favorite bass hook?

mikea

Sorry Mike, not stainless, but my fav for bass flies are Gama's B10S hooks. I use them on my poppers, muddlers, craws, just about all my bass flies. Ryan

Decent price too for 25 hooks, compared to some, and sharp. Their may be better prices out there, just showing the hook....

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p-4717-gamakatsu-b10s-stinger-hook.aspx

Mike,

when I require stainless, this is what I like in a size 4, occasionally a 2 or 6. I like the longer shank for many of my bass flies. I do generally open the gap slightly with optical pliers. Fairly reasonable for a stainless hook.

http://www.mudhole.com/Fly-Tying/Fly-Tying-Hooks/Mustad-S74SZ-34011-Streamer

and this same hook in shorter shank: MUSTAD S71SNP-SS (34007)

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Mustad-Signature-Series-S71SNPZS34007-Saltwater-Hook?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=CNbKp5f08rwCFe87MgodZiIAPQ

That makes me feel bad because I was just switching over to 3366s since I can't get my favorite Herter's 993Rs anymore. I like Rob's choice even though it costs 6 times as much as the 3366. Before you make your final decision, remember the hook-hour formula.

H = 10/C

Where:

H is the number of hours you cast the fly before loosing it on a tree or snag.

C is the cost of the hook in cents.

Solving for the 3366, I get Hours = 10/7 or around 85 minutes. That is my benchmark.

If that makes you think, here's a nice nickel plated number that costs about the same as the 3366 available in sizes 1-6 from netcraft.

SpinnerBaithook455r.jpg

It has that cool look, right? It is a Mustad; so you don't have to hang your head about using brand X. Of course there's a number 455. I'm going to get some.

I like Rob's choice even though it costs 6 times as much as the 3366.

Mike,

you can get a box of 25 stainless for $5.35, so where can I get a box of 150 3366's for that amount? Let me know your source so I can stock up since I'm using those for my articulated flies where I often end up cutting one off anyway.

Mike,

you can get a box of 25 stainless for $5.35, so where can I get a box of 150 3366's for that amount? Let me know your source so I can stock up since I'm using those for my articulated flies where I often end up cutting one off anyway.

You got me Rob. I confused your 1/2 hour hook with Ryan's 1/4 hour Gami. If you are cutting the point off, why even use the Mustad? We can get you some 3 hour hooks.

Do we have the makings of a hook swap here? Just like a fly swap without having to tie stuff on the hook. It is a good way to get a look at all the hardware that's out there.

I've always thought we should have a dinner and a fly tying gathering somewhere and then also have a materials swap........ buy, sell, trade extra materials you might have that you want to get rid off. Like when the weather breaks and I don't have to worry about another 4 1/2 hour drive home on ice. Just an idea anyway.

Btw, could someone tell me if Mustads BLN nickle finish is any more corrosion resistant than their standard hooks, Joseph from One More Cast relayed to me that he really liked Mustad's c52s stinger deer hook for many bass patterns.

http://www.johnnyspond.com/mustad--c52s-bln-stinger--deer-hair-hooks.html

I do not tie nearly as much as the others, but for what it is worth, my bass flies are tied mainly on the Mustad 3366 or the C52 Stinger deer hair hooks. The Gammy B10-S is a great hook that I have used, though it is expensive. A friend I tie for on occasion would like all his bass flies tied on the B10-S. I like the Dai Riki hooks too.

That makes me feel bad because I was just switching over to 3366s since I can't get my favorite Herter's 993Rs anymore. I like Rob's choice even though it costs 6 times as much as the 3366. Before you make your final decision, remember the hook-hour formula.

H = 10/C

Where:

H is the number of hours you cast the fly before loosing it on a tree or snag.

C is the cost of the hook in cents.

Solving for the 3366, I get Hours = 10/7 or around 85 minutes. That is my benchmark.

If that makes you think, here's a nice nickel plated number that costs about the same as the 3366 available in sizes 1-6 from netcraft.

SpinnerBaithook455r.jpg

It has that cool look, right? It is a Mustad; so you don't have to hang your head about using brand X. Of course there's a number 455. I'm going to get some.

I have to print a retraction due to circumstances beyond our control. The 455 is a Eagle Claw even though Netcraft listed it with their Mustads. Bad Janns.

On the brighter side, I got a package of # 2s yesterday, and the real ones look as good as the picture. Nice and sharp right out of the pack.

Guest rich mc

upon rereading the title post favorite bass hooks change with the type of fly . bass poppers hooks differ from streamer hooks, worm hooks and 60 degree bend hooks all have their place . are kink shank hooks better than stinger hooks for poppers? rich mc

Rich, I have always tied poppers on the 3366.... I use Super Glue Gel and have not had an issue with them slipping. I think the key is to get the cut on the foam deep enough so you can get enough glue inside there to make a good connection. The other important part is a good thread base. Without that foundation, nothing will stick...

-Forrest

Lately, I've been tying articulated & shank flies and just ordered supplies for tube flies.. I've been using Gamie's Octopus hooks as stinger hooks on some. I'll show them off soon.

Cool Tom. Let us know how the tube flies go. And post some pics. I've been want to tie some up. I like the options it gives you especially being able to use shorter hooks. The shorter the hook shank the less leverage the fish has to throw it.