NW Region Apple Wade Outing

Saturday the 16th we are having our NW regional Apple river outing. The meeting time will be at 8AM. This is a small scenic river so we ask that you RSVP to make sure we have enough guides. Please contact Paul T at 815-703-2651 if you plan to attend. Current conditions show the river is flowing at a low level which should be perfect for wading. I'll bring some chicken feathers for any flyfisherman that are interested.

4 ISA members, Paul T, Paul T Sr, Rich V & Deb C gathered for the NW regional fishing outing on the Apple. We had a little light rain and some heat in the afternoon but other than that conditions were pretty good. Rich arrived first and said he observed 2 other anglers fishing wacky style senkos. He said they caught about 1/2 dozen each. You hate to fish right behind other anglers that look like they know what they're doing, but that's the way it goes when you fish public land sometimes. We actually did OK. I caught a nice one on topwater on my 2nd cast.

Deb caught close to a dozen on senko style baits

Rich stuck with the fly rod and he caught a few. I tried a lot of different lures. The only thing I caught more than 1 fish on was hulagrubs. As a group I estimate we caught & released around 30 smallmouth which is pretty slow for the average Apple outing. We did get some quality fish up to 18" and enjoyed some nice scenery.

Paul,

Good report. I was vacationing with my family in the area ( Apple Canyon Lake) and couldn't make it for your outing Saturday. Did fish the park and section by the Scout camp Friday morning with my son in law. Between the two of us we caught about 20. I fished the Scout camp section again early this morning and caught another 7. Caught the smallmouth at the park using large plastics. Used small plastics down by the Scout camp section.

Fished the Apple Canyon Lake Saturday for bluegills and did real well. Had a good bluegill fry Saturday evening.

Dave

Dave,

Rich filled me in on you plans for the weekend. I'm glad you had fun fishing with the family. I guess I was doing the same thing when you had your outing a few weeks earlier. I thought you might recognize the last picture. It looked alot better than it produced. Plastics both large and small had the best results on our outing. Low and slow was the way they wanted it except for a few. We still need to get together and fish sometime this summer.

Gregg, I was planning on giving you a call. Were you thinking up north or local?

Thinking about going to Apple River for te first time Friday. I will be fishing mostly out of my kayak. What are some good areas to fish and what are some reccommended lures? Thanks for your input

I don't recommend kayaking the Apple. During normal summer flow it gets extremely low and rocky. Also they don't allow boating/floating in the State Park section. That pretty much leaves you with knocking on doors to gain private access.

Ok, Thanks Paul. How about the Sugar River in Winnebago Co.? Also, what section on the Kishwaukee River seems to be more productive this year? I have floated from Belvedere to the Rock this year but I have not been on the South Branch. I'm wanting to get out this Friday and Saturday.

I've never fished the Sugar. I hear it has smallmouth but I've also heard the part that flows through Wisconsin is better that the deeper sandier IL section. The Kishwaukee river has been disappointing for me for about 3 years in a row now. Its hard for me to recommend a productive section. Taking the time to float it is definately more productive than wading. I would also avoid "tuber alley" on the weekends during the summer. That is primarily bewteen Baumann Park & Kishwaukee Porest Preserve. Too much craziness to try and catch fish.

I've never fished the Sugar. I hear it has smallmouth but I've also heard the part that flows through Wisconsin is better that the deeper sandier IL section. The Kishwaukee river has been disappointing for me for about 3 years in a row now. Its hard for me to recommend a productive section. Taking the time to float it is definately more productive than wading. I would also avoid "tuber alley" on the weekends during the summer. That is primarily bewteen Baumann Park & Kishwaukee Porest Preserve. Too much craziness to try and catch fish.

Thanks again.