Bird Watchers

Paul Trybul

For all of you bird watchers and photographers, I have a closer to to Chicagoland lead. I've been traveling between Rockford & Dixon lately along Rt 2 which runs parallel to the Rock River. Most of the River is frozen but in the open areas I have spotted many bald eagles and other large birds of prey. The other ones are proabably immature bald eagles. The main locations have been the hot water discharge between Byron and Oregon, below the Oregon dam and below the Dixon dam or the trees just downstream of the Dixon High School. There is no way to get close to the ones by the discharge. Your best photo opportunites would be off of the sidewalk on the Rt64 bridge in Oregon, IL. 90% of the time I drive by I see one perched in the trees on the islands near the the rt64 bridge. Don't sue me for gas money if you drive out and don't see any but you definately have a good chance right now.

For anyone interested. Starved Rock State Park is having their annual Eagle Day's this weekend. It has been a good winter for spotting eagles this year, so I would expect to see quite a few this year. In years past I have counted over 100 eagles. Also, there is an indoor viewing area on the north side of the river so you can watch in relative warmth.

I saw one flying over Lake Summerset yesterday at 4:00 P. While the Illinois river is where we expect to see eagles, it seems that this year we are seeing them in many other places. Does anyone know why?

I saw one flying over Lake Summerset yesterday at 4:00 P. While the Illinois river is where we expect to see eagles, it seems that this year we are seeing them in many other places. Does anyone know why?

They got the band back together and are on a mission from God?

I would think it's because their numbers are expanding and are looking for new range.

Look at your crystal ball. Remember that the concentrations we are seeing are caused by severe cold. Ask your crystal ball if the conditions in late February will be the same as they were in early January.

Go now. Who knows what things will be like late Fwbruary. That's almost March!

There are bald eagles in the starved rock area year round, but only concentrations of them in the winter months, espesially when the river is frozen over. The river is open right now. The eagles are spread farther up and down stream from the lock and dam visitor center which is across from the park. There should still be some hanging around the dam. The best viewing is from the lock and dam visitor center. Check out the buffalo at Buffalo Rock too. It also has some nice trails.

For those in the know, how long are there likely to be eagles in the Starved Rock area ? Wife wants to go up there on the last weekend in February for some bird watching. Will that be too late?

It is dependent on whether or not the illinois is frozen or not. You can call the visitor center or Starved Rock State Park for an update. I would say late Feb is too late.

In spring the waterfalls are spectacular.

We're going to try and make it over there on the 13th so hopefully the eagles will hang around. Plus I remember there is a neat little Irish Pub that had a great burger and corned beef sandwich at a small town near by. Think it was like Duffey's in Utica?

Guest airbornemike

saw one soaring over the Fox in Montgomery two days in a row now, same spot both times. Plus theres the local that lives over in Batavia I see on the way to work.

We're going to try and make it over there on the 13th so hopefully the eagles will hang around. Plus I remember there is a neat little Irish Pub that had a great burger and corned beef sandwich at a small town near by. Think it was like Duffey's in Utica?

Duffey's in Utica would be it. Canal port also has good food and a nice atmosphere. Actually, any of the eating establishments in town have good food. Hope you find some birds.Saw some along the river this morning on the way to Ottawa.

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, I stopped at the park after work and saw 5 eagles hanging around the island. I hope you were able to see a few over the weekend and also enjoy a good sandwich.