Intro

Joe Kallo

Hi all,

I joined the ISA a few days ago after catching my first smallmouth about three weeks ago on my first trip to the K3. Since then, I think I've been back 6 times. If I could go right this minute instead of sitting here at my desk, I would.

I moved to Chicago from southern IL 7 years ago and basically stopped fishing for the first time in my life (I'm 39 and have been fishing since I could walk, ffing since I was 10 or so). A new job, the big city etc all combined to keep me occupied doing other things. A few months back I made a trip out west, caught a bunch of big trout, and remembered that fishing is good. I proceeded to explore fishing options for someone living in the city. I started with trout and made some trips up to WI. The 3 hour drives up and the 4+ hour drives back make those waters the occasional treat, though. Then I remembered reading about the Kankakee years ago. Someone told me then how much fun SMs were, but I never got around to making the 4 hour drive up to fish it. I wish I had, because I probably wouldn't have stopped fishing when I moved up here.

Smallmouth bass have to be the most fun fish per inch I've ever caught. And maybe more importantly, from what I've learned they live in waters that are usually in places where I want to spend long periods of time unwinding -- something I've always depended solely on trout to lead me to.

Looking forward to chatting and fishing. Thanks for being a source of collective wisdom about these awesome fish.

Joe

Hi Joe. That was a great introduction. K3 is only the beginning. I am glad it got you back to fishing.

The Second City is a big area for a 10-20. So if you can nail it down more specifically, we can probably help you have more fun.

Welcome to membership in a great group...

The Second City is a big area for a 10-20. So if you can nail it down more specifically, we can probably help you have more fun.

Good point Mike, and any help is deeply appreciated. I live and work in Hyde Park, so basically anything south of the city is ideal for me. K3 state park is about 50 miles from my door and the route rarely has any traffic. Momence is a few miles closer, and the drive is slower but a little more scenic (a couple of the towns along the way have some interesting looking taverns that might be ideal for post-fish brews).

Welcome. As you stated, going south might be easier, but don't forget about the dupage and the fox. I know the traffic can be brutal going west and back, but worth it. Also, you've got some great smallmouth waters right there on the big lake, and the big lake carp could be a blast on any gear. A couple guys on here have way more experience than me on that, hopefully they could chime in. Ryan

Hi all,

I joined the ISA a few days ago after catching my first smallmouth about three weeks ago on my first trip to the K3. Since then, I think I've been back 6 times. If I could go right this minute instead of sitting here at my desk, I would.

I moved to Chicago from southern IL 7 years ago and basically stopped fishing for the first time in my life (I'm 39 and have been fishing since I could walk, ffing since I was 10 or so). A new job, the big city etc all combined to keep me occupied doing other things. A few months back I made a trip out west, caught a bunch of big trout, and remembered that fishing is good. I proceeded to explore fishing options for someone living in the city. I started with trout and made some trips up to WI. The 3 hour drives up and the 4+ hour drives back make those waters the occasional treat, though. Then I remembered reading about the Kankakee years ago. Someone told me then how much fun SMs were, but I never got around to making the 4 hour drive up to fish it. I wish I had, because I probably wouldn't have stopped fishing when I moved up here.

Smallmouth bass have to be the most fun fish per inch I've ever caught. And maybe more importantly, from what I've learned they live in waters that are usually in places where I want to spend long periods of time unwinding -- something I've always depended solely on trout to lead me to.

Looking forward to chatting and fishing. Thanks for being a source of collective wisdom about these awesome fish.

Joe

get with Capt Austin Aducci for the big pond and the K3

also if you see an ugly old dude with grey/white hair, beard and stache while out wading the K3 say howdy. generally in waders and a beat up ball cap. did get a purty new yella cap lately