Autumn Smallmouth Bass Flies

SKollmann

Heading down to the Kankakee River Monday AM to fly fish with Bob Long, Jr. near the Warner Bridge. Would appreciate any suggestions re. flies to bring along that have proven successful when fishing for smallies in this river in early September. Thanks.

Bob Long, Jr. and I had a better day today in the same area around Warner Bridge . . . spent 3+ hours fly fishing in only a 1/4 mile stretch and between the two of us, we caught 12 smallmouth bass. Truth be told tho . . . Bob caught 9 and I caught 3. That said, one beautiful day on the river!

Seems like Steve K didn't take note Ron. It's not just an unwritten rule folks...it's in the registration agreements for this website. Don't mention spots.

I don't have time to read all notes posted on the ISA website . . . . that said, Don, a kinder update would have served better than your tone of a Truant Officer. Trust I won't be cast out of the Alliance for committing such a flagrant sin.

Right think I'll go back to not posting fishing reports, have a nice winter.

I'm with you, Mike . . . lest I be chastised once again which seems to be a habit of one particular ISA member.

Hi Steve,

If smallies won't hit poppers (which they may), don't give up on top water. Try some large terrestrials patterns like foam hopper patterns. We've found in Minnesota they work very well in late summer when the fish won't aggressively take poppers. The take is very subtle, like a trout - very cool.

post-1507-0-49856000-1315919296_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Brad . . . I did bring along some poppers yesterday, but the smallies weren't in the mood. So Bob gave me another morsel which caught all of my three fish and several of his . . . namely, a small jig, small plastic and very small Gulp minnow.

That said, I'm still a fan of poppers and will add terrestrial hoppers to my fishing menu as well.

Thanks, Brad . . . I did bring along some poppers yesterday, but the smallies weren't in the mood. So Bob gave me another morsel which caught all of my three fish and several of his . . . namely, a small jig, small plastic and very small Gulp minnow.

That said, I'm still a fan of poppers and will add terrestrial hoppers to my fishing menu as well.

I have been using a black popper in the evenings with good success. Pulling with the current is tough but has performed better than pulling upstream. Just my .02.

Forgive me, if I am reading something post edit...

It's a big river. Warner bridge is like mentioning St. Charles on the Fox. It's not even a spot, it's a vacinity and a place to park.

There's a big population around here too.And anyone not just ISA members can access these posts.Not mentioning "spots" includes general areas including towns as well.Some of our members including those who go back to ISA's origins don't ever mention even the river.Fishing reports are for how to not where too info.I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

There's a big population around here too.And anyone not just ISA members can access these posts.Not mentioning "spots" includes general areas including towns as well.Some of our members including those who go back to ISA's origins don't ever mention even the river.Fishing reports are for how to not where too info.I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

Sorry Ron, I am kind of a noob to the organization. No one sent me that memo. Thanks for the update.

Amazing how my very first post about catching fish at a specific cited location (which proved to be an ISA violation) has generated so much response. I guess that I'm not the only one who failed to read or understand the "Rules of the Game" before I recorded the results of my successful day on the Kankakee River.

In the word of some famous (or infamous) author . . . Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

• 3 weeks later...

Float and Fly with a small bucktail jig suspended under an indicator worked for me last week in an Ontario , Canada lake.

100_0233.jpg

One of my biggest bass on the flyrod. Ironically this lake is known for quality smallmouth and my buddy got several over 20 inches. Here's me the smallmouth afficianado getting "skunked" on smallies with my back up species. I actually caught two like this. When I dredged the bottom in search of my trophy smallmouth I came up with a 10 pound Northern Pike. Not what I set out for, but I'm not complaining.

That float'nfly approach works well this time of year.

God Bless,

Don

Float and Fly with a small bucktail jig suspended under an indicator worked for me last week in an Ontario , Canada lake.

One of my biggest bass on the flyrod. Ironically this lake is known for quality smallmouth and my buddy got several over 20 inches. Here's me the smallmouth afficianado getting "skunked" on smallies with my back up species. I actually caught two like this. When I dredged the bottom in search of my trophy smallmouth I came up with a 10 pound Northern Pike. Not what I set out for, but I'm not complaining.

That float'nfly approach works well this time of year.

God Bless,

Don

I was out for a multi day trip far from home so I needed my full arsenal and a supply of food and drink in the small cooler. Had to leave the "sink" behind.

God Bless,

Don