Wanted: 4wt Fly rod

Ryan Kral

Hey guys, I am looking to get a 4wt Fly Rod, preferably nothing to fancy, only going to use it a handful of times. Even better if someone has a Rod/Reel combo. Let me know if youre looking to sell one. Thanks, Ryan

Hey guys, I am looking to get a 4wt Fly Rod, preferably nothing to fancy, only going to use it a handful of times. Even better if someone has a Rod/Reel combo. Let me know if youre looking to sell one. Thanks, Ryan

Ryan, I have a Scott 10' 4 wt that I seldom use anymore; it's been lovingly used and I've added a fighting butt, screw-in, to it. Being a bit long, it is great for use from a float tube or canoe. I'd be willing to sell it, and may have a reel that would fit with it well.

I don't know if it is OK to put my phone # in, but here it is: 217-781-1630. Call or respond if you are interested!

John Oerter

Ryan, I have a Scott 10' 4 wt that I seldom use anymore; it's been lovingly used and I've added a fighting butt, screw-in, to it. Being a bit long, it is great for use from a float tube or canoe. I'd be willing to sell it, and may have a reel that would fit with it well.

I don't know if it is OK to put my phone # in, but here it is: 217-781-1630. Call or respond if you are interested!

John Oerter

John,

If this is not what Ryan is looking for, I would be interested in talking to you.

Ryan, Cabela's has a Redington Crosswater 9ft. 5wt. outfit in it's bargain bin right now for $49.00. I own one of the older models. It's a way great deal for rod, reel, and line. The rod alone is going for $39.00 in the bargain bin.

I hear the Cabela's Three Forks rods are a good value too. The 4wt. usually runs $49.00.

Good luck on your search.

Ryan, Cabela's has a Redington Crosswater 9ft. 5wt. outfit in it's bargain bin right now for $49.00. I own one of the older models. It's a way great deal for rod, reel, and line. The rod alone is going for $39.00 in the bargain bin.

I hear the Cabela's Three Forks rods are a good value too. The 4wt. usually runs $49.00.

Good luck on your search.

I just opened a Cabela's Bargain Cave flyer that came in the mail today. It advertises a 7 1/2 ft. 4wt. outfit for $49.99 too. Rod only is $29.50. Cabela's toll free # 1-800-237-4444.

Hello Ryan,

I have a buddy that has a 9ft. 4# CV2 by Bass Pro that is a kit of rod, reel and WF floating line that he wants to sell. I don't know what you're looking for, but I own the 3# version of this set and I have landed some really nice fish on it. I would call it a medium-fast action rod. the reel has a good drag system, and it is a good looking reel with the rod. Let me know if you're still looking, and I'll get the two of you together.

John Oerter

Hey John, I think I messed up my first reply, sorry if you get 2. Unfortunately I looking for something a little shorter, a couple of the creeks I use this on tend to have some overhead objects. Thanks for the speedy reply. Ryan

John,

If this is not what Ryan is looking for, I would be interested in talking to you.

Mannym,

Ryan wants something shorter; so you're good to go. Give me a call, if you want: 217-781-1630 ... or whatever the best way to do this in the forum is; I'm pretty new to it.

Hey John, I think I messed up my first reply, sorry if you get 2. Unfortunately I looking for something a little shorter, a couple of the creeks I use this on tend to have some overhead objects. Thanks for the speedy reply. Ryan

Ryan, that's fine ... I use a shorter one in tight quarters, too.

I have to laugh when I see those bargain prices, because I can't possibly build a fly rod for much less than $50 (materials cost alone) and that's built on a really crappy blank, crummy cork and a cheap reel seat.

Do I detect a little snobbishness here? Somehow we need to spend a lot for a stick to use to throw a line, and something on which to wind up the line.

Fred, not snobbishness but rather envy, what I meant to say is, "How the heck can they sell you a rod for $20 when I can't purchase a decent piece of cork and reel seat for that amount. I'm the first one in line to tell you that there is very little correlation between the price of a rod and how well it might fish for you. If you saw my personal gear you would quickly realize that I won't be starring in any Sage commercials.

Do I detect a little snobbishness here? Somehow we need to spend a lot for a stick to use to throw a line, and something on which to wind up the line.

