselves out guys. The water temp gage on the Rock in Byron reads a crisp 36 degrees. The air temp isn't going to even get above freezing until next Saturday. River bass fishing is over for me. I think there are still opportunities for pike, walleye , trout and you can try that ice fishing thing pretty soon. I will patiently wait for 45 degree water temps for my pursuit for river bronze.

Shoot I took Dale Bowman from the Sun Times out some years back, got him a smallmouth on a crankbait in 33 degree water.

Myself, Phil, Kamala, Josh McDermott, Butch Ward [rest his soul] are among those that would disagree with it being over in low 30 water temps .

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor ?

Supposed to warm up and possibly rain some this weekend. Almost 50 on Sunday if the forecast holds... I would think that should get some fish of the smallmouth variety biting on any of the regions rivers provided conditions don't go to the extreme of too much rain etc.

Shoot I took Dale Bowman from the Sun Times out some years back, got him a smallmouth on a crankbait in 33 degree water.

Myself, Phil, Kamala, Josh McDermott, Butch Ward [rest his soul] are among those that would disagree with it being over in low 30 water temps .

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor ?

I'm pretty sure Japan bombed pearl harbor and then it was pretty much over after we dropped some nukes on them. I'm also pretty sure the smallmouth won't bite in the NW region when the water drops down to 33 degrees. Anything is possible and every river system is different but I am going to spend my time on other persuits. I would love to see some pictures of smallmouth with snow in the background or ice chunks floating down the river. I have some in my archive but they are from powerton lake or other warmer water discharge area.