Fish Size

ronk

Fish reports are best when in addition to pics fish size is also included.Most of us should have those mini ISA tape measures or can get one at a hardware store.It's hard to tell from just a pic how big a fish actually is.Let's use 'em w or w/o a pic.It only takes a few seconds.

Slightly on/off topic, does anyone have a smallmouth bass specific equation where you can guesstimate weight by measuring length and girth and maybe some other variable?

Thanks and I agree with Eric, I'm just happy with pics of different smallies in all the color variations from around the state.

Oh, and btw, you know I'm going to lie to you anyway about the length of any fish I post.

Done!

Sent to 466 Crotchety Lane...

;-)

In all seriousness, I do enjoy laying tape across a big bass. I just don't expect everyone to do everything "my way."

Just how "big" was that alleged big bass.Could it be a 17? Could it be a19? Or could it be a15? It'd be nice to know wouldn't if it weren't so much trouble & time consuming "to lay tape across it"? B)

fishing reports that educate others as to environmental, climatic and current conditions while offering insights into lures/presentations that are effective in those conditions beat pictures and sizes of fish.

imho

Info, as Norm has stated, is better thanks pics. A pic of a smallmouth that leans towards the "dink" size (under 16") is not all that necessary to post in a report.

I edited in a pic of my 15 inch smallmouth in my "100% Colombian" report ["]http://illinoissmall...showtopic=9294] only because this smallmouth was caught on a little creek that had a bad year with staining and sediment last year with the draining of a quarry.

It's nice to see the creek bouncing back. Any size smallmouth from this creek puts a smile on my face.

I never said you have to write areport any certain way , include anything you don't wish to or not include pictures and sizes if you like.

I simply stated my opinion of what makes a good report.

Do what floats your cork.

fishing reports that educate others as to environmental, climatic and current conditions while offering insights into lures/presentations that are effective in those conditions beat pictures and sizes of fish.

imho

Norm

Why make it an either/or thing when it's not?

Terry

I agree.I never bother with a bass pic for any under !5"

& often under 16.As for measuring the 1st thing most if not all of us would like to know after how many is how big especially those of us who prefer size to #s.

Don

Your summary reports are the better for the few seconds you took out to include pics.

I fish barbless hooks, try to shake fish off in the water. Less stress on the fish more time fishing. If he jumps and comes off because of no barbs at least I got to see 'em. I'll hold one up to encourage the people I'm fishing with. You probably have to take some pictures to establish credability if you're guiding or selling lures. Nice to have pictures of kids or relatives with fish. I try to measure fish if I think they're over twenty inches. Don't have to worry about that too much. Did tell my wife to get me a water proof camera so I could get a few more pictures of fish and to record all the cool stuff you see out fishing. Sure do like when people explain the conditions they're fishing, type of water, structure, etc.

Phil F

It's all appreciated but certainly not mandated. We welcome all levels of forum participation. Even if you catch your first river smallmouth and want to share. Maybe you get skunked but see something cool. Maybe photography is your thing. It's all good. Everyone has their differences and that's what makes up a forum community. Nobody / nothing is "better" or "best."

If I have a camera with me and I feel like taking a pic, I do. If I feel like streching out a tape, I do. No matter the size or species. Photos and video capture part of the experience that I can share with others. I actually enjoy everyones reports on here no matter how they decide to do it. I do appreciate photos/video, fish sizes, and lure choices if you got them, but share what you feel like sharing.