Camera advice

jude

I'm sure this has been covered before, but what the heck. It's winter. I'm considering a waterproof camera so I can take a picture if I ever catch a decent fish. Hey...stranger things have happened. Any suggestions?

First question to be asked with any gear advice question is always: what is your budget?

A couple years ago I ended up with a Kodak Playsport waterproof camera as a gift. While it stood up to the elements, including long periods soaking in saltwater, it's primary intended use (by Kodak) was a 1080p HD movie camera, although it had point-and-shoot stills capability at 5mp. Let me tell you DO NOT buy this one unless your budget will not allow anything over $60 (and I hope, if you're asking this question, that it is). The stills are blurry in all but the most ideal lighting conditions and even then they aren't as crisp as other cams. But again, the stills capability is an afterthought on this movie camera. I am crossing my fingers that this camera gets replaced on Christmas morning.

Okay, I got that out of my system. The cameras I put on my list as good waterproof replacements for the Kodak are the Olympus TG-1 (this thing is really amazing), and Canon Powershot D10 (which Tom L uses, FYI if you want to ask him Qs about it). Canon came out with a D20 to replace the D10, but they took some of the good photo elements out in order to make a stills+HD video all-in-one. The trouble is that you will rarely be happy with a video from a handheld point&shoot--mostly because they are hard to keep still. Better to have a camera good at taking stills, and save up for a GoPro with some mounting device for movies. All-in-one devices have to make sacrifices somewhere.

Olympus TG-1 in-depth look:

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/olympus-tg-1-1086923/review

Canon D10 review:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_powershot_d10_review/

Canon D10 & D20 comparison:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-D20-vs-Canon_PowerShot_D10

Someone mentioned Pentax. Here's a good review of the Optio WG-2 GPS

http://www.pluggedin.co.uk/article/pentax-optio-wg-2-gps-compact-digital-camera-expert-review

Beat $14! That's a waterproof 27 exp 35 mm Fujifilm disposable. You did not say you wanted digital.

I have been using a Fuji XP digital outdoor model (waterproof, shockproof, dustproof) for a few years. Original cost about $150. (Prices varied depending on the color of the case. Ain't that amazin'. BTW a brighter colored case is easier to find though real men would get black.) Only thing I regret is not getting a model with a viewfinder. The view screen is hard to work with in bright sun. Also read the fine print. My manufacturer recommends replacing the waterproof seal every year. Not a problem for me since I keep it out of the water anyway.

Ask yourself, what would Eric do?

My daughter wanted my camera for college so I got a new one in aug I am happy with. I looked at numerous reviews and this one came up high in all. I wanted one I didn't have to keep in a waterproof bag and I wanted to try and fool with underwater shots.

Panasonic lumix

I have been happy with it. Pretty strange to put a camera underwater

Jude,

You're not much of a camera person so I would start off cheap and work up as your picture taking techniques advance.

Something like this is good to start out with.....http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382901,00.asp

I would also look into getting something like this for your wade only days. This can be ordered with a steel spike on the bottom end and a camera mount bolt on the top end. Of course you can always put a mount on your yak.

http://www.brazos-walking-sticks.com/free-form-hickory-walking-stick/

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. (You too, Terry.) That Olympus looks awesome, but might be a little steep, unless I can find it at a nice discount. I was figuring I'd be spending at least 200, but didn't expect 400. The Canon looks like a good option too, but dang that thing's ugly. I know that should not be a factor, but it looks like they borrowed a design team from Fisher-Price.

I really don't plan on using the video too much, so the reviews that put a lot of weight there have to be analyzed a little closer. Same with GPS.

I've just looked at reviews for all the ones you guys have mentioned as well as a bunch of others. My head is about to explode.

For sure shop around, good prices to be had. Just for example below. There will always be better out there and it seems as soon as you buy something, it's outdated! The fun world of electronics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENTAX-OPTIO-WG-1-Black-14-MP-5X-Optical-Zoom-Waterproof-Shockproof-28mm-Wi-/300832630087?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item460b05a547

Another happy Canon D10 owner. My kids bought me one last Christmas and so I've now used it for a full year. I can attest to it being quite waterproof seeing how I dropped it in a stream 4 1/2 ft. deep and it had to remain on the bottom for almost 10 minutes before I could retrieve it. After that incident, I now keep the little yellow foam thing attached so it won't sink.

Edit: Oh and one other feature that should be very important to you seeing how you fish with Terry and that is the D10 has a really easy Macro mode which will work well when photographing Terry's catch. :lol:

I've got the Pentax Optio that I've had for a couple of years that I've been happy with. A good accessory to have is a Gear Keeper retractor. Even if the camera is water proof, you don't want to drop it in deep water or fast current where it gets away from you. These retractors are heavy duty, if you drop the camera, it comes right back to you. I have one for my multi-tool also. ($12-$25 depending on the strength)

ac74tz.jpg

ac74tz.jpg

Yea Scott, makes sense but where's the fun in that. I mean, wouldn't you rather have to remove your clothes and waders and slip back out into the stream in fricken cold early Spring Wisconsin waters (from a cold spring mind you) and then have to go in over your head to pick your camera off the bottom? Now that is sport, you vs. hypothermia.

Umm.....Where can I get one of those things?