Photos from the Blowout

Illinois Smallmouth Alliance is having our annual fundraiser, The Bronzeback Blowout on Saturday, March 1 at the American Legion Hall in Elmhurst, IL. This year, our guest speaker is Dan Basore who in addition to being one of the premier antique lure experts, he was also one of the original B.A.S.S. members and was recruited by Ray Scott to fish some of the first professional tournaments. He is going to tell stories about those early days on the tournament trail and fishing with the legends of the sport. Also Denny Sands will be speaking about Lake Shabbona. In addition to the guest speakers, we'll have lots of raffle prizes that can be won for just a $1 ticket, dozens of silent auction prizes like guided trips, week long vacations, and smallmouth artwork. Dinner is included along with a couple of other surprises.

Everybody needs a cure for cabin fever and this is it. Spend an evening with a couple of hundred other smallmouth fanatics all for the bargain price of $30. Tickets MUST be purchased in advance. Click on this link and it will take you to the place to buy your ticket.

http://illinoissmall...tml/blowout.php

Guest rich mc

that's is a great lineup. Denny Sands has put together a special presentation on the rock projects at the lake this is not his famous shabbona program

that most may have seen before. most if not all of the rock projects had ISA involvement. Rockfest 2014 is planned for feb 1st. rich mc

• 2 weeks later...

dan1.jpg

Dan Basore, Featured Speaker

An avid angler from age 3 with many memorable catches, Dan was invited by Ray Scott to be one of the earliest lifetime members of the Bass Angler's Sportsman Society, B.A.S.S.

He served as President of the Indianapolis Bassmasters and won many tournaments including a National Bass tournament on Indianas Lake Monroe. Through this and exhibits of his Historical Fishing Display since 1968 at many sports shows, museums, the Bassmaster Classic and fishing clubs, he has met and become friends with the many including the who's-who of fishing, earning an advanced degree from them in angling.

Old-time friends included Gadabout Gaddis, Buck Perry, John Husar, Len Hartman, Jim Bagley, Bill Norman, Tom Mann and Bill Cullerton who are deceased and still include Al and Ron Lindner, Billy and Bobby Murray, Bill Dance, Dan Gapen and many more. By covering the Bassmaster Classic as a writer he knows many of the current and former top sticks.

He served as a field tester and was sponsored by companies including Shakespeare, Pflueger, Manns, Bagley, Bill Norman and was the first field tester for Humminbird and Shimano. Still competing in vintage tackle fishing and casting tournaments he has won more of these contests than anyone.

Basore has authored hundreds of articles about fishing and its history and has been a speaker for many years with crowds as large as thousands at the Indiana State Fair Coliseum one of the first instructors for the 1,500 attendees at the original Bass University and at many sports shows and fishing clubs. He specializes in teaching kids to fish with more productive methods, having taught Cub and Girl Scouts, school fishing clubs, foster children and more.

denny1.jpg

Denny Sands, Conservation Speaker

Denny Sands has been a part of the Illinois outdoor scene for many years. In 2010 he was inducted into the Illinois Outdoor Hall of Fame. As the founding president of Shabbona Lake Sportsman Club and owner of Shabbona Lakeside Bait & Tackle, no one has done more for the quality of the Shabbona Lake fishery than Denny. As an Air Force trained cartographer, he created the map of Shabbona Lake and will be discussing rock structure and conservation.

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed Dan B's talk.His reference to Gaddabout Gaddis The Flying Fisherman brought back nice memories of when I was young & just starting to flyfish. He had a tv show in which he used his small plane to fly around the country mostly to bassbug for lmb with his 8wt Shakespeare Wonderod.So the "flying fisherman" reference had a dubl meaning.

Every year we say that this is the best Blowout ever and this year was by far better than any before!

It is going to be a challenge to top this one next year but I know we will all dig in with our best effort to do just that,

My personal thanks to everyone involved for making this such a successful and enjoyable event.

Thanks to all the officers and volunteers who put together an excellent evening. I really enjoyed the speakers. Both Dan and Denny proved that there are some great fishing opportunities close to home.

In addition to the tremendous pride I have for the ISA, it's great to know we've got members like Dan Basore. A true gem and proof that the greatest fishing IS often the closest to home!

Thank you everyone for a great event! I bought the full day guided trip donated by Frontier Anglers TN. I talked to Josh on Sunday and let him know my appreciation for his donation and that I look forward to chasing some smallies with him. The trips/rods/all raffles were top notch. Thanks to all the ISA guys/gals who worked their butts off knocking on doors getting businesses and other members to donate. I took a neighbor, and he was very impressed all around with the event. I am looking forward to the next one, but even more-so I am looking forward to getting on the water! Put me down for a box of donated flies for next year's events.

-Forrest

1.jpg

Silent auction trip tables

2.jpg

Flies donated to the raffle

3.jpg

'Flies of the ISA' raffle prize

4.jpg

New Chicagoland Region Coordinator, Bart Durham

5.jpg

Mike Clifford's Conservation Station

6.jpg

Attendee name badges and check-in table

7.jpg

Jim Jozwiak, President & Executive Officer and Rich McElligott, Executive Officer

8.jpg

Setup at the hall

9.jpg

Fly Fishing Director & Executive Officer John Loebach and Northwest Region Coordinator Terry Dodge

10.jpg

Donated Jackson Kayak Coosa silent auction item

11.jpg

Member Jeff Tallis and his '10 for the 20th' custom rod raffle donation

12.jpg

A packed hall during Denny Sands' Shabbona Lake presentation

13.jpg

Guest speaker Denny Sands speaks about Shabbona Lake and its hotspots

14.jpg

Featured speaker Dan Basore and his historical tackle collection

15.jpg

Chicago Region Coordinator Eugene Collins and member Bruce Olson

16.jpg

Old blue-eyes himself, Jim Sinatra and Northwest Region Coordinator Paul Trybul working the raffle

17.jpg

Member Pat Hirschtick and her fishing calendar prize

18.jpg

Member Jeff Tallis and the winners of the '10 for the 20th' custom rod raffle

19.jpg

Setup in the hall

21.jpg

ISA President & Executive Officer Jim Jozwiak

20.jpg

Tasty 20th anniversary cakes (3) - a great idea by Scott Ferguson

22.jpg

A GoPro HERO3+ silent auction item

23.jpg

Al Agnew smallmouth print, 'flying fish,' Jackson Kayak Coosa

24.jpg

The ISA display booth that's normally used at larger tradeshows

25.jpg

ISA President & Executive Officer Jim Jozwiak

26.jpg

New products donated by Plano

27.jpg

Prize table lead by the Jackson Kayak Coosa

28.jpg

Box of swim jigs donated by Jonn Graham

29.jpg

Float-n-fly kit donated by Jonn Graham

30.jpg

Al Agnew framed smallmouth print

32.jpg

A close-up of our new vertical banner

Finally finished all of my shows. What a great season topped by the ISA Blowout. Your request yielded the recovery of many fond memories. The attention to speakers is most appreciated as some crowds rudely talk and disrupt programs, but there was none of this at the blowout. We truly have a great membership.

Never knowing how a presentation will go it was a thrill for this old geezer to get such a great response to Denny and I. Now to just get over my cold, follow up with the 99 people who want me to get their old tackle and fish trying out some of the latest gear.

Lures truly,

Dan

Sorry to have missed this year's event . . . my wife and I were vacationing two weeks visiting four Hawaiian islands. Looks like another successful gathering . . . plan to be there next week (after attending multiple outdoor fishing events once the weather cooperates) !!!