yow !

gordon p

This should really flush out the algae. Hopefully the levels will get back to normal in time for a good spawn.

I think its flushing a lot of basements out as well. Poor homeowners.

Had to drive over the West Branch twice today; once going to work and once trying to make it back home. I haven't seen it this high since 2008 though still not as bad as the Naperville flood back in '96.

More rain coming, its gonna be bad.

They are predicting near record levels at the mouth of the Fox, and on the Illinois R. at Starved Rock. The park is under water for the second time this year. A lake has appeared, for the first time in my memory, on the lot between my house and the neighbor's. I'm keeping a close watch on the basement, as I am home because of a rainout. This is the first time in my 35 years on the job that I couldn't make it in because of flooding.

I got a new sump pump installed last year (of course, drought!) and new battery for my secondary battery-backup pump. Everything is working fine but I'm still nervous. The main pump is running pretty much non-stop with only a few seconds between on/off. The kids are home just in case I need some extra help if we need to move things from the basement to the first floor. So far, so good.

I went to Home Depot at 7:15 this morning to buy some downspout extenders to get the runoff a little further away from the house. The parking lot was packed like it was a spring Saturday during a plant sale. Of course everyone buying up the sump pumps, batteries, generators, etc. Pretty much any isle that had to do with plumbing was jammed. I was lucky in that I got four downspout extenders but they too were going fast. Lots of people panicked and on their cell phones and trying to find a solution to their flooding basements. Sucks.

Have also been marveling at the USGS gage readings all day. Just crazy. Norm is probably fishing a flooded farm field somewhere or working an eddy behind a mailbox.

Many moons ago I was a boy scout. I still live by the boy scout motto "be prepared". I cannot comprehend waiting untill there is a flood to worry about whether or not I have what I need.

It never fails to amaze me when people run to a hardware store to buy a snow shovel during a snow storm.DUH this is Chicago,it WILL snow.

Be Prepared

Well that didn't quite work but here is a photo (I hope).

Saw a bullhead and some sunfish scurrying over the bike path. I waited for a smallie to show but apparently they didn't know it was an ISA media event.

post-66-0-99153800-1366311238_thumb.jpg

Well that didn't quite work but here is a photo (I hope).

Saw a bullhead and some sunfish scurrying over the bike path.

A few years ago when the Ole Miss was flooded, I was on a bicycle tour down in southern IL and came upon all these enormous carp and buffalo swimming in all these people's front yards and around their front porches. Quite the sight. But of course these people were prepared because they had a small jon boat tied to the front porch so they could row over to their cars parked a couple hundred yards away upon the hillside.

Fox in St. Charles today. Highest / hardest I've ever seen the Fox rage:

1.jpg

Sandbags protecting the Herrington Inn, Geneva near Route 38.

2.jpg

The newly renovated Island Park, Geneva

3.jpg

4.jpg

The old (vacant) Mill Race Inn Restaurant, Geneva -- basement flooded out again!

5.jpg

The Herrington Inn, Geneva as seen from Route 38

6.jpg

Parking lot and Illinois Street bridge, downtown St. Charles

7.jpg

Foot bridge near downtown St. Charles, a few blocks down river from the dam

Quite a flow up that way. That mess combining with a fast rising Illinois river has closed the Main Street Bridge in Ottawa and has breached the dike protecting the Ottawa High School. Utica is underwater again too. Most likely the worst flooding they have seen. Thanks for sharing the shots and video.

LaSalle, Bureau, and Putnam counties all declared a national disaster area. The Vermilion peaked at 30 ft. and 40,000 cfs at Leonore. It's average depth and flow at this rainy time of year is 5 ft. and 1000 cfs. Things are pretty messed up around here. The Illinois is still rising. I'm lucky to live and work on higher ground. I've never seen it this bad before. To add to the crazy weather, it is now snowing and the grass needs to be cut. When I woke up Wed. morning I looked out the window only to see that a lake had formed in the lot between my house and the neighbor's. I freaked out and ran downstairs to see if the basement was flooded. I was amazed that I was able to keep the seepage contained to a small area. I'm a lucky duck I guess. It's sad to see all the homes and businesses under water in so many nearby towns and villages.

Guest rich mc

i drove by the mcdowell woods on the dupage west branch monday and saw alot of neat new rock structures drove by there today and the portapot is nowhere to be found.parking lot is under 8ft of water and the top 3ft of the picnic shelter roof is showing. rich mc