Not really, Fredmo. The old addage, "You get what you pay for", definately applies, here. I bought an "elcheapo" flyrod many years ago. It STUNK! I mean, you literally could not cast the thing any distance, or accurately. That's NOT to say, that you could not get a good rod for $100. I bought the Cabela's Stowaway 5-pc 3 wt rod a couple of years ago, for $95. It was tested by FlyFish America some 7-8 years ago. It beat out rods costing 4 times as much!!! And, my best friend was so impressed with it, he bought one, as well.

So, while you don't have to buy something to impress the tweed & Cane crowd, you should absolutely test cast any flyrod that lists for under $50, before buying. As, I have yet to test cast a flyrod costing under $50 that I cared anything for. But, who knows, anything's possible...

Now, I wish I could be more helpful to the original poster, but I've noticed a sharp uptick, in the price of fly gear lately. The brands, or specific rods, I would have mentioned for your consideration, are gone now. Albright, used to have good prices, but they've decided to try to compete at the Sage/Orvis/Scott level.

I have an old school 4wt bamboo orvis rod I'm kinda looking to sell... Its in excellent condition and is still in the original alluminum rod tube. Might be more than you are looking to spend but it is a gorgeous rod... PM me if interested.

At the risk of being accused of rod snobbery, inexpensive rods can be an excellent example of false economy. If you know you'll be fishing the driftless for the next decade, my advice is to stretch as far as you can budget-wise and make sure to invest in equipment which meets your particular needs and casting style. Testing a rod is a must, so either make your way to Cabela's or a dealer and line a few up. If you know what suits you best, save some dollars and consider having someone build you a rod. Dan, of Dan's Tackle in Chicago could build you a nice whatever you want, and tell you where to fish it too. IMO a warranty is a must. (Sage and others will fix custom rods for a small fee). I haven't broken many rods but it happens and the good companies stand behind their product. I had an older Orvis rod (20+ years) with a snapped tip. Brought it to the Orvis store, they took it no questions asked, lent me a Helios to fish with in the interim (a much nicer rod than I was having fixed), and returned my rod a couple weeks later at zero cost. I fished the rod last week up at Oak Creek on the beach--still performs very well. Some companies will just outright replace a rod. So in effect, you are buying a lifetime rod, or at least one that will get you through 2031. Can you spare 20 bucks a year? Do you want to pay more in tolls than for your rod?

That's not to say that you have to spend a bundle. My Albright is fantastic (though they charge a fee to repair) and I still fish one of my first rods, a Berkley, for bass. It's great and fun but I'd be lying if I said it was in the same league as rods I bought later. (Albright lists their rods for much more than they sell them for--just wait and they have a sale every few weeks, marking their rods down by hundreds.) I got an A5 5 wt for 100 bucks. Then again, if you really are only going to use it "a few times" then go with the cheap set up. I am sure it will work well enough and you'll have some extra scratch for some Leini and New Glarus ales.

As I see it prices of flyrods really started to escalate about 20+ yrs ago when Jim Greene, the rod maker for Fenwick, the developer of the graphite rod,left Fenwick to form the Sage Rod Co. & started charging a greater premium for his rods allowing other high end mfrs to increase price also. At the time you could buy a topline Fenwick flyrod for $100 which is about $300 today less than half the cost of today's topline rods.Fortunately in response to prices getting so far out of hand mfrs including Sage have in recent years introduced very nice less expensive series of flyrods into their offerings mostly in response to the advent of lower end cos.such as TFO,Albright etc.Some formerly prestigous high end rod cos such as Powell & Thomas and Thomas while they may still be in existence have dropped off the map.I use several Powells purchased years ago( 2 4wts a 6 & an 8) which continue to serve me very well.They're the oldest commercial rod mfr even prerdating Orvis by a few years around the turn of the century.They were my favorite high end rods comparable in performance & aesthetics to Winstons at a lesser price.For awhile they even offered to custom build a rod for only $25 more.

OK... I want to slap the **** out of both those teddy bears! biggrin.gif

Do I detect an anger management issue or are you envious because you don't own a 9 ft, 5 wt, 4 piece fly rod made from multiple carefully chosen high modulus carbon fibers and a new space age resin system. :P

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.