Hula Grub Advice

bruce petersen

In my opinion that is the only color yammy to own in his full line. The color is magnificiant in Wisconsin Lakes. Caught my personal best LM @5.10lb on a 301 senko. The grubs are great too! Thanks the tips on hulla grubs. I was wondering the same thing for rivers. In Madison I use the hulla grub on a 1/4oz. football head slowly realing it down rocky breaks and bars.

The only problem I have had with the color is if you try to match it to another brands same make up. Hasn't been as effective. Berkely has one pretty close. Thanks again!

I agree on the 301 color. Only one I ever buy. Even if someone told me there was a color that worked 10x better I'd have a hard time believing it and would probably stick to 301. I too have tried other brands and tried to find a less expensive (but similar) alternative. I always circle back to Yamamoto. They work! And time is money. Glad to see another 301 fan here. B)

301.jpg

Thanks for the advice Eric

Bruce

Bruce,

I was wondering how this one would be answered since Gary Yam's Hula Grub comes in close to 120 colors. Boiling it down to one is a good trick. If I could just one, I would use a color that is not even on the chart. Start with a 217 (avacodo); put it in with 186 (pumpkin orange) grubs for a while till it gets a slightly orangy tint. The color holds a special place in my heart since it got me my IL largest 22" Largemouoth Bass from a FP Lake in DuPage Co.

Bruce,

I was wondering how this one would be answered since Gary Yam's Hula Grub comes in close to 120 colors. Boiling it down to one is a good trick. If I could just one, I would use a color that is not even on the chart. Start with a 217 (avacodo); put it in with 186 (pumpkin orange) grubs for a while till it gets a slightly orangy tint. The color holds a special place in my heart since it got me my IL largest 22" Largemouoth Bass from a FP Lake in DuPage Co.

Thanks for the advice Mike.

Bruce

If we are talking hula grubs, I don't think we should leave out the magic of the chompers hula grub. The green pumpkin and the watermellon seed are my favorite colors. They also make it in a 4" which is a smaller profile than the 5" yammys. For smallmouth I like the 4" for largemouth I like the 5". The chompers are also made of a more durable plastic. I like to fish that on a 1/4oz pro slider head. My advice comes with a warning. The chompers stink something fierce.

If we are talking hula grubs, I don't think we should leave out the magic of the chompers hula grub. The green pumpkin and the watermellon seed are my favorite colors. They also make it in a 4" which is a smaller profile than the 5" yammys. For smallmouth I like the 4" for largemouth I like the 5". The chompers are also made of a more durable plastic. I like to fish that on a 1/4oz pro slider head. My advice comes with a warning. The chompers stink something fierce.

Huge fan of the Garlic Chompers in those colors as well.

However, I did get schooled on one outing by a guy using "smoke" colored grubs.

I got blanked with watermelon, while he was right next to me hammering 'em.

Go figure.

• 6 months later...
Guest rich mc

at shabbona on sunday the largest bass for the league came on a hula grub 4.95lbs at 21 inches . caught on the roadbed rockpiles ISA helped fund and place . to bad it largemouth. rich