Fishing Celebs

Norm M

I don't want to hijack the other thread so I thought I'd start a new one about fishing celebs you've spent time with at shows or elsewhere, like eric riding the train with Mike Norris.

One of the first was George Liddle Jr a BASS tourney guy and now on North American Fisherman. His father George Liddle Sr was a well respected and known figure on the local fishing scene as well. We used to hang out at thier cottage in Sumava Resorts fishing, playing cards and sipping brews.

I used to do what I could when I was younger to get into shows as a vendor so I could meet the big guys. If that didn't work, I'd suggest lunch/dinner/beers to spend a little time with them. Over the years I got to spend some quality time with folks like Buck Perry, Spence Petros, Al Lindner, Dan Sura, Gary Roach, the Martin brothers[at the fishing college in Terre haute] and of course my guru Dan Gapen.There were other lesser lights as well. The point is most of these are are good people, who, when they have the time are willing to talk to you.

Shoot Al Lindner took the time to chat with my soon to be wife at one of the shows. He also wanted my InFish cap as he said it was the most disreputable hat he had ever seen[yes Jim worse than those shirts I used to wear]. I offered to give it to him and take him fishing as well. He said he didn't have the time but I did get a free hat as well as keeping the moldy oldy as well. One other thing with Al was that I'd generally get in one at best two questions and he would be off to the races. you never knew where the answer would end up but I always learned something.

Be polite and considerate and you never know.

The closest thing to a celebrity fisherman that I've talked to would be Ted Peck. He was fairly local for a while, then he branched out and got a few tv spots. He used to fish the BassHawgs tournaments on the Rock every year too. I have also met a celebrity that fishes and that's John Mahone. I met him in Delavin on my way to launch. He was heading out with someone I didn't recognize but we talked for a few minutes. He's the dad from the show Frasier by the way. By Martin brothers do you mean Rolands boys Scott and his brother? And the Lindners, man that's awesome.

I did get to talk to Dan Gapen at a couple shows. I really like his book,"Creeks to Love and Remember." I bought some tackle from him and he threw in a bunch of Ugly Bugs and flies that he said worked well for him on my favorite small stream. He said he had fished it years ago and remembered it well. A friend of mine is a great fan of Doug Stange. He called his office a couple times and just asked the sec. if Doug was in. Next thing he knew he was talking flathead fishing with Doug himself. The next time Doug answered the phone.

I would love to talk to Al Lindner in person.

Several years ago at the Arlington Park outdoor show, Mark Kasick and I ran into Al and we asked him to come back to the ISA booth with us where he chatted and posed for pictures. He was very interested in what we do.

2qtd20o.jpg

I also met Al while I was on a fishing trip on Rainy Lake. Super nice guy. I really had to laugh because while I don't often spend anytime chasing walleyes, the fellow I was on the trip with and I hired a guide for the day and we spent most of the time walleye fishing. The funny thing was that during my chat with Al Lindner, he was asking ME about walleye fishing. That's like Bob Clouser asking Joz for fly fishing tips!

That's cool Scott. Speaking of walleyes, I was fishing a shoreline with some buddies during a Masters Walleye tournament. We were catching some dandy sized sauger and some of the guys in the tournament noticed our success. They moved in on us right away making it near impossible for us to cast. We were not happy and some words were exchanged. After some time with no luck they moved on. Another boat that was nearby then moved in but gave us all the casting room we needed. It turned out to be Gary Roach. He apologized for the behavior of the boats that pinched us in. We had started catching fish again and told him he was welcome to move in and get a better angle but he insisted on keeping his distance. A class act.

I was on a fly-in fishing trip up in Canada with Craig Riendeau and some other guys when we ran into Babe Winkleman who was at the main lodge filming one of his TV shows. It's a long story, but the lodge owner sent Babe on some fly outs for trophy brook trout including the area that were staying. For a couple of days we could not fish the water where we were supposed to fish because Babe had the boats we were supposed to be using! This picture was taken before that happened. Although it wasn't Babe's fault, I never forgave the lodge owner who I used to do a lot of business with. Haven't been back to one of his camps since.

2urnfv4.jpg

The closest thing to a celebrity fisherman that I've talked to would be Ted Peck. He was fairly local for a while, then he branched out and got a few tv spots. He used to fish the BassHawgs tournaments on the Rock every year too. I have also met a celebrity that fishes and that's John Mahone. I met him in Delavin on my way to launch. He was heading out with someone I didn't recognize but we talked for a few minutes. He's the dad from the show Frasier by the way. By Martin brothers do you mean Rolands boys Scott and his brother? And the Lindners, man that's awesome.

No it was Bobby Martin and his brother whose name escapes in my dotage. They were involved in the fishing college thing yea long ago that was held at the school in Terre Huate His brothers name will pop back into memory at some odd moment. I donated the manual I got there to the local high school fishing team or I'd just look in there.

Do any of you remember Tony Portincaso, maybe had him for a teacher? He was an interesting guy to talk to as well. He taught somewhere in the NW burbs if I remember correctly.

You mean this Norm Minas? This is a rare photo of him with one of the many 20 plus inch fish he catches every year.

2rwq1ck.jpg

I knew that picture would turn up again. Caught on a tube out of a weed patch where I saw a distrubance. I caught the biggest carp in my life on a tube a year or two ago., hmmm................. is this a pattern?

If I remember right Joz took that photo, Bob Putrich may have been there, some sort of officer's meeting.

I've fished with a guy named Norm Minas a few times on the Kankakee.

You may have heard of him.

Only photos I have are of he and his kid working for the sake of the river, not fishing.

:)

Those are my favorite type of photos, everyone has fishing pictures. Well, except for those who don't carry cameras.

I was on a fly-in fishing trip up in Canada with Craig Riendeau and some other guys when we ran into Babe Winkleman who was at the main lodge filming one of his TV shows. It's a long story, but the lodge owner sent Babe on some fly outs for trophy brook trout including the area that were staying. For a couple of days we could not fish the water where we were supposed to fish because Babe had the boats we were supposed to be using! This picture was taken before that happened. Although it wasn't Babe's fault, I never forgave the lodge owner who I used to do a lot of business with. Haven't been back to one of his camps since.

2urnfv4.jpg

Scott

I don't blame you especially if the owner didn't offer any consideration such as a sizeable discount on that trip or any future trip.

Just got home from Rosemont show. Saw Gary Roach there today. Shook Ted's hand Ted ( the big cheese for lindy tackle) dont want to misspell his name.

I had my camera in my pocket and i didnt think about it. Doh! Help me out here what is his last name?????? any way years ago I had a small joke going with the LIndner

brothers and Gary Roach. My partner and i had finally caught some walleyes. In our annual carpenter walleye tournament, The pros were all around us and a few other carpenter

boats were all close bye. My partner and I hook fish at the same time. we kind of fell off our spot on the spot. Most other boats stayed away saying something as we drifted by.

Soon as i had my fish in the live well, I jumped on the trolling motor working our way back to the spot. Meanwhile Gary Roach is sitting on our spot with the Lindners teasing him.

As we get to the spot i ask Gary if he is in our tournament, He says no as the Lindners are still poking him I tell him to move. Back at weigh in the Lindners approach my parnter

and i to go bust Gary some more. They have him blocked at the ramps, they have a bunch of people in on the joke but not Gary. They gave us plano boxes of jigs to go give him a hard time.

We did and there had to be 300 people at our weigh in. Finally he gave a box of jigs to leave him alone. The whole In-Fisherman crew were rolling on the ground laughing. Babe

Winkelman has the hood of his truck up just rolling this great big bear of a laugh. Theres Ted patting us on the back for a well played joke. One of my favorite memories..

I dont think Gary Roach recogonized me today (thankfully) but Ted did.

Well, I've never met a fishing celebrity, but I have encountered a celebrity while fishing. Back in the late 1990's, I used to fish Lake Mendota in Madison WI regularly. A few times I came upon golfer Steve Stricker and his wife while fishing Picnic Point and Second Point, famous locations for walleyes and smallies. Steve has always been known as one of the nicest guys in golf, and I'll have to say he was the same while fishing. Many guys would leave the spot by going away full throttle, sending the remaining fishermen on a carnival ride of wakes. Steve exited very slowly, clearly trying not to disturb the other fishermen. These encounters were in June, when Madison fishermen would set up along the emerging weedlines in the evening and night with slip bobbers and leeches or worms. Steve seemed to be a considerate guy. I went out with a tremendous guide on the Madison chain, Ron Barefield, a couple of times. Ron mentioned that he had taken out Steve and a few of his PGA colleagues a few times, and mentioned what a good guy and dedicated fisherman Steve was.

Back in the early 80s our secretary,Betty, had a cabin on Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas. Bud Erhardt, the creator of the wrap around spiral guide casting rods, was her neighbor. She new him well. He owned a lodge on the lake at the time. Betty,introduced me to him and he took the time to take me for a spin on his bass boat. I don't recall the boat's maker or the size of the motor, but I had never been on a nicer faster boat. It was quite a thrill. Bud does not own the rod company anymore, but they kept his name Bud Erhardt Fishin Sticks. I believe they are now made here in Illinois